Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata


FINAL DO NOT EDIT

NOTE that the content for this month report is in markdown format- please do not remove any formatting characters when adding your reports.

It also best to:

  • Do not change existing formatting. Especially do not change the formatting of the sign-off area.
  • Keep all lines under 76 characters long.

  • All content under the ### headings should be indented by two spaces. Do not use tabs.

  • Please don't change the text in the headings or add new ones.
  • Include one space after a bullet point or full stop on a numbered list.
  • Use [X] (X and no spaces) to sign off reports.
  • Do not include long URLs and use the apache URL shortener https://s.apache.org.
  • Please note that some lines have two spaces at the end. Do not remove these spaces.

Please make sure you use the current report and don't copy an old one, the headings do change from time to time.

A script will be run on this report before it is submitted to the board. If your lines are too long it may insert line breaks in unexpected places.

Reflow
fold -w 76 -s $1 | cat -s


Timeline

Wed August 04Podling reports due by end of day
Sun August 08Shepherd reviews due by end of day
Sun August 08Summary due by end of day
Tue August 10Mentor signoff due by end of day
Wed August 11

Report submitted to Board

Wed August 18Board meeting


Shepherd Assignments

1Dave FisherMilagro
2Dave FisherTuweni
3Drew FarrisAnnotator
4Drew FarrisBlueMarlin
5Justin McleanPony Mail
6P. Taylor GoetzEventMesh
7P. Taylor GoetzLiminal
8P. Taylor GoetzTeaclave
9Timothy ChenFlagon
10Timothy ChenPageSpeed
11Timothy ChenPinot
12
DataLab
13
Doris
14
Heron
15
InLong
16
Livy
17
MXNet
18
NLPCraft
19
NuttX
20
Pegasus
21
SDAP
22
Sedona
23
ShenYu
24
Toree
25Gautam GuptaTraining
26
YuniKorn

Incubator PMC report for July and August 2021

The Apache Incubator is the entry path into the ASF for projects and codebases wishing to become part of the Foundation's efforts. There are presently 37 podlings incubating. In June and August, podlings executed 10 distinct releases. We added 2 new IPMC members, and none retired.

There was 4 IP clearance in June and August. A couple of new podlings are under discussion, and Kyuubi and Linkis have joined the Incubator. Pinot graduated last month.

A couple of podlings are heading towards graduation in the next few months. This month we were missing reports from Annotator, Milagro and Toree, and they will be asked to report next month.

There was a lengthy discussion on the IP clearance for Terraform as information around the donation, IP and licensing was initially unclear but was eventually resolved.

There was also a discussion about IP provenance of files in the Tuweni release and the Hop release.

Some updates were made to the podling retirement guide.

As usual, most discussions on the mailing list were around graduations, releases, new project proposals and new mentors.

Community

New IPMC members:

  • Ankit Singhal
  • Wei-Chiu Chuang

People who left the IPMC:

  • none

New Podlings

  • Kyuubi

Podlings that failed to report, expected next month

  • Annotator
  • Milagro
  • Toree

Graduations

  • list podling here

The board has motions for the following:

  • None

Releases

The following releases entered distribution during the month of

  • August and July:
  • EventMesh 1.2.0
  • Flagon UserALE.js 2.1.1
  • Flagon UserALE.js 2.2.0
  • InLong 0.9.0
  • NLP Craft 0.8.0
  • Pegasus 2.2.0
  • StreamPipes 0.68.0
  • TeaClave Trustzone 0.1.0
  • Tuweni 2.0.0
  • YuniKorn 0.11.0

IP Clearance

  • CloudStack Terraform Provider
  • CloudStack Go SDK
  • Arrow - experimental
  • Druid Helm Chart

N/A

Infrastructure

N/A

Miscellaneous

N/A

Table of Contents

BlueMarlin DataLab Doris EventMesh Flagon Heron InLong Liminal Livy MXNet NLPCraft NuttX PageSpeed Pegasus PonyMail SDAP Sedona ShenYu Teaclave Training Tuweni YuniKorn Kyuubi


BlueMarlin

BlueMarlin will develop a web service to add intelligence functionality to a plain ad system.

BlueMarlin has been incubating since 2020-06-09.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Finalize bootstrap of the project (move existing issues to github, etc)
  2. Review all files (ASF headers, ...)
  3. Prepare a first release

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

No real issue, but the bootstrap is very very slow.

