Installing Apache JAMES
1. Download Apache JAMES from: http://apache2.openmirrors.org/james/server/binaries/james-2.3.0.zip
2. Unzip file and run JAMES by executing: \james-2.3.0\bin\run.bat. You should see something like this:
3. Make sure JavaMail module is started:
- For trunk and v2.0-M1: org.apache.geronimo.configs/javamail/2.0-SNAPSHOT/car (by default this is started)
- For v1.2-beta: org.apache.geronimo.configs/javamail/1.2-beta/car (by default this is not started)
- To start the module you can:
a. Use the Web Console: Applications > System Modules > Click 'Start' link beside the JavaMail module ID
b. Use command line deployer:
c. Stop the server. Modify <geronimo_home>\var\config\config.xml and set JavaMail module load attribute to 'true':
Web Application to Test
Create a simple webapp containing the following files:
geronimo-web.xml: This deployable is using Geronimo 2.0's JavaMail component, so it needs to specify where to look. It does this under the <dependencies> tag. As Geronimo changes, these paths need to be changed accordingly to ensure that it refers to the same things. Under the <resource-ref> element, it is referring to a JavaMail session. This is what allows the developer to reference resources that resides on the server. The <ref-name> element is used in the web.xml so the two must be consistent. The <resource-link> element specifies the default Geronimo mail session.
Building and Deploying the Web Application
Download the sendmail application from the following link:
After decompressing the given file, the sendmail directory will be created.
You can checkout the source code of this sample from SVN:
Building the Web Application
The sendmail folder will already contain an ear file ready to be deployed. However, you can still play with the source and build it yourself.
Use a command prompt to navigate into the sendmail directory and just give mvn install site command to build. It will overwrite the sendmail-ear-2.0-SNAPSHOT.ear under the sendmail folder.
Deploying the Web Application
- Navigate to Deploy New from the Console Navigation panel.
- Load sendmail-ear-2.0-SNAPSHOT.ear from sendmail folder in to the Archive input box.
- Press Install button to deploy application in the server.
5. Test send mail webapp by going to: http://localhost:8080/sendmail
Fill up the form (From, To, Subject, Message fields) and click 'Send' button. You should get a similar message if the mail was sent successfully: