This Confluence has been LDAP enabled, if you are an ASF Committer, please use your LDAP Credentials to login. Any problems file an INFRA jira ticket please.

Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

FINAL FINAL FINAL - DO  NOT EDIT

NOTE that the content for this month report is in markdown format- please do not remove any formatting characters when adding your reports.

It also best to:

  • Keep all lines under 76 characters long.

  • All content under the ### headings should be indented by two spaces.

  • Please don't change the text in the headings or add new ones.
  • Include a space after a bullet point or full stop on a numbered list.
  • Use [X] (X and no spaces) to sign off reports.

Please make sure you use the current report and don't copy an old one, the headings do change from time to time.

A script will be run on this report before it is submitted to the board. If your lines are too long it may insert line breaks in unexpected places.

Reflow
fold -w 76 -s $1 | cat -s


Timeline

Wed December 04Podling reports due by end of day
Sun December 08Shepherd reviews due by end of day
Sun December 08Summary due by end of day
Tue December 10Mentor signoff due by end of day
Wed December 11

Report submitted to Board

Wed December 18Board meeting


Shepherd Assignments

Dave FisherDruid
Dave Fisherbrpc
Drew FarrisDaffodil
Drew FarrisMesaTEE
Justin McleanSAMOA
P. Taylor GoetzAPISIX
P. Taylor GoetzMarvin-AI
P. Taylor GoetzSuperset
Timothy ChenIoTDB
Timothy ChenSpot
Timothy ChenStreamPipes
noneBatchEE
noneCrail
noneDolphinScheduler
noneHivemall
noneNemo
noneShardingSphere
noneWarble

The Apache Incubator is the entry path into the ASF for projects and codebases wishing to become part of the Foundation's efforts.

This monthly report is in markdown so that it's easier to read. If you are not viewing this in that format, it can be seen here: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/December2019

There are presently 45 podlings incubating. In December, podlings executed 13 distinct releases. We added no new IPMC members and no IPMC members retired. There were one IP clearances.

We have one new podling this month StreamPipes; other is under discussion NuttX and two others a possibility. No projects graduated last month. Omin and Tephra exited the Incubator and became sub-projects of Phoenix. BatchEE is trying to complete becoming a subproject of Geronimo. At least one podling is heading towards graduation in the next few months. The Warble podling did not submit reports and will be asked to report again next month. TubeMQ has not been bootstrapped yet.

Weex is actively working on its branding issues mentioned last month.

Further work was done on cleaning up the incubator web site, including the cookbook.

Podlings, have continued to use the new disclaimer policy, and this seems to be working well. TVM asked the Incubator to review a release candidate before making a release, and several issues were identified and fixed. PageSpeed, which joined the Incubator in October 2017, also put its first release up for a vote. A couple of releases needed IPMC prodding to get votes, but most were quickly voted on.

Some statistics were generated, showing how many project enter and leave and how long they stay in incubating to see if any trends were visible. While the overall trend is up, there has been a decrease in podlings joining the Incubator in the last couple of years. There may be a number of reasons for this, including the outside perception of the ASF. It is likely that the carrying capacity of the Incubator had been exceeded in years before this. There have been 315 projects helped by the Incubator, and 77% of them have graduated, most spend 1 1/2 years in incubation. There's been more than a 1000 mentors.

The Incubator release area was cleaned up and old releases from retired and graduated projects removed.

A new branding/trademark question was added the podling report and the podling proposal as a few podling have not realised the importance of this.

A new top level project called Petri, was approved by the board. It's goal is to help external projects go straight to TLP, not using the Incubating process.