How has the community developed since the last report?

No really community development, the project bootstrap is still on the way.

How has the project developed since the last report?

The bootstrap is very slow. JB (mentor) proposed several calls with the team. A new meeting is planned to move forward. The initial team should be more involved and take lead on some tasks.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

None yet.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

No answer.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

No answer.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (bluemarlin) Craig Russell
    Comments:
  •  (bluemarlin) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Comments: I do my best to move forward, but the team should take lead and have the willing to move forward.
  •  (bluemarlin) Von Gosling
    Comments:
  •  (bluemarlin) Junping Du
    Comments:
  •  (bluemarlin) Uma Maheswara Rao G
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


DataLab

DataLab is a platform for creating self-service, exploratory data science environments in the cloud using best-of-breed data science tools.

DataLab has been incubating since 2018-08-20.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Finish preparing all artifacts necessary for graduation

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

No issues

How has the community developed since the last report?

We have a new committer (Iana Redko).

How has the project developed since the last report?

  • We are working towards the release 2.5.0
  • Migration to Py3 (done)
  • Localization (done)
  • Augment an administrative page (done)
  • Implement possibility of GPU usage for Jupyter, Dataproc and Data Engine (standalone cluster) on GCP (done)
  • Support specific python versions via virtual environments for all notebooks and compute resources (except Data Engine Service and DeepLearning) (done)
  • Update third-party software (done)
  • Bug fixing (in progress)

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other: working towards next release

Date of last release:

2020-17-09

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

The last committer was elected on June 21, 2021.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Yes, our mentors are very helpful and responsive.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

There are no known brand and naming issues. New name was approved and our team changed all references to DLab that are publicly accessible to DataLab.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (datalab) P. Taylor Goetz
    Comments:
  •  (datalab) Henry Saputra
    Comments:
  •  (datalab) Konstantin I Boudnik
    Comments:
  •  (datalab) Furkan Kamaci
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Doris

Doris is a MPP-based interactive SQL data warehousing for reporting and analysis.

Doris has been incubating since 2018-07-18.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. A smoother channel for communication with developers.
  2. There are some branding issues need to be addressed.
  3. Code refactor to reduce references to other project code.

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

There are some branding issues need to be addressed, which has been discussed in [1] And we are working on it. [1]

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rf51fad9228bf38f9fdf8ee0f691550e69853c7 b1a31a8d23381a52ce%40%3Cprivate.doris.apache.org%3E We hope that it can be addressed at end of Sept.

How has the community developed since the last report?

Since the last report, we have added 29 contributors. There are currently 183 contributors and 26 committers.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  1. We have released 0.14 since last report.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2021-05-26

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  1. caiconghui, PPMC member, 2021-05-31
  2. liulijia, committer, 2021-06-23
  3. wangxixu, committer, 2021-06-23
  4. laiyingchun, committer, 2021-07-07
  5. weizuo, committer, 2021-06-30

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

All mentors are helpful, especially on the issue of branding, they helped us a lot.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Yes

Signed-off-by:

  •  (doris) Willem Ning Jiang
    Comments: We are working closely with Doris PPMC when resolving the branding issue.
  •  (doris) Shao Feng Shi
    Comments:
  •  (doris) Ming Wen
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


EventMesh

EventMesh is a dynamic cloud-native basic service runtime used to decouple the application and middleware layer.

EventMesh has been incubating since 2021-02-18.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Growing the community.
  2. N/A
  3. N/A

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

No issues.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  1. The first release of v1.2.0 has been successful to vote in IPMC.
  2. We did 3 promotions on The Stack、ITPUB、and ApacheCon Asia 2021, 5 students of SOC is on going and seems good. A meetup is on schedule.
  3. We have 12 new contributors.
  4. Two-weeks meeting is scheduled.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  1. Enhanced Plugin and make it singleton and will not be a dependency of runtime, only use config to enable plugin.
  2. Security Plugin is abstracted, Registry Plugin and ProtocolServer Plugin is developing.
  3. Kafka-connector plugin and redis-connector plugin is developing.
  4. Switch properties to ymal format is developing.
  5. CloudEvents and EventStreaming integration is desgining.
  6. OpenSchema integration is developing.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2021-8-6

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

The last committer was elected on Feb 18, 2021.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Yes, our mentors are very helpful and responsive.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

There are no known brand and naming issues.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (eventmesh) Francois Papon
    Comments:
  •  (eventmesh) Junping Du
    Comments:
  •  (eventmesh) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Comments: First release on the way, good one. We still have work to do for community building and podling guidance.
  •  (eventmesh) Justin Mclean
    Comments:
  •  (eventmesh) Von Gosling
    Comments: Good shape, very close to the first release. Community building will be the next direction.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Flagon

Flagon is a software tool usability testing platform

Flagon has been incubating since 2016-07-13.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Currently discussing Graduation path (TLP, other TLP (e.g., Superset))
  2. Continue VOTE thread for Graduation on general@incubator

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

None at this time.

