Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 is a Security release incorporating other bug fixes and little enhancements. All users of Apache OpenOffice 4.1.10 or earlier are strongly advised to upgrade. You can download Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 here. Windows 11 users can now also get Apache OpenOffice for selected languages in the Microsoft Store. Update (27 Nov. 2021): Apache OpenOffice is now also available in the Microsoft Store on Windows 10.
Please review these Release Notes to learn what is new in this version, as well as important remarks concerning known issues and their workarounds.
Only use the original website “https://www.openoffice.org/download/” to download. The installed software can be verified with the About box (see menu “Help - About OpenOffice”) by comparing the numbers with the reference data on the download webpage (see the text in the light green box). For Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 it has to be "AOO4111m1 | Build ID 9808 | Rev. bdb20b2a64".
The Project wants to dedicate this Release of Apache OpenOffice to the memory of Patricia Shanahan, who recently passed away. Patricia was an active Developer, Committer, and Project Management Committee (PMC) and will be greatly missed. Pat joined the project in 2015.
- CVE-2021-33035 - Buffer overflow from a crafted DBF file
CVE-2021-40439 - Billion Laughs
CVE-2021-28129 - DEB packaging for Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 installed with a non-root userid and groupid
- CVE-2021-41830 - #1 Content Manipulation with Certificate Double Attack
- CVE-2021-41830 - #2 Macro Manipulation with Certificate Double Attack
- CVE-2021-41831 - #3 Timestamp Manipulation with Signature Wrapping
- CVE-2021-41832 - #4 Content Manipulation with Certificate Validation Attack
- Help text font size is small (hard to read) and not adjustable persistently
- Add Fontwork to Insert menu
- PDF export icon missing in File menu
New security warning introduced with AOO 4.1.10 blocks useful functions
- The Windows installation file has missing properties and lacks a code signature
Windows installation: Lost adapted texts after switch to NSIS 3.x
Chart lost when saving in .ODS format
New and Updated Translations
There are no new or updated languages.
New and Updated Dictionaries
No new dictionaries for this release.
For a complete list of available languages and language packs see the download webpage (click the language drop-down-box).
Binaries provided like for all OpenOffice 4.1.x releases:
- Linux 32-bit (RPM and DEB)
Linux 64-bit (RPM and DEB)
For macOS users
- Apache OpenOffice will be flagged by the Gatekeeper facility in macOS. This is a feature to help guard against malware on Mac systems. The Apache OpenOffice disk images are signed by Apache as required by Apple, but Gatekeeper may still be triggered. If that happens, please follow the below steps.
- For macOS up to 10.11 “El Capitan”: There is a procedure laid out at the following link to allow applications not installed from the Mac App Store to run. See the Mac support article.
For macOS 10.12 “Sierra” and up: In Finder, Control-click or right-click the icon of the app. Select Open from the top of the contextual menu that appears. Click Open in the dialog box. If prompted, enter an administrator name and password. This is needed just the first time you launch Apache OpenOffice.
- Due to a known bug in Oracle Java, installations of Apache OpenOffice on macOS that do not have the legacy Apple Java 6 installed will not be able to recognize Oracle Java 7, 8, and maybe 9. If not able to upgrade to Java 9 then install the legacy version of Apple Java from the following link: Legacy Apple Java 6. This allows the portions of AOO that require Java to run properly.
For Windows Users
- Apache OpenOffice supports Java 8 (32-bit), which is the recommended configuration; but (especially on 64-bit Windows) you might receive warnings about the Java version being defective. In that case, download and install the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015, 2017 and 2019.
- NOTE: You MUST have a 32-bit Java Runtime Environment (JRE) even on a 64-bit machine.
Installation instructions can be found at: https://www.openoffice.org/download/common/instructions.html
Stay informed about Apache OpenOffice
You are encouraged to subscribe to the Apache OpenOffice announcement mailing list to receive important notifications such as product updates and security patches. To subscribe you can email: firstname.lastname@example.org.