Community

New IPMC members:

  • None

People who left the IPMC:

  • None

New Podlings

  • StreamPipes

Podlings that failed to report, expected next month

  • Warble

Graduations

  • None

The board has motions for the following:

  • Druid

Releases

The following releases entered distribution during the month of November:

  • ApiSix 0.9
  • Datasketches memory 1.2.0
  • Datasketches postgresql 1.3.0
  • ECharts 4.5.0
  • Heron 0.20.2
  • IoTDB 0.9.0
  • Pinot 0.2.0
  • Pinot 0.2.0
  • Ratis Thirdparty 0.3.0
  • ShardingSphere 4.0.0
  • Superset 0.35.0
  • Superset 0.35.1
  • Tamaya 0.4-incubating

IP Clearance

  • Weex UI
  • New podling branding/trademark questions

Infrastructure

  • No issues

Miscellaneous

Table of Contents
Batchee
brpc
Crail
Daffodil
DolphinScheduler
Druid
Hivemall
IoTDB
Marvin-AI
MesaTEE
Nemo
SAMOA
APISIX
ShardingSphere
Spot
StreamPipes
Superset

BatchEE

BatchEE projects aims to provide a JBatch implementation (aka JSR352) and a set of useful extensions for this specification.

BatchEE has been incubating since 2013-10-03.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Project needs to finish its migration to Geronimo and exit incubator.

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

No

How has the community developed since the last report?

No change

How has the project developed since the last report?

Minor dependency upgrades

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other: exiting incubation in favor of a Geronimo subproject

Date of last release:

2017-12-01

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

2019-24-01

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

No answer.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

No answer.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (batchee) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Comments: BatchEE is discussing move into Geronimo project, and I think it makes sense.
  •  (batchee) Mark Struberg
    Comments:
  •  (batchee) Olivier Lamy Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


brpc

brpc is an industrial-grade RPC framework for building reliable and high- performance services.

brpc has been incubating since 2018-11-13.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. make more apache release
  2. attract more committer
  3. clean branding issue

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

No big issues.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  1. Website for brpc has been setup, https://brpc.apache.org
  2. Organized brpc workshop on coscon 2019 Shanghai, more than 30 people attended

How has the project developed since the last report?

  1. released 0.97 rc1
  2. vote for apache release 0.97 rc1 failed ,due to some minor problem
  3. working on 0.97rc2 release, will call for vote in one week

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

still on first apache release

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

No new committer, will search for some candidate next.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Our mentor Von pointed out some minor problem for 0.97 rc1, and gave some detail instruction through phone calls. JB and Kevin helped to sign the pod report。

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Not ready for the branding issue, will check it next month.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (brpc) Kevin A. McGrail
    Comments: None
  •  (brpc) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Comments:
  •  (brpc) Von Gosling
    Comments: In terms of brand / trademarks, I have read github and website briefly, haven't found any problem at present.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Crail

Crail is a storage platform for sharing performance critical data in distributed data processing jobs at very high speed.

Crail has been incubating since 2017-11-01.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Community building: Increase on number of contributors and users.
  2. Establish new use cases in the community
  3. Make release cycles more steady

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

No issues.

How has the community developed since the last report?

We released a new blog reporting "YCSB Benchmark with Crail on DRAM, Flash and Optane over RDMA and NVMe-over-Fabrics"

Samsung Research uses the data store for showcasing KV disk performance.

Stanford University used the data sore within their serverless 'Pocket' project.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  • Significant improvements to TCP/DRAM tier stability
  • Added resource elasticity to better fit serverless deployment model. According to current storage capacity needs, data nodes can be dynamically added and removed.
  • A new release 1.2 with above features is ongoing.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2018-11-26

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

December 4th, 2018

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Our mentors are very helpful.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Yes, others are using the podling's name correctly (e.g. Samsung Research, Stanford University)

Signed-off-by:

  •  (crail) Julian Hyde
    Comments: Crail seems to be slowing down. Only about 5 emails per month on the dev list, no significant code contributions for six months, no new committers or PPMC members added for a year. A new release is welcome, especially if it spurs community activity. I am worried that Crail will never acquire sufficient momentum to graduate.
  •  (crail) Luciano Resende
    Comments:
  •  (crail) Felix Cheung
    Comments: I share concerns with Julian

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Daffodil

Apache Daffodil is an implementation of the Data Format Description Language (DFDL) used to convert between fixed format data and XML/JSON.