How has the community developed since the last report?

Have worked with two new user communities who intend on contributing to Apache Flagon.

Currently assisting them in framing software grant to ASF.

Ongoing developments on multiple projects currently on Forks. Expect commits to ASF in 2021 Q4.

How has the project developed since the last report?

Trained new committers (Gedd Johnson) on ASF release process.

Released UserALE.js 2.2.0

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2021-06-03 Apache UserALE.js 2.2.0

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

2021-03-26 (Gedd Johnson)

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Yes, Mentors are supportive.

Slow quarter, with focus on use-case and user community growth.

Expect to reinvigorate Graduation VOTE in 2021 Q4.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Yes.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (flagon) Lewis John McGibbney
    Comments:
  •  (flagon) David Meikle
    Comments:
  •  (flagon) Tim Allison
    Comments:
  •  (flagon) Furkan Kamaci
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Heron

A real-time, distributed, fault-tolerant stream processing engine.

Heron has been incubating since 2017-06-23.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Growing the community

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

  • n/a

How has the community developed since the last report?

  • New questions have come across the user@heron mailing list with a request for a new feature.
  • The current community has stayed consistent and stable.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  • Heron has had many improvements to help the project be more “cloud native”.
  • Many improvements have been related to Kubernetes support.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

  • 2021-05-26: 0.20.4-incubating

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

The last two new committers voted in: - Oliver Bristow (July 22, 2020) - Windham Wong (July 3, 2020)

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

  • We’ve recently added Ming and Kevin to help with mentorship. They have been extremely helpful.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

  • No

Signed-off-by:

  •  (heron) Jake Farrell
    Comments:
  •  (heron) Julien Le Dem
    Comments:
  •  (heron) P. Taylor Goetz
    Comments:
  •  (heron) Dave Fisher
    Comments: The current community is small, but active.
  •  (heron) Ming Wen
    Comments:
  •  (heron) Kevin Ratnasekera
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


InLong

InLong is a one-stop data streaming platform that provides automatic, secure, distributed, and efficient data publishing and subscription capabilities. This platform helps you easily build stream-based data applications.

InLong has been incubating since 2019-11-03.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

1.Improve and optimize the system to solve the system shortboard

2.Promote the system, to let more people use and participate in the community

3.Building a diverse community with open governance.

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

No issues

How has the community developed since the last report?

  • 3+ new contributors participate in the community since the last report(currently: 56)
  • Held 1 online meetup to discuss the renamed project architecture and goals.
  • InLong history issues have migrate from JIRA to GitHub Issues successfully, include all issues status.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  • Improve the ease of deployment and documentation quality.
  • Refactor the submodules to be more unified.
  • Develop the issues for next release.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2021-07-12

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

The last PPMC was elected on on 2020-12-15

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Yes, our mentors are very helpful and responsive.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Yes, all good here.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (inlong) Junping Du
    Comments:
  •  (inlong) Justin Mclean
    Comments:
  •  (inlong) Sijie Guo
    Comments:
  •  (inlong) Zhijie Shen
    Comments:
  •  (inlong) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Comments: The podling is moving forward cleanly and I have the chance to chat with them on Slack. Great podling.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Liminal

Apache Liminal is an end-to-end platform for data engineers and scientists, allowing them to build, train and deploy machine learning models in a robust and agile way.

Liminal has been incubating since 2020-05-23.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Grow developers community.
  2. Adoption of the project by a few companies.
  3. More releases - provide out-of-the-box usability for common use-cases.

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

None

How has the community developed since the last report?

We have released V 0.0.2 with seamless integration with AWS + we are working on a joint blogpost with the AWS technical team on using Liminal with MWAA. We got accepted to present Liminal in both ApacheCon and ApacheCon Asia 2021. We are going to present in August in 2 public companies, hoping to attract them to join the community effort.

