Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1 is a maintenance release which fixes critical issues and improves the overall quality of the application. All users of Apache OpenOffice 4.0 or earlier are advised to upgrade. You can download Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1 here.
General areas of improvement include: additional native language translations, bug fixes, performance improvements and Windows 8 compatibility enhancements. Further details on each of these areas are below.
Our Bugzilla issue tracking database provides a detailed list of solved issues.
For a more comprehensive overview of the changes from version 3.4.x see AOO 4.0 Release Notes
Performance Improvements/Enhancements compared to OpenOffice 4.0.0
The performance for saving XLS files was boosted by more than 230%.
Improvements/Enhancements missing in the OpenOffice 4.0.0 release notes
OpenOffice 4.0 integrated the very popular extensions "Presenter Screen" and "Presentation Minimizer" into the core product.
- Crash when switching sidebar panes
- Crash with certain extensions
- Crash on Microsoft Windows with text in complex scripts
- Crash when deleting footnotes
- Loading *.123 files
- Rendering of charts with many data points
- Image rendering on Mac OS X
- Python compatibility has been improved
- Fixes to make C# extensions work
- Error on user profile migration regarding updating bundled extensions
- Error on opening Microsoft Office documents created in Apple iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynote)
- HTML export losing paragraph formatting
- Crashes on PDF export in Writer's Page Preview
- Crashes in Writer when deleting content which had been copied to the clipboard
- Error/Crashes on importing Microsoft Word documents
- No possible keyboard text selection in Writer's text frames
- Lost database connection in text documents on save - related to Mail Merge
- Errors in Calc's filter functions
- Calculation error in IMABS() function
- Formatting error of boolean values in Calc
- Repaint errors in Calc which showed double lines and white stripes
- Various fixes/improvements for SVG files
- Fixed and improved visualization of transformed bitmap graphics for Linux
- Fix to exporting a bitmap graphic with a given pixel size
- Fixed Copy/Paste clipboard handling for transporting bitmap images (e.g. drag & drop or copy/paste from browser)
- Fixed Microsoft Windows-specific performance task with very large bitmaps, enhanced buffering for all systems
- Repaired some modes of text editing for graphic objects where the text was not always readable
- Fix to import of user-defined connector changes
- Corrected line width for anchor visualization in Writer
- Fixed EMF/WMF reader for some critical cases to enhance the import quality
Additional Language Support
New translations available in Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1 include:
Serbian Cyrillic (sr)
Updated translations available in Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1 include:
For a complete list of available languages and language packs see: http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html
English (en-US, en-*)
- On recent versions of Mac OS X it might happen, especially after a "Force quit", that the following error message appears: "Restore Windows - The application OpenOffice.org was forced to quit while trying to restore its windows. Do you want to try to restore its windows again?". If you cannot get rid of it: Option-click the "Go" menu; choose "Library" from the menu to open the folder in the Finder; click on the folder "Saved Application State"; delete the file "org.openoffice.script.savedState". See bug 119006 and bug 123681 for more information.
- For other known issues See the 4.0.0 Release Notes
Stay informed about Apache OpenOffice
You are encouraged to subscribe to the Apache OpenOffice announcement mailing list to receive important notifications of product updates and security patches. To subscribe you can send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.