This page documents the Apache OpenNLP release process.
- Elect a release manager
- Create a new release in JIRA. If you do not have permissions to do so just ask to be assigned privileges on the mailing list.
- Review the JIRA issues associated to the release.
- Push off all open issues to the next release; any critical or blocker issues should be resolved on mailing list. Discuss any issues that you are unsure of on the mailing list.
- Make sure you have your PGP key entered into https://id.apache.org/
- Your KEYS will then be present in: https://people.apache.org/keys/group/opennlp.asc
- Check if you have your PGP keys password.
- Checkout the apache master
Execute a complete test (it takes several hours).
Merge no source code changes after running the tests, or we will need to rerun it.
Do a trial build with:
Execute release prepare:
- Answer all questions
If it finished with success, do a release perform
- (this will create a X.Y.Z release tag in GIT that you can use for VOTE'ing in your VOTE email.
- It will also create a staged repository at http://repository.apache.org. Check the staged repository and if all looks well, close the repository, but don't release it yet).
- The build results is in opennlp/target/checkout/target/
- Perform basic check in the release binary (signature, presence of license, issues folder, execute the CLI)
- If VOTE passes with 3+ OpenNLP PMC votes, move onto next step. If VOTE does not pass, repeat steps 5-on until it does.
- Close the successful release vote
- Promote the nexus staging repo
- SNV the distribution to https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/
- Update the web site: distribution, maven dependency version, documentation. Wait for 26 to finish to promete the website changes.
- Wait for versions to hit the mirrors (hint: keep checking http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/opennlp until you see something).
- Promote the website changes.
Send announcement email to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. This needs to be done from your @apache.org email address or the email will bounce from the announce list. Gmail forwarding can help here and is a snap to set up (http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/send-mail-from-another-address-without.html). It's even easier then the instructions there as it will recognize your email address and default to Apache settings. It is important to include a description of what OpenNLP is as well as a link to the updated DOAP within the release announcement, this is so others know what OpenNLP is.