Membrane is Data Federation as a RESTful service, based on Apache MetaModel.
The project was just recently accepted as a subproject of Apache MetaModel.
Our first release, version 0.1, is out! Check out our Docker Hub page for easy-to-use set up steps.
|Mailing lists||Same as Apache MetaModel|
|Issues||Same as Apache MetaModel (JIRA)|
A "tenant" in Membrane can be used traditionally as a tenant in a multi-tenant system, where each tenant of the system essentially has his own workspace.
Tenants can also be seen simply as a logical grouping of data sources (see below).
A "data source" in Membrane is the data that defines a connection to a datastore such as a JDBC database, a file or something else.
Data sources are configured using key/value properties. For example:
Security in Membrane
Currently Membrane does not attempt to implement its own security layer. Rather it leans on RESTful principles which would make it easy for you to define a secure HTTP proxy as a security gateway for the service.
Essentially a security gateway could be implemented based on HTTP path and method, like this:
- Consider access rights based on the tenant name.
- Assign each user to one or more tenants.
- First part of the path is the tenant name, so validate access rights based on that.
- Consider permissions based on the HTTP method
- GET is for "read" access.
- PUT, POST, DELETE is for "write" access.