Daffodil has been incubating since 2017-08-27.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Increase community growth and participation from outside Tresys (main priority)
  2. Work with other Apache projects where Daffodil could provide extra functionality (Apache PLC4X, NiFI, and Drill are potential goals)
  3. Establish a frequent release schedule

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

  • None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  • Voted to add a new Committer, on boarding now.
  • Daffodil talk at ApacheCon NA 2019
  • Daffodil attendance at Podling SharkTank at ApacheCon NA 2019
  • Daffodil talk at BarCamp at ApacheCon NA 2019
  • Attended Hackathon at ApacheCon NA 2019, led to collaboration with Apache PLC4X/code generation and planned collaboration with Apache Drill
  • Discussions have continue with relative frequency on users@ and dev@ mailing lists, which more new people popping up in discussions
  • Planning to submit a talk for the DC Roadshow in March when CFP opens

How has the project developed since the last report?

  • 25 commits merged from 4 different contributors
  • 50 issues created, 28 issues resolved--lagging in keeping up with new bugs, but focus has been on bigger features rather than bug fixes for this release
  • Nearing next release, expected in early December. Major features include user defined functions, support for BLOBs and files larger than 2GB, and fixed schema compilation performance regression with ultimate goal of improving schema compilation speed.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2019-07-12

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  • 2019-11-26 - Olabusayo Kilo (Committer)
  • 2019-06-20 - Brandon Sloane (PPMC)

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

  • Yes

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Signed-off-by:

  •  (daffodil) Dave Fisher
    Comments: Community growth beyond Tresys has been difficult.
  •  (daffodil) Christofer Dutz
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


DolphinScheduler

Dolphin Scheduler is a distributed and easy-to-expand visual DAG workflow scheduling system dedicated to solving the complex dependencies in data processing, making the scheduling system out of the box for data processing.

Dolphin Scheduler has been incubating since 2019-8-29.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Make first Apache releases. (In voting progress)
  2. Appeal more users and contributors.
  3. Make more interactive e-mail discussion besides github, wechat

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  1. Now there are 42 external contributors, keep the same as November.
  2. 2 committers were voted to join Dolphin Scheduler committers group last month, and there is a plan to vote 3-4 more committers next month.
  3. 131 users subscribed the mail(from 67 subscribers) of dev and dev-notification and we got 113 mails formal discussions(from about 60 mails).
  4. There is a plan to hold a co-meetup with Sharding Sphere in Dec, 8th in Beijing.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  1. PPMC is voting for an Apache release 1.2.0 on Nov,27,which includes 9 features and 18 enhancements and bug fix.
  2. Build a CI/CD base on Github actions.
  3. Default DB is changed from MySQL to PostgreSQL.
  4. 241 issues created,237 PRs merged .

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

No answer.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

2019-11-11

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Yes, our mentors help a lot on our first Apache Release, including first time on CI/CD, license check, Apache checklist, and so on. Wu Sheng gave us many useful advice.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Yes, We keep tracking podling's brand / trademarks.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (dolphinscheduler) Sheng Wu
    Comments: Need more works on working in Apache way, especially remote work mode, mail list discussion and decision. Good start for a new project. Hope they are learning fast.
  •  (dolphinscheduler) ShaoFeng Shi
    Comments:
  •  (dolphinscheduler) Liang Chen
    Comments:
  •  (dolphinscheduler) Furkan KAMACI
    Comments:
  •  (dolphinscheduler) Kevin Ratnasekera
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Druid

Druid is a high-performance, column-oriented, distributed data store.

Druid has been incubating since 2018-02-28.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. The project is not aware of any issues blocking graduation. Druid previously shelved a resolution to graduate due to a potential brand issue, which the project has since been working on with VP Brand. It is now no longer a concern so the project is proceeding towards graduation once again.

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  • 2 new committers have been added
  • A healthy, constant flow of bug fixes, quality improvements and new features are still ongoing at https://github.com/apache/incubator-druid.
  • Several community meetups have been held.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  • Since the last report, we have had a total of 187 commits from 34 contributors.
  • We have released 1 version, 0.16.0.
  • We currently have a vote open for 0.16.1, second release candidate

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

Druid 0.16.0-incubating was released on Sep 24, 2019

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

The Druid PPMC elected 2 new committers to the project on September 22, 2019.