How has the project developed since the last report?

We have released V 0.0.2 and going to release in August v 0.0.3 - a major milestone to Liminal, containing out-of-the-box functionality to run an ML pipeline locally and in AWS, using Airflow, Kubernetes & Spark.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2021-04-20

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

NA

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

J.B. and Davor have been super helpful in approving the second release and assist with any issue raised.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

NA

Signed-off-by:

  •  (liminal) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Comments:
  •  (liminal) Henry Saputra
    Comments:
  •  (liminal) Uma Maheswara Rao G
    Comments:
  •  (liminal) Davor Bonaci
    Comments:
  •  (liminal) Liang Chen
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Livy

Livy is web service that exposes a REST interface for managing long running Apache Spark contexts in your cluster. With Livy, new applications can be built on top of Apache Spark that require fine grained interaction with many Spark contexts.

Livy has been incubating since 2017-06-05.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Cut a new release
  2. Fill maturity matrix
  3. Discuss about graduation

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

No real issue, the podling is mature, and I think we can discuss about graduation.

How has the community developed since the last report?

Several messages have been seen showing an interest for the podling.

How has the project developed since the last report?

Not a lot of activity as the podling is mature.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

Not provided.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

No answer.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

No answer.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (livy) Bikas Saha
    Comments:
  •  (livy) Luciano Resende
    Comments:
  •  (livy) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Comments: I think the podling (in term of features) is mature, so, moving forward to new release and graduation would make sense.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

Justin Mclean : Please make sure to provide all information asked for in the report.


MXNet

A Flexible and Efficient Library for Deep Learning

MXNet has been incubating since 2017-01-23.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Successfully and smoothly make releases without WIP disclaimer.
    • ONGOING.
  2. Improve brand management.
    • ONGOING.

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

Since last report, we recruited two new mentors for MXNet and they have been very helpful in MXNet activities.

We conduct regular brand management review as part of the regular reporting. From recent brand usage review for MXNet third-party distributions, we found several listings on AWS marketplace that need update. The PPMC reached out to the publishers of these listings for correction with only last three remaining.

How has the community developed since the last report?

How has the project developed since the last report?

  1. 1.9.0 release is in progress. https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/releases/tag/1.9.0.rc6 with 100+ patches of new features, improvements, and fixes. This will be the first recent release without DISCLAIMER-WIP.
  2. Github statistics of last month:
    • July 4, 2021 – August 4, 2021: Excluding merges, 14 authors have pushed 14 commits to master and 29 commits to all branches. On master, 66 files have changed and there have been 12,224 additions and 5,745 deletions.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2021-03-24

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

2021-07-16

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Yes.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Yes. From recent brand usage review for MXNet third-party distributions, we found several listings on AWS marketplace that need update. The PPMC reached out to the publishers of these listings for correction. Here we report the status of these items.

https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B073SHB43M?qid=1609989286506&sr=0-21&r ef_=srh_res_product_title (done)

https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B079225XXC?qid=1609989161134&sr=0-14&r ef_=srh_res_product_title (pending update)

https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B08L8H9NWD?qid=1609989286506&sr=0-28&r ef_=srh_res_product_title (pending update)

https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B08G8VXC1Q?qid=1609989286506&sr=0-29&r ef_=srh_res_product_title (pending update)

Signed-off-by:

  •  (mxnet) Markus Weimer
    Comments:
  •  (mxnet) Bob Paulin
    Comments:
  •  (mxnet) Jason Dai
    Comments:
  •  (mxnet) Furkan Kamaci
    Comments:
  •  (mxnet) Kezhen Xu
    Comments:
  •  (mxnet) Atri Sharma
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


NLPCraft

A Java API for NLU applications

NLPCraft has been incubating since 2020-02-13.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. User and developer community growth.
  2. Project maturity.
  3. Project awareness.

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

We have several new collaborators that community is planning to promote to committer level in the future. The project/community is finally working project awareness by launching dedicated YouTube channel, submitting and presenting at relevant conferences (ApacheCon Asia 20221, ApacheCon 2021, Scala By The Bay), writing technical blogs, and reworking website documentation based on the feedback from the early users.

How has the project developed since the last report?

