It is very likely that you will not want to have the Geronimo server process under the super user root. The following are a series of simple steps for changing the ownership and permissions for the required files in order to run Geronimo with a different user.
The following tasks should be performed while logged in as root or a user with enough access rights.
- Create a new user (i.e. gmo) and add it to a specific user group. You could use the predefined www user group for instance.
- Edit the .bashrc for the user you just created and add the PATH and JAVA_HOME variables:
- Change the user group to all the subdirs in <geronimo_home>
- Create a deploy directory within the <geronimo_home> directory structure.
- Change the access permissions to the following directories
- Login as the new user (i.e. gmo)
- Start the server
You are now able to run and deploy applications with a user other than root.