The previous Sep 2019 report was incorrect here, as the two committers were not yet officially elected then.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

As always, Julian has been quite helpful.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

The PPMC has from time to time reached out to have naming corrected on third party sites. VP Brand has approved graduating as Apache Druid.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (druid) Julian Hyde
    Comments: Though not stated in the above report, there will be a resolution to graduate Druid at this month's board meeting. The IP issues that caused us to pause last time have been resolved. This is why the '3 issues to address before graduating' contains only one issue.
  •  (druid) P. Taylor Goetz
    Comments:
  •  (druid) Jun Rao
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

Dave Fisher - It looks like Druid will move forward with graduation soon!


Hivemall

Hivemall is a library for machine learning implemented as Hive UDFs/UDAFs/UDTFs.

Hivemall has been incubating since 2016-09-13.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Community growth (committers and users)
  2. One or more Apache Releases as an Incubator project

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

None

How has the community developed since the last report?

How has the project developed since the last report?

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2018-12-03

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Elected Jerome Banks as a committer on April 2, 2018.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Koji is active at mentoring.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

  • We initiate an initial podling name search and created a ticket in Jira

Signed-off-by:

  •  (hivemall) Xiangrui Meng
    Comments:
  •  (hivemall) Daniel Dai
    Comments:
  •  (hivemall) Koji Sekiguchi
    Comments: Makoto Yui is very active in the community.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


IoTDB

IoTDB is a data store for managing large amounts of time series data such as timestamped data from IoT sensors in industrial applications.

IoTDB has been incubating since 2018-11-18.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Learn to discuss things on the mailing list, rather than just post an ISSUE created or closed message, or discuss on Github.
  2. More committers should know how to release a version. And more PPMC should join to vote.
  3. Write more documentation to help new contributors.

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

No

How has the community developed since the last report?

  1. New contributors appears, e.g., HT Hou for PR527, liutaohua for PR578, yx-zhang for PR540, francisdu for ISSUE293, SilverNarcissus for PR327, nlosilva1 for PR298, Zesong Sun etc..
  2. According to github's records, there are 50 contributors now.
  3. New committer Jack Tsai.
  4. New PPMC: Julian Feinauer
  5. Twitter account is created: Apacheiotdb
  6. More than 137 mails are recorded on dev@ mailing list

How has the project developed since the last report?

  1. IoTDB released v0.8.1. And vote for 0.9.0 has passed.
  2. IoTDB v0.9.0 fixed 16 bugs, introduced 31 new features and 27 improvements. (According to the statistics of 0.9.0's RELEASE_NOTE)

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:
  1. The community is more diverse than before. As far as the reporter knows, the contributors come from more than 10 companies/organizers.
  2. More users begin to report the bugs, which means that more and more users are using IoTDB.
  3. According to the reporter's view, IoTDB is more stable and has better performance than before.

Date of last release:

2019-10-30 (0.8.1)

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

2019-11-05 for new committer and 2019-11-07 for new PPMC

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

  1. Few PPMCs have permissions to maintain IoTDB JIRA (e.g., add label, close issues.). The permission may need to be fixed.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Required Name Search is done. A google search didn’t show any major branding issues that the PPMC needs to deal with.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (iotdb) Justin Mclean
    Comments: Growing well.
  •  (iotdb) Christofer Dutz
    Comments:
  •  (iotdb) Willem Ning Jiang
    Comments: I can see IoTDB did lot of works to growing the community, it's in a right track now.
  •  (iotdb) Kevin A. McGrail
    Comments: Great project and great community. Love to be a witness to their continued growth.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Marvin-AI

Marvin-AI is an open-source artificial intelligence (AI) platform that helps data scientists, prototype and productionalize complex solutions with a scalable, low-latency, language-agnostic, and standardized architecture while simplifies the process of exploration and modeling.

Marvin-AI has been incubating since 2018-08-21.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Increase activity from current contributors and community.
  2. Build compatibility with all the mainstream storages for artifact persistence.
  3. Finish the new version of Toolbox.