Ptoject made two major releases 0.8.0 and 0.9.0 since the last report. Both releases introduced significant new features as well as number of bug fixes and improvements.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2021-07-30

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

August 2020. We, however, have number of collaborators that we are planning to put on election shortly.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

votes requiring repeated email reminders.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Yes, no problems here.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (nlpcraft) Roman Shaposhnik
    Comments:
  •  (nlpcraft) Furkan Kamaci
    Comments:
  •  (nlpcraft) Evans Ye
    Comments:
  •  (nlpcraft) Paul King
    Comments:
  •  (nlpcraft) Konstantin I Boudnik
    Comments:
  •  (nlpcraft) Dave Fisher
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


NuttX

NuttX is a mature, real-time embedded operating system (RTOS).

NuttX has been incubating since 2019-12-09.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Clear any potential infringing use of the NuttX trademark
  2. Achieve a non-WIP Disclaimer release under Apache
  3. Continue to grow the community with people from different background

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

None at this time. However, please note that the project is beginning to discuss graduation to TLP and hopes to start this process in the near future.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  • Virtually all communications have moved from old venues to
    dev@nuttx.apache.org. The dev list contains 230 subscribers, an
    increase of 5% since our previous report, and is the home of most
    development discussions and user questions.
  • GitHub's PRs and Issues also have their own discussions.
  • We are seeing new contributors to the project through GitHub.
  • One new committer has been added since the last report: Gustavo
    Henrique Nihei received a commit bit in April.
  • One new PPMC member has been added since the last report: Sara
    Monteiro joined the PPMC in May.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  • NuttX developers and significant contributors are currently planning
    and organizing the annual NuttX Workshop 2021. Due to continuing
    concerns around COVID, this year's workshop will once again be held
    online. The event is planned for 21-22 August 2021. More information
    can be found at https://nuttx.events.

  • We continue to make significant steps toward license clearing, needed
    for graduation. This quarter, efforts have continued to clear files
    and change their license to the Apache 2.0 License through the large
    effort of our volunteers. Since joining the Incubator, more than 10,000

    files have been changed to the Apache 2.0 License with the permission
    of more than 60 individuals and 16 organizations who signed ICLAs,
    CCLAs, and SGAs to assist us in getting closer to graduation. We are
    grateful to everyone for their invaluable support through this
    important process.

  • We continue to secure ICLAs and SGAs from past and present
    contributors and have secured several new ICLAs, CCLAs, and SGAs this
    quarter.

  • Contributions are flowing regularly as PRs in GitHub with occasional
    patches in the dev list.

  • Many technical improvements, bug fixes, and new architectures have
    been collaborated and work continues with several pull requests
    merged per day.

  • NuttX v10.1.0 was released this quarter.

  • We have listened to the valuable feedback received during our
    previous releases and continue to improve our documentation. This can
    be found at https://nuttx.apache.org/docs/latest/.

  • We are working to streamline our GitHub PR checks to use fewer
    resources while still giving providing early feedback of potentially
    disruptive problems. The GitHub PR checks have helped us immensely in
    improving our code quality and compliance to project standards.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

NuttX-10.1.0 was released on 2021-05-26.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Last elected PPMC: 2020-05-21

Last committer added: 2020-04-14

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Mentors are helpful and responsive.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Podling name was approved on May 17th 2020: https://s.apache.org/4hfzx

Signed-off-by:

  •  (nuttx) Duo Zhang
    Comments:
  •  (nuttx) Junping Du
    Comments:
  •  (nuttx) Justin Mclean
    Comments:
  •  (nuttx) Mohammad Asif Siddiqui
    Comments:
  •  (nuttx) Flavio Paiva Junqueira
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


PageSpeed

PageSpeed represents a series of open source technologies to help make the web faster by rewriting web pages to reduce latency and bandwidth.

PageSpeed has been incubating since 2017-09-30.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Grow the number of active developers
  2. Enhance the release process: switch to github tagged release to simplify.

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

While there is a healthy user base, the number of active developers remains persistently low. This seems to be a hard to address challenge.

How has the community developed since the last report?

Mailing lists and git issues are active. The number of active developers is unchanged.

How has the project developed since the last report?

Minor activity.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other: We'll be blogging about the 2.0 Envoy PoC, hopefully that will get some developer interest as we pivot into the service mesh world

Date of last release:

The week of May 11th, 2020

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

May 27 2019 (Longinos Ferrando, elected as both committer and PMC member)

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Yes.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

As far as we know the brand is respected by third parties.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (pagespeed) Jukka Zitting
    Comments:
  •  (pagespeed) Leif Hedstrom
    Comments:
  •  (pagespeed) Nick Kew
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Pegasus

Pegasus is a distributed key-value storage system which is designed to be simple, horizontally scalable, strongly consistent and high-performance.

