VCL is a modular cloud computing platform which dynamically provisions and
brokers remote access to compute resources including virtual machines,
bare-metal computers, and resources in other cloud platforms. A self-service
web portal is used to request resources and for administration. VCL became a
TLP on June 20, 2012.
- there are no issues requiring board attention at this time
- Development of VCL 2.5 is pretty much complete. A discussion thread has
been started. We anticipate and hope to begin the vote on a release
candidate this week.
- Apache VCL has been using some cryptographic functionality for quite some
time but we recently became aware of the ASF's crypto guidelines and
requirements . This is being discussed on our dev list. We are working
through the legal terminology and will consult with the legal-discuss
list if necessary. Regardless, it would be helpful to our project and I'm
sure others if the ASF crypto page  was updated. It includes some
outdated links and information that is no longer correct since the BIS
has updated the regulations multiple times since the page was written. I
tried to explain some of what I found in the thread . We'll pass any
information which may be helpful to the pertinent list or Jira issue.
## Health report:
- The health is stable. I'd like to see development interest from
additional people and more participation from some current committers /
PMC members. We've discussed ideas on our dev list and I've included
thoughts in previous board reports. Perhaps after our release is finished
we can make more of an effort towards community development.
## PMC changes:
- Currently 7 PMC members.
- No new PMC members added in the last 3 months
- Last PMC addition was Aaron Coburn on Tue Jun 19 2012
## Committer base changes:
- Currently 8 committers.
- No new committers added in the last 3 months
- Last committer addition was Young Hyun Oh at Sun Dec 08 2013
- Last release was 2.4.2 on Wed Apr 15 2015
## Mailing list activity:
- Dev list traffic is up due to a flurry of release related messages.
- User list membership is unfortunately dropped by a few people in the past
few months. I'm not sure what the reason would be.
- A few users have initiated or participated in user list threads as of
late. This is always encouraging.
- 122 subscribers (down -2 in the last 3 months):
- 251 emails sent to list (203 in previous quarter)
- 161 subscribers (down -5 in the last 3 months):
- 39 emails sent to list (21 in previous quarter)
## JIRA activity:
- 27 JIRA tickets created in the last 3 months
- 37 JIRA tickets closed/resolved in the last 3 months