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

  • No.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  • We implemented Marvin in a new Fintech company "Ame Digital" in Sao Paulo - Brazil as their main MLOps tool, and all their data department are interested in contributing. We are currently working together to add compatibility with MS Azure for artifact persistence.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  • New AutoML public engines added.
  • Minor bug fixes.
  • Compatibility with Google Cloud BigQuery for data import added.
  • AutoML module with Spark MLib in construction.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2019-07-18

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  • Wei Chen added as new PPMC member (2019-06-07)

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

  • Our mentors are sometimes active.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Yes.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (marvin-ai) Luciano Resende
    Comments:
  •  (marvin-ai) William Colen
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


MesaTEE

MesaTEE is the next-gen solution to enable general computing service for security-critical scenarios. It will allow even the most sensitive data to be securely processed to enable offshore businesses without leakage.

MesaTEE has been incubating since 2019-08-19.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Finish the initial setup for MesaTEE and its sub-repos.
  2. Choose a suitable name for MesaTEE and rename the repos.
  3. Make the access control mechanism and RPC framework more scalable and ergonomic.

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

Regarding to the CI system, we do have some problem with migrating the webhooks. MesaTEE definitely requires CI runs on customized hardware. However, the Apache INFRA team is pretty conservative on adopting novel CI systems which support customized hardware and self-hosted agent, such as Github Action, Drone etc. We observed that Apache projects depending on CI running on customized hardware, such as incubator-tvm, experienced difficulty to migrate its webhooks and was challenged several times on the reason of using customized hardware in CI. Besides, we observed that Apache Spark is using Github Action, while we are blocked on it (see INFRA-19381).

The bootstrapping process seems slow due to the above problem. We have a temporary workaround to use our Drone CI system. It leverages a sync bot which automatically sync up incubator-mesatee and a testing fork and triggers the webook of the testing fork. For management, we force the developers to put the link of CI status for each PR in their PR message. It works, but we really desire the integration to new CI and self-hosted CI agents.

For the renaming, we found a new name "Teaclave" which is not used anywhere.

How has the community developed since the last report?

MesaTEE has one more contributor this month, and merged 50+ PRs from 13 contributors.

How has the project developed since the last report?

We implemented the new access control system in MesaPy, and merged into MesaTEE. The new access control system is much more powerful and flexible than traditional user/role/group based access control system, and is memory-safe and trusted with the help of MesaPy and MesaTEE.

We improved the MesaTEE infrastructure to make it k8s-friendly. We refactored parts of the MesaTEE system and are doing on others.

We improved the build system. We deprecated the old-fashioned Makefile, and only kept the cmake system.

We figured out a temporary solution for integrating the Drone CI system and self-hosted agents by syncing up incubator-mesatee and testing fork, and triggering tests on the testing fork.

We are improving the built-in RPC framework to use prost to automatically generate Rust source codes from protobuf's protocol definitions.

We fixed a couple of bugs reported from the open source community.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

N/A

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

N/A

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

We received instructions on the project renaming process from our mentors. Thanks to every one!

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Yes. We don't find any 3rd parties incorrectly using the podling's name and brand for now. Also, PPMC is working on the podling name search.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (MesaTEE) Felix Cheung
    Comments: sounds like the issue in INFRA-19381 on the way, is that still blocked or just need more time?
  •  (MesaTEE) Furkan Kamaci
    Comments:
  •  (MesaTEE) Jianyong Dai
    Comments:
  •  (MesaTEE) Luciano Resende
    Comments:
  •  (MesaTEE) Matt Sicker
    Comments:
  •  (MesaTEE) Zhijie Shen
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Nemo

Nemo is a data processing system to flexibly control the runtime behaviors of a job to adapt to varying deployment characteristics.

Nemo has been incubating since 2018-02-04.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Grow the community (committers, contributors, users)
  2. Create more releases

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  • Attracted contributors through the GSoC program and class offering

How has the project developed since the last report?