Pegasus has been incubating since 2020-06-28.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Grow the community, attracting more users, contributors and committers
  2. Resolve the license problems
  3. Publish more releases in ASF policy regularly

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

N/A

How has the community developed since the last report?

Since the last report, we have added 1 committer.

How has the project developed since the last report?

Since the last report, we have published a new release 2.2.0.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2021-06-28: Apache Pegasus (incubating) 2.2.0

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

New committer: Yanzhao Tang (2021-07-07).

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Yes.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Yes.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (pegasus) Kevin A. McGrail
    Comments:
  •  (pegasus) Duo zhang
    Comments:
  •  (pegasus) Liang Chen
    Comments:
  •  (pegasus) Von Gosling
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Pony Mail

Pony Mail is a mail-archiving, archive viewing, and interaction service, that can be integrated with many email platforms.

Pony Mail has been incubating since 2016-05-27.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Growing community size and software adoption rate
  2. Getting Foal to a production-/release-ready state

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

How has the community developed since the last report?

Our latest committer has helped revitalize the development, and we are seeing decent levels of commitment from our committer base.

How has the project developed since the last report?

Work continues on the Foal edition of Pony Mail, with levels of engagement slightly up in the community.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2019-04-20

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

The last committer to be invited was Sean Palmer at 2021-04-02.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

No answer.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

No answer.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (ponymail) John D. Ament
    Comments:
  •  (ponymail) Sharan Foga
    Comments: A discussion around possible graduation has just been started and although the community remains is relatively small, work continues to happen.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


SDAP

SDAP is an integrated data analytic center for Big Science problems.

SDAP has been incubating since 2017-10-22.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Make official SDAP (Incubating) Release

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

None

How has the community developed since the last report?

Discussions in ASF slack channel: https://the-asf.slack.com/archives/CN8UJ3D0V

How has the project developed since the last report?

Completed issues: SDAP-308 deletebyquery.py not working after Nexus Python3 upgrade SDAP-213 Update dependencies in EDGE requirements.txt SDAP-310 Update match up output to use CF standard name for satellite variable SDAP-154 Python 3

New/Updated issues: SDAP-316 Update webapp to python version 3 in helm chart. SDAP-318 TimeSeriesSpark returns empty list for bounding box larger than a hemisphere. SDAP-320 Integrate 1.1.0-SNAPSHOT work into SDAP SDAP-317 Open multiple netcdf files in order to generate granules with multiple time steps SDAP-314 Add Elasticsearch support SDAP-312 Optimize reprojection to UTM in matchup algorithm SDAP-309 Watch collections iwhich path is a regex SDAP-307 nexustiles get_tiles_by_polygon() & get_tiles_by_polygon_sorttimeasc() gets data out of the requested polygon from Solr SDAP-319 Fix misleading comment in helm/values.yaml SDAP-321 Allow wildcards in S3 paths for collections SDAP-315 Update match up algorithm for satellite to satellite SDAP-311 Collect performance metrics in current match-up algorithm SDAP-304 Making Cassandra keyspace creation optional SDAP-313 Make Cassandra keyspace variable for granule_ingester

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

N/A

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Two new committers were elected in March 2021.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

No answer.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

PPMC is not aware of any issues

Signed-off-by:

  •  (sdap) Jörn Rottmann
    Comments:
  •  (sdap) Trevor Grant
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Sedona

Sedona is a big geospatial data processing engine. It provides an easy to use APIs for spatial data scientists to manage, wrangle, and process geospatial data.

Sedona has been incubating since 2020-07-19.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Find alternative release manager
  2. Fix the data copyright issue occurred in test data

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

How has the community developed since the last report?

All good here. We have active users on Gitter and mailing list

How has the project developed since the last report?

We successfully published our second release Apache Sedona 1.0.1-incubating

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2021-05-25

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

N/A

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

All good here

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

No answer.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (sedona) Felix Cheung
    Comments:
  •  (sedona) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Comments:
  •  (sedona) George Percivall
    Comments:
  •  (sedona) Von Gosling
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Teaclave

Teaclave is a universal secure computing platform, making computation on privacy-sensitive data safe and simple.

