This space is for new ideas and proposals for new Roller features.
Once a proposal has been accepted and targetted for a specific release, it should also be added to our JIRA issue tracking system with the fix-for field set to the release number.
Proposals are divided in to five categories:
- Active proposals
- Completed proposals
- Idling proposals
- Withdrawn proposals
Proposals should be named Proposal_ and use the Proposal Template
Proposals that are being actively worked on. Put your proposal here if you are actively seeking feedback.
- Proposal HTML5 Mobile Template for Apache Roller - Mobile theme capability for Apache Roller
Proposals that have been implemented.
- Apache Roller 5.0 Release - major new Roller release, coming soon...
- Proposal Media Blogging Support - proposal to add media blogging support for Roller
- Proposal OpenID Support - proposal for adding OpenID support for Roller logins.
- Proposal Externalize User And Permissions Management - make it possible to externalize user and permissions management so that Roller can pull user profile and permssions information from a separate user management system.
- Proposal Tag Data API - add a simple web RESTful web services interface that returns statistic about tag usage in XML using Atom protocol categories format (XML).
- Proposal OpenSearch - provide a search API for Roller by adding 1) an OpenSearch descriptor support and b) OpenSearch tags in our search feeds.
- 4.0 - Proposal Roller 4.0 Release - Major release to modernize infrastructure with Java 5, JPA and Struts 2. Also includes new theme management and easy-install features.
- 3.1.1 - Proposal Roller 3.1.1 Release - Minor bug fix release.
- 3.1 - Proposal_Roller_3.1_Release - 3.1 - Full support of weblog entry tagging along with some theme enhancements and other smallish features.
- 3.1 - Proposal_ClusteredTasksViaLocking - Improved support for running tasks in clustered environments.
- 3.1 - Proposal_WeblogTags - Tag support contributed by IBM.
- 3.0 - Proposal_Roller_3.0_Release - (July 2006) Major release that introduces a new URL structure and completely re-designed front page implemented as a weblog.
- 3.0 - Proposal_Atlas - Make Roller's front page as easy to customize as a weblog. Make it easy to include aggregations and aggregated feeds. Add a weblog and user directory. Implementation is underway.
- 3.0 - Proposal_NewUrlStructure - Redesign Roller's url structure to provide a consolidated url space per weblog. Includes multi-language blogs support.
- 3.0 - Proposal_SupportMultiLanguageBloggers - Special support for those who blog in multiple languages. Allen's also working on this.
- 2.3 - Proposal_Roller_2.3_Release - Focusing on entry content, small improvements, backend refactoring and bug fixes. Release candidate in April, released June 2, 2006.
- 2.3 - ROL-872 - Support for both entry summary and content. http://rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Edit.jsp?page=Proposal_Entry_Content
- 2.3 - Proposal_BackendRefactorings
- 2.3 - Proposal_RemoveUnshippables - remove unshippable jars (LGPL and BCL) from Roller release files.
- 2.1 - Proposal_Roller_2.1_Release - Release in January 2006 focusing on spam management/prevention, performance improvements, and a authentication system based on Acegi. Points to other proposals.
- 2.1 - Proposal_CommentModeration - Allow bloggers to moderate comments before they are posted
- 2.1 - RefererThread - Create a long-running thread for processing referrers.
- 2.1 - Proposal_SpamPrevention - ideas for comment, trackback and referrer spam prevention/management.
- 2.0 - Proposal_GroupBlogging - Allow Websites to have more than one User (and vice-versa)
- 2.0 - Proposal_AtomServerKit - Replacing Atom4J with a Rome based solution
- 1.2 - Proposal_ConfigurationConsolidation - New property/metadata-driven configuration system for Roller
- 1.2 - Proposal_PlanetRoller - Change Roller front page to a community aggregator
- 1.2 - Proposal_PermissionChecks - enable permissions checking in Roller business layer
- 1.2 - Proposal_ConfigurablePings - Support multiple configurable weblog update pings
- 1.1 - Proposal_Roller11 - Proposal for a Roller 1.1 release in March
Proposals that are either incomplete or not actively seeking feedback.
- Proposal - Clusterable Search Via Solr - proposal to enable a clusterable search manager
- Modular Roller
- Planet server module.
- Proposal Maven 2 Support
- Proposal Atom Protocol Comment Support (4.1?) - Add support for comments to Roller's existing Atom protocol support.