  • Preparing for a new release
  • Improved code quality by addressing many sonarcloud issues
  • Stream processing features implemented but not merged yet into the master

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

Release 0.1 on Dec. 31, 2018

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

None yet. We have a couple of candidates we would like to invite.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Yes.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Yes.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (nemo) Hyunsik Choi
    Comments:
  •  (nemo) Byung-Gon Chun
    Comments:
  •  (nemo) Jean-Baptiste Onofre
    Comments:
  •  (nemo) Markus Weimer
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


SAMOA

SAMOA provides a collection of distributed streaming algorithms for the most common data mining and machine learning tasks such as classification, clustering, and regression, as well as programming abstractions to develop new algorithms that run on top of distributed stream processing engines (DSPEs). It features a pluggable architecture that allows it to run on several DSPEs such as Apache Storm, Apache S4, and Apache Samza.

SAMOA has been incubating since 2014-12-15.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Revitalize the project by resuming development
  2. Enlarge the user base and contributing community

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

Nothing important. It took more than 2 months to create the account of Corey Sterling, as it seems that some things are still done manually, and there was a mistake with his email address. Finally, we could solve it out.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  • Mailing list activity:
  • @dev: 33 messages

How has the project developed since the last report?

  • Retirement has been suggested due to its very low activity
  • To restart engagement, Corey Sterling has been elected as commiter in late August. With his help, we prepared a new release of Apache SAMOA, that is already being discussed and voted (RC).

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2016-09-30

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

August 2019

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Yes, the mentors have been helpful and responsive.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Yes. There are no 3rd parties incorrectly using the podling‘s name and brand for now.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (samoa) Alan Gates
    Comments:
  •  (samoa) Ashutosh Chauhan
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


APISIX

APISIX is a cloud-native microservices API gateway, delivering the ultimate performance, security, open source and scalable platform for all your APIs and microservices.

APISIX is based on Nginx and etcd. Compared with traditional API gateways, APISIX has dynamic routing and plug-in hot loading, which is especially suitable for API management under micro-service system.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating

  1. More Apache Releases and more committers act as release manager to release a version.
  2. More committers and PPMC members.
  3. Branding issues in the documentation, code, website, etc.

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  • We are proud to have launched the first apache release (0.9).
  • Learning Apache way and its value behind rules, working in Apache way.
  • We have 13 committers and 46 contributors (including 13 committers) contributing to Apache APISIX.
  • PPMC members of Apache APISIX elected a new committer lilien1010@HelloTalk, who is the first non-initial committer.

How has the project developed since the last report?

The project has been quite health, with more than 88 pull requests, 83 of them have being merged in November. These pull requests are authored by a diverse set of contributors. We also suggest and guide users from QQ group to make issues at Apache APISIX mailing list, which is helpful for people who have the same issue and tracking bugs. The active and busy dev subscribe mailing list dev@apisix.apache.org has received more than 120 emails with various subjects, all of which are well repled.

Some highlights of recent developments:

  • Launched the first apache release 0.9.
  • Added advanced debug mode which is friendly to the developers.
  • Added new uri redirect plugin.
  • Use an entirely new jsonschema which performance increase by an order of magnitude.
  • Enable HTTP2 support and settings for ssl_protocols.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

  • Mon Nov 25 2019 (0.9)

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  • At Nov 28 2019 PPMC members elected a new commiter @lilien1010 who worked for HelloTalk.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Mentors are responsive and helpful. Things tend to be on the right way.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand and trademarks?

At present, there are still some brand and trademarks problems. APISIX was the name of Apache APISIX before entering the incubator, so the search results of APISIX currently obtained through the search engine actually belongs to Apache APISIX and are completely controllable.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (APISIX) Willem Ning Jiang
    Comments: Congratulation to the first release of APISIX, this podling is in a good track now.
  •  (APISIX) Justin Mclean
    Comments: Off to a very goos start.
  •  (APISIX) Kevin Ratnasekera
    Comments:
  •  (APISIX) Von Gosling
    Comments: Good shape.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


ShardingSphere

ShardingSphere is an ecosystem of transparent distributed database middleware, focusing on data sharding, distributed transaction and database orchestration.

