Apache Geronimo Board Report
Active development has begun to spin down on branches/2.2 in order to prepare for a release.
- Trunk has been moved into branches/2.2 in order to hold the JavaEE 5/Java 1.5 compatible server development tree.
- Trunk has begun preparations to hold the new JavaEE 6 compatible server development tree. Using OSGi as the framework for Geronimo has been discussed and work has begun in sandbox to develop a working model.
- JASPI 1.0 - released Sept. 15
- TXManager 2.1.3 - released Sept. 16
- Blueprint 1.0.0 - released Sept. 16. The implementation of the OSGi Blueprint specification that has been developed has been contributed to the new Aries podling on Sept. 28. It is expected that it as well as the other bundles developed within Aries will be used within a future version of the Geronimo server.
- Work has begun to get DayTrader ready for a 2.2 release.
- In the Geronimo Eclipse Plugin (GEP) a number of bugs have been corrected and new enhancements added. The current development is targeting Eclipse Galileo - but there is not yet an official release.
- XBean 3.6 was released in September.
A number of spec updates were released:
- geronimo-jpa_1.0_spec-1.1.2 - released Sept. 18
- geronimo-jacc_1.1_spec-1.0.2 - released Sept. 15
Work has begun to implement some of the draft JavaEE 6 spec api jars. This had been complicated by the fact that some Specs are using outdated templates with restrictive licensing terms. This problem has been fixed and the following were released:
- geronimo-jpa_2.0_spec-1.0-PFD2 - released Oct. 5
- geronimo-validation_1.0_spec-1.0-CR5 - release Oct. 5
A patched build of Tomcat 6.0.20 was created and released on Spet. 21 as org.apache.geronimo.ext.tomcat-22.214.171.124
There has been some progress at getting Geronimo to run within Apache Karaf - this work is ongoing though.
JUGs and Conferences
In preparation for ApacheCon in November, work has begun on a half day presentation track to discuss where Geronimo is now and where it may be going in the near future.
The user and developer community have gained a number of new names (as evidenced by an increase of activity on both the user and dev lists). Several people have been asked to become committers and one to join the PMC.
There have been no new security flaws found in Geronimo since the last board report.
New PMC Members
- Ivan Xu
- Xuan "Delos" Dai
- Lin "Shawn" Quan Jian
- Lei "Rex" Wang
Other Issues and News
The Java EE 6 TCK has been received from Sun.
The Geronimo sources have been mirrored to git.apache.org for checkout (read-only).