Permalink to this page: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/oColBg
This is about Tomcat performance.
Other (non-exhaustive) notes:
- Stress test your webapp. You can do this via JMeter, siege, flood, and other tools. Google is your friend.
- Tweak your UNIX box! Look at ulimit and kernel parameters.
- Bad design will hurt performance.
- Look at profiling tools for Java.
- Is Tomcat faster than serving static HTML pages than Apache httpd?
- How do I configure apache tomcat connectors for a heavy load site?
- How do I make Tomcat start up faster?
Is Tomcat faster than serving static HTML pages than Apache httpd?
Yes depending on how you tune it. And NO depending on how you tune it. Anything less starts a religious war. We recommend performing your own benchmarks and see for yourself.
How do I configure apache tomcat connectors for a heavy load site?
The following excellent article was written by Mladen Turk. He is a Developer and Consultant for JBoss Inc in Europe, where he is responsible for native integration. He is a long time commiter for Jakarta Tomcat Connectors, Apache Httpd and Apache Portable Runtime projects.
Fronting Tomcat with Apache or IIS - Best Practices