Yoko, a CORBA Server.
This proposal outlines the creation of a Apache Geronimo sub-project within the Apache Software Foundation.
The current Apache Geronimo project (http://geronimo.apache.org/) is in great need of a CORBA ORB that is not tied into a particular vendor's JVM and version.
This proposal is to build a compliant OMG CORBA server.
A set of leading vendors in this space are joining together to contribute code and developer resources for this project. We expect it to be a major success.
IONA and Trifork will contribute core pieces of the source. IONA source will open source an ORB and IIOP transport, and will provide the call chain utilizing Celtix jars. The project will then expose the transport via a dynamic API that is XMLSchema based and can be bound to JAX-B, XMLBeans, Apache Geronimo, Tuscany or any implementation. As a side benefit the XMLSchema API will also be able to support other transports and binding through configuration.
The developer community will take that code as input and produce the best possible CORBA server.
RESOURCES TO BE CREATED
- SVN Repository
- Mailing Lists
- Official Build Systems
AVOIDING THE WARNING SIGNS
Yoko will be a part of Apache Geronimo and under heavy active development.
Inexperience with open source:
Many of the current committers have experience working with open source projects and communities and the leaders of this project are long time ASF contributors. We do not expect any difficulty in executing under normal meritocracy rules.
There are developers from various companies: Chutnoon, IBM, IONA, LogicBlaze, Trifork, and Simula Labs.
No ties to other Apache products:
Yoko intends to be a sub-project of Apache Geronimo. Other Apache projects such as Harmony could also use the ORB.
A fascination with the Apache brand:
A CORBA ORB that is not tied to a particular vendor's JVM is critical for the Apache Geronimo project.
The contributors are leading vendors in this space. There is no risk of any of the usual warning signs of orphaned or abandoned code.
- David Blevins (IBM), email@example.com - Member of Geronimo PMC and Axis Committer
- Alan Cabrera (Simula Labs), firstname.lastname@example.org - Member of Geronimo PMC and Directory Committer
- Hiram Chirino (LogicBlaze), email@example.com - Member of Geronimo PMC
- Jeff Genender (Virtuas), firstname.lastname@example.org - Member of Geronimo PMC
- Matt Hogstrom (IBM), email@example.com - Member of Geronimo PMC
- David Jencks (IBM), firstname.lastname@example.org - Member of Geronimo PMC
- Anders Hessellund Jensen (Trifork), email@example.com
- Prasad Kosuru (IONA), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lars Kühne (OpenORB), email@example.com
- Trustin Lee (1noon.com), firstname.lastname@example.org - Member of Directory PMC and Felix PPMC
- Rick McGuire (IBM), email@example.com
- Darren Middleman (IONA), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Edell Nolan (IONA), email@example.com
- Conrad O'Dea (IONA), Conrad.ODea@iona.com
- Dion Picco (IONA), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Andy Piper (BEA), email@example.com
- Balaji Rravi (IONA), Balaji.MosurRavi@iona.com
- Jeppe Sommer (Trifork), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Adi Sakala (IONA), email@example.com
- Dain Sundstrom (IBM) firstname.lastname@example.org - Member of Geronimo PMC and JDO Committer
- Kresten Krab Thorup (Trifork), email@example.com
- David Weir (IONA), firstname.lastname@example.org
PROPOSED APACHE SPONSOR
The Apache Geronimo PMC has voted to accept this project into the Apache Geronimo project upon successful incubation.
- Ken Coar
- Geir Magnusson Jr.
- James Strachan