ShardingSphere has been incubating since 2018-11-10.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Clear Brand issues with other ecosystem projects.
  2. Further ASF culture and processes.
  3. Make more apache releases.

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

No. Right now, the brand issues are under control, so we think board or IPMC may do not need do any actions for now.

There are still several related project on GitHub org in ShardingSphere ecosystem, before or during project joined the ASF incubator, such as extension modules, extension module examples and acceptance test are not in Apache repo. We have already moved some extension modules into Apache repo, and plan to transfer all of them soon.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  1. Ya Li, Zhiyi Yan have been voted and joined as committer.
  2. There are 89 people to contribute codes to the main repo, there are 15 new contributors during last report. We are happy to see the community are growing up.
  3. Over 100 companies have confirmed they are using ShardingSphere through issue report, and show at powered-by page[1]. Individuals from different companies and communities have provided some patches to feed back ShardingSphere community.
  4. Share a topic for Apache way and how to join ShardingSphere community in Apache meetup at Tsinghua University.
  5. Finish Podling Maturity Assessment for ShardingSphere[2].
  6. Plan to establish a co-meetup with Apache DolphinScheduler(incubator) in Beijing at Dec 8th.

[1]https://shardingsphere.apache.org/community/en/poweredby/

[2]https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SHARDINGSPHERE/Podling +Maturity+Assessment+for+ShardingSphere

How has the project developed since the last report?

  1. Release 4.0.0-RC3 last month, main features are UI and SQL92 supported.
  2. Accept donated sharding-scaling project and will merge to trunk before next release.
  3. Plan to release 4.0.0 stable version soon.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2019-11-22

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

2019-11-13

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Mentors are responsive and helpful. Things tend to be on the right way.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Yes. We don't find any 3rd parties incorrectly using the podling‘s name and brand for now.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (shardingsphere) Craig L Russell Comments:
  •  (shardingsphere) Benjamin Hindman Comments:
  •  (shardingsphere) Willem Ning Jiang Comments: Shardingsphere made a very good progress of growing the community, I think it's time to consider the graduation.
  •  (shardingsphere) Von Gosling Comments: developer community is very active in github issues and pr. IMO, if we could take brand / trademarks well in the next, it would be nice to call for graduation.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Spot

Apache Spot is a platform for network telemetry built on an open data model and Apache Hadoop.

Spot has been incubating since 2016-09-23.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Revive community activity (Discussion in mailing lists, increase frequency of commits)
  2. Create a new roadmap and release plan that will improve adoption.
  3. Make it easier to contribute to the project (e.g. documentation, framework).

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

No

How has the community developed since the last report?

There are community members that have reached out and are interested in contributing, but there are only a couple of active committers at this time. Currently the main hurdle for new contributors is the amount of effort required today to deploy Spot and build development environments.

How has the project developed since the last report?

Open PRs with sufficient votes against the master branch and SPOT-181 epic have been merged. There's also been a substantial amount of work to categorize all of the open JIRAs into a Project board on Github to help the community more easily triage high priority issues, organize feature enhancements into future epics, clean-up closed tickets, and also group issues that require more information from the community before taking action. Additionally there's been some work to clean-up the asf-site branch, and minor updates (PRs are being pushed soon). There's a larger project to re-organize the asf-site to make it easier for the community to update and add new pages, but that hasn't started yet.

The project with the most priority going forward is to make Spot easier to deploy. There's a large learning curve for deploying Spot today, which makes it difficult for both users and committers to be successful when standing up Spot, using certain features, testing, and making contributions back into the project. Using Cloudbreak to stand-up an environment and deploying Spot as an Ambari package will help lower the barriers to entry for new and existing users and contributors alike. We expect during this project that we'll also uncover a number of deployment issues and incompatibilities along the way and by resolving these will also help bring confidence to users that this new deployment pattern will be better tested and reliable.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2017-09-08

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

2018-01-18

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Yes

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Yes

Signed-off-by:

  •  (spot) Uma Maheswara Rao G
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


StreamPipes

StreamPipes is a self-service (Industrial) IoT toolbox to enable non- technical users to connect, analyze and explore (Industrial) IoT data streams.

