This page gives some direction of what we hope the next few releases will contain.
It should be updated as new releases come out, or the themes/emphasis of a release change.
Of course this is all highly subject to change based on what the user community needs, and what developers choose (or are tasked) to work on.
The release numbering is also subject to change.
Three new important features
- Goal Timeframe: September 2018
- pre/post processor support (DAFFODIL-1734) - enables IETF format needs like line folding, and base64 encoding
- message streaming API (DAFFODIL-1065, DAFFODIL-1526, DAFFODIL-1799) enables unbounded stream of input messages for parsing, output for unparsing
- Goal Timeframe: Nov 2018
- BLOB support (DAFFODIL-1735) - enables large image file formats
- Implements features needed to demonstrate high degree of interop of the two primary DFDL implementations which are IBM's and Daffodil.
- A large number of JIRA tickets associated with this.
Usability, Community Growth
- Goal Timeframe: Year End 2018, and beyond
- Debug/Trace improvements
- Schema compilation speed/space improvements
- Improved developer documentation of Daffodil's internals.
- Tutorials on authoring DFDL schemas
- ... and your needed features here!
- Goal Timeframe: before end Q3 2019
- Improved SAX-event-style streaming behavior for runtime (parsing and unparsing)
... more things to be added here