Teaclave has been incubating since 2019-08-20.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  • Improve project structure and documentation
  • Grow the community (attracting more committers, contributors, users)
  • Publish Apache releases (resolving logistics on Apache release)

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

Since the last report, we have organized three monthly virtual meetups. Many people from the community share their usage experience of Teaclave. Also, we invited some contributors to talk about some technical details of the design and implementation. For each meetup, we have minutes write-up published on the Teaclave blog.

We also have two new members:

  • 2021-07-09, Hongbo Chen (ya0guang), Commiter
  • 2021-07-25, Gordon King (garyw), Mentor

How has the project developed since the last report?

Here are the summaries of recent progress of our three sub-projects:

Teaclave:

  • Change the executor's payload type from String to Vec<u8>.
  • Unify the launch of teaclave services.
  • Add WebAssembly Executor and corresponding examples.
  • Upgrade Intel SGX SDK to the latest release (SGX 2.14.100.2, DCAP 1.11.100.2).
  • Some minor fixes of the building system and  documentation.

Teaclave SGX SDK:

  • Minor bug fixes.

Teaclave TrustZone SDK:

  • Release the first Apache Incubator version 0.1.0: [Announcing Apache Teaclave TrustZone SDK (Incubating) 0.1.0](https://teaclave.apache.org/blog/2021-06-16-announcing-teaclave -trust zone-sdk-0-1-0/).
  • Update to OP-TEE 3.13.0.
  • Implement the iSocket APIs and corresponding examples.
  • Implement loadable plugin for TA and corresponding examples.
  • Some minor fixes and repository cleanups.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2021-06-10: Apache Teaclave TrustZone SDK (incubating) 0.1.0

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

2021-07-25, Gordon King (garyw), Mentor

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Yes, our mentors work responsively to help us with electing new mentors, proposing new features, and expanding the community.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

We don't find any 3rd parties incorrectly using the podling's name and brand. The VP, Brand has approved the project name. (PODLINGNAMESEARCH-175)

Signed-off-by:

  •  (teaclave) Felix Cheung
    Comments: good progress
  •  (teaclave) Furkan Kamaci
    Comments:
  •  (teaclave) Jianyong Dai
    Comments:
  •  (teaclave) Matt Sicker
    Comments:
  •  (teaclave) Zhijie Shen
    Comments:
  •  (teaclave) Gordon King
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Training

The Training project aims to develop resources which can be used for training purposes in various media formats, languages and for various Apache and non-Apache target projects.

Training has been incubating since 2019-02-21.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Add more contributing members to the project
  2. Make the Training project popular among users
  3. Grow the overall knowledgebase of Training project

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

We need some broad forums where use of Training project can be explained and popularized.

How has the community developed since the last report?

Quite low communication between members since the last report. Need to find more ways to increase the contribution and participation.

How has the project developed since the last report?

No new PR added to project since the last report.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2020-11-27

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

November 2020

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

No issues.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Yes no know issues.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (training) Craig Russell
    Comments:
  •  (training) Christofer Dutz
    Comments:
  •  (training) Justin Mclean
    Comments:
  •  (training) Lars Francke
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Tuweni

Tuweni is a set of libraries and other tools to aid development of blockchain and other decentralized software in Java and other JVM languages.

Tuweni has been incubating since 2019-03-25.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. More contributors!
  2. Getting started, docs, videos
  3. Finishing the Ethereum client

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

No.

How has the community developed since the last report?

We have had a couple contributions. We set out a number of getting started issues.

How has the project developed since the last report?

The project is under active development.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2021-06-17

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Nicolas Melendez as committer on 2021-05-06.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

We squeezed out our 2.0.0 release. It was not a smooth process and we had a follow-up on the private@incubator list.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

No problems reported.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (tuweni) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Comments:
  •  (tuweni) Furkan Kamaci
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

Dave Fisher: A draft report is being reviewed. The podling could use more mentors. I will rejoin the effort soon and I recommend that Antoine as an IPMC member and Tuweni PPMC member be added as a mentor.


YuniKorn

YuniKorn is a standalone resource scheduler responsible for scheduling batch jobs and long-running services on large scale distributed systems running in on-premises environments as well as different public clouds.

YuniKorn has been incubating since 2020-01-21.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Gain more contributors and active committers.
  2. Release regularly, split large changes over multiple releases.
  3. Improve the ease of deployment and documentation quality.

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

No issues at this point in time.

How has the community developed since the last report?