StreamPipes has been incubating since 2019-11-11.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Finish the initial setup
  2. Make a first Apache release
  3. Grow the community

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

There are no issues right now.

How has the community developed since the last report?

All initial committers have subscribed to the new mailing list. We started to spread the project on Twitter and other channels to reach more potential community members, but currently, the main priority is to move the project infrastructure to Apache. There was also one event focused on extending the developer base:

  • We gave a talk at a meetup on "Self-Service IoT Data Analytics with StreamPipes" (~70 participants)

How has the project developed since the last report?

This is the first report after StreamPipes joined the incubator on November 11th. Most work during the last month was focused around setting up StreamPipes and doing some legal paperwork to transition StreamPipes to Apache:

  • Creation of mailing lists
  • Setting up the new StreamPipes Jira
  • We made a last pre-Apache release and started to refactor our code (restructuring the code base to reflect the new repository structure)
  • The website and documentation is already moved to Apache Git repositories, and a draft is online at streampipes.apache.org, however, we need to wait to "announce" the web page and forward traffic from the existing domains untilthe Git repos are all transferred
  • All initial committers have signed and submitted their ICLAs
  • FZI has submitted a CCLA and donated the initial code base to Apache
  • Right now, we are waiting to transfer our existing Git repos from the streampipes organization to the Apache organization on Github
  • We are also waiting to get admin access to the StreamPipes instance on Jira to import existing issues to the new issue tracker

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

XXXX-XX-XX

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

No new committers were elected beyond the initial committers. We'll focus on attracting new committers once the initial setup is finished.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

We would really like to thank our mentors. Chris was very helpful and responsive in setting up the infrastructure, and all questions we had on the mailing list were answered immediately by our mentors.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

  • We initiated an initial podling name search and created a ticket to get the name approved in Jira (November 25th).
  • The name "Apache StreamPipes" got approved by VP Brand Management on December, 12th

Signed-off-by:

  •  (streampipes) Christofer Dutz
    Comments:
  •  (streampipes) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Comments:
  •  (streampipes) Julian Feinauer
    Comments:
  •  (streampipes) Justin Mclean
    Comments:
  •  (streampipes) Kenneth Knowles
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Superset

Apache Superset (incubating) is a modern, enterprise-ready business intelligence web application.

Graduation Progress

A list of the three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation.

  1. Get the trademark search / name approved; Suitable name search has been submitted.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  • 2-3 more official ASF releases
  • New committer + PMC Daniel Gaspar
  • Submitted our suitable name search (waiting for approval)
  • Major dev milestones: -- Enhancing Big Query integration -- Improving Elastic search and Superset

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

November 26th, 2019 (0.35.1), released by user: dgaspar

[https://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/superset/0.35.1](https://www.apache.o rg/dist/incubator/superset/0.35.1)

How has the community developed since the last report?

  • Organic growth of our Github Contributors: -- Stars (25,200 → 27,034) -- Forks (5076→ 5,400) -- Watchers (1212 → 1,245)
  • Added 295 commits (August, Sept, November to date)
  • Grew Superset slack users to (973→ 1,023)
  • Set up Meetup Group w/ Bug Bash + Happy Hour with first meetup on 12/2 in partnership with other committers
  • Published by Community Members:

[https://engineering.linkedin.com/blog/2019/an-inside-look-at-linkedins-data -pipeline-monitoring-system-](https://engineering.linkedin.com/blog/2019/an- inside-look-at-linkedins-data-pipeline-monitoring-system-)

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  • Daniel Gaspar (committer + PPMC) - announced september 27th

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Yes, Alan Gates validates and votes on releases, and are generally responsive when we ask for their attention.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Yes.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (superset) Ashutosh Chauhan
    Comments:
  •  (superset) Luke Han
    Comments:
  •  (superset) Alan Gates Comments: After a slow start the Superset podling has really picked up momentum. They are consistently making releases and have been adding new members to the community. It is good to see.
  •  (superset) Jakob Homan
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

  • No labels