- KIP Freeze: May 10, 2017 (a KIP must be accepted by this date in order to be considered for this release)
- Feature Freeze: May 17, 2017 (major features merged & working on stabilization, minor features have PR, release branch cut; anything not in this state will be automatically moved to the next release in JIRA)
- Code Freeze: May 31, 2017 (first RC created now)
- Release: June 14, 2017 ♥
These dates are goals and subject to change, but we expect to stay on the Time Based Release Plan unless unexpected critical issues come up. While the target release date is fixed at ~2w after code freeze, RCs will roll out as needed until the release vote passes.
The release manager is Ismael Juma.
This is a list of key features/improvements/bugfixes that we can include with release notes (WIP):
- Exactly-once delivery and transactional messaging
- Streams exactly-once semantics
- Record headers
- Request rate quotas
- Improved resiliency: replication protocol improvement and single-threaded controller
How to Contribute
Before code freeze:
- Participate in votes and discussions to land or postpone the open KIPs
- Review patches. We anticipate that this release will be bottlenecked mostly on reviews. The more reviewers, the more content we can fit in.
- Write system tests. We want to preserve the tradition of high-quality releases in Apache Kafka.
After code freeze:
- Test the release candidates
- Open bugs on important issues found
- Fix bugs
- Review bug fixes
- Vote on RCs. Even though only PMC votes are binding, community votes are super important as we evaluate the readiness of the release
Planned KIP Content
Note: The planned content is not binding - final content will be based the features committed by branch-cutting date.
See Kafka Improvement Proposals for the full list of KIPs.
KIPs Bumped to Next Release
|1||KIP-48 Delegation token support for Kafka||- KAFKA-1696Getting issue details... STATUS||Security||PR not available|
|2||KIP-72: Allow putting a bound on memory consumed by Incoming request||- KAFKA-4602Getting issue details... STATUS||Network||Jun Rao||It was deemed safer to merge this to trunk early in the release cycle for the next release.|
|3||KIP-81: Bound Fetch memory usage in the consumer||- KAFKA-4133Getting issue details... STATUS||Consumer||Has a dependency on KIP-72 (which is still in progress) and there is no PR available, seems prudent to postpone it to the subsequent release.|
|4||KIP-112: Handle disk failure for JBOD||- KAFKA-4763Getting issue details... STATUS||Broker||Needs more review time and makes sense to be part of the same release as KIP-113.|
|5||KIP-118: Drop Support for Java 7||- KAFKA-4423Getting issue details... STATUS||Build||Postponed for a variety of reasons|
|6||KIP-120: Cleanup Kafka Streams builder API||- KAFKA-3856Getting issue details... STATUS||Streams||Guozhang Wang||Unable to review it in time for the feature freeze|
|7||KIP-138: Change punctuate semantics||- KAFKA-5233Getting issue details... STATUS||Streams||Guozhang Wang||High impact change that needs more time to review|