Added one new committer and several new contributors. Elected a new PPMC member. Finalising the next release v0.11, planning for release v1.0.

How has the project developed since the last report?

Stabilising the previous release major features (gang scheduling). Upgrading protobuf build and dependency for the scheduler interface. Implemented a new REST interface. The interface changes are all in preparation for a v1.0 release which is in planning.

Some statistics for the report period (2021-04-01 till 2021-06-30):
JIRA: 105 created, 112 resolved
PRs: 65 opened, 70 resolved
11 unique active code contributors (cumulative for all repos)

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2021-04-09

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

2021-07-07 committer and PPMC member added

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

yes

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

No issues that we are aware of.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (yunikorn) Junping Du
    Comments:
  •  (yunikorn) Felix Cheung
    Comments:
  •  (yunikorn) Jason Lowe
    Comments:
  •  (yunikorn) Holden Karau
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


ShenYu

ShenYu is a high performance Microservices API gateway in Java ecosystem, compatible with a variety of mainstream framework systems, supports hot plug. Users can write their own plugin meet the current requirement and future needs in a variety of scenarios, especially in large-scale scenes.

ShenYu has been incubating since 2021-05-03.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Make an Apache Release.
  2. Build new website document.
  3. Building a diverse community with open governance.

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  • 11+ new contributors and 1+ new committers participate in the community since entered the last report. There are currently 188 contributors and 25 committers.
  • 40+ pull request since entered the last report
  • There is regular traffic on the mailing list (~120+ mailing list discussions/month).
  • Number of GitHub stars increased (last report: 4927, currently: 5063).
  • Held 2 community meetings to discuss development tasks and how to build an open governance community.
  • Opened ShenYu source code activity.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  • Ready for release 2.4.0.
  • Add Ui Dependencies Licenses.
  • Refactor shenyu-bootstrap release package structure.
  • Use h2 for integrated test.
  • Improve health check for divide plugin.
  • Add domain type filter.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

No Release yet.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

July 2021

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Our mentors have been helpful and responsive.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

The PPMC manages the podling's brand / trademarks.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (shenyu) Willem Ning Jiang
    Comments: Finished the project setup, and the first release is out.
  •  (shenyu) Jincheng Sun
    Comments:
  •  (shenyu) Duo Zhang
    Comments:
  •  (shenyu) Kevin Ratnasekera
    Comments:
  •  (shenyu) Atri Sharma
    Comments:
  •  (shenyu) Justin Mclean
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Kyuubi

Kyuubi is a distributed multi-tenant Thrift JDBC/ODBC server for large-scale data management, processing, and analytics, built on top of Apache Spark and designed to support more engines.

Kyuubi has been incubating since 2021-06-21.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Gain more active contributors/committers to build a diverse community
  2. Make Apache releases regularly and keep the quality for all releases
  3. Improve project structure and documentation

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  • 14 new contributors participate in the community since entered Apache incubation. There are currently 37 contributors and 9 committers.
  • 100+ pull requests since entered Apache incubation.
  • Several discussions/bug reports on the GitHub Issues/WeChat groups, etc.
  • Number of GitHub stars increased (last report: 460, currently: 644).
  • A talk on ApacheConf Asia 2021 in BigData session on Aug. 6
  • Participate in 3 meetups to promote the project.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  • Preparing for the first release 1.3.0 after entering Apache incubation.
  • Add new modules kyuubi-spark-monitor, kyuubi-hive-jdbc, tools/spark-block-cleaner, rename module kyuubi-extension-spark_3.1 to kyuubi-extension-spark-3-1, and add scala version suffix in scala modules.
  • Reduce redundant test suites, switch to in-memory catalog and other refactors to speed up unit tests.
  • Several improvements on kyuubi-spark-engine.
  • Several improvements on kyuubi-extension-spark.
  • Several improvements on Kubernetes integration.
  • Default build against spark 3.1.
  • Support JDK 11.
  • Restful API design under discussion.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

No Release yet.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

No new committer added yet

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Our mentors have been helpful and responsive.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

The PPMC manages the podling's brand / trademarks.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (kyuubi) Willem Ning Jiang
    Comments: Finished the project setup, now it's time to work on first release.
  •  (kyuubi) Akira Ajisaka
    Comments:
  •  (kyuubi) Duo Zhang
    Comments:
  •  (kyuubi) Jeff Zhang
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


  • No labels