This Confluence has been LDAP enabled, if you are an ASF Committer, please use your LDAP Credentials to login. Any problems file an INFRA jira ticket please.

Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Incubator PMC report for January 2019

** FINAL DO NOT EDIT **

Timeline

Wed January 02

Podling reports due by end of day

Sun January 06

Shepherd reviews due by end of day

Sun January 06

Summary due by end of day

Tue January 08

Mentor signoff due by end of day

Wed January 09

Report submitted to Board

Wed January 16

Board meeting

Shepherd Assignments

Dave Fisher

IoTDB

Dave Fisher

Pinot

Drew Farris

Marvin-AI

Drew Farris

Rya

John Ament

NetBeans

Justin Mclean

BRPC

P. Taylor Goetz

Annotator

P. Taylor Goetz

BatchEE

P. Taylor Goetz

Weex

Timothy Chen

MXNet

Timothy Chen

PLC4X

Timothy Chen

SensSoft

<ac:structured-macro ac:name="unmigrated-wiki-markup" ac:schema-version="1" ac:macro-id="bcc7dade-b972-4c9c-b3d3-76fa46643782"><ac:plain-text-body><![CDATA[

[none]

Amaterasu

]]></ac:plain-text-body></ac:structured-macro>

<ac:structured-macro ac:name="unmigrated-wiki-markup" ac:schema-version="1" ac:macro-id="945246f1-01c5-42e2-af48-f696873a698b"><ac:plain-text-body><![CDATA[

[none]

Gobblin

]]></ac:plain-text-body></ac:structured-macro>

<ac:structured-macro ac:name="unmigrated-wiki-markup" ac:schema-version="1" ac:macro-id="257ff6d6-9535-4427-b634-de75d717dd3d"><ac:plain-text-body><![CDATA[

[none]

Livy

]]></ac:plain-text-body></ac:structured-macro>

<ac:structured-macro ac:name="unmigrated-wiki-markup" ac:schema-version="1" ac:macro-id="c610f1f5-dd39-4a25-a2ed-7bfc6d073e93"><ac:plain-text-body><![CDATA[

[none]

Milagro

]]></ac:plain-text-body></ac:structured-macro>

<ac:structured-macro ac:name="unmigrated-wiki-markup" ac:schema-version="1" ac:macro-id="5c10ce65-eecc-4aaa-9dd1-bc98572d5e2d"><ac:plain-text-body><![CDATA[

[none]

ShardingSphere

]]></ac:plain-text-body></ac:structured-macro>

Report content

Incubator PMC report for January 2019

The Apache Incubator is the entry path into the ASF for projects and
codebases wishing to become part of the Foundation's efforts.

There are presently 51 podlings incubating. During the month of December,
podlings executed 8 distinct releases. We added 8 new IPMC members and 
had no IPMC members retire. The mentor situation has continued to improve 
but we still have a number of podlings with less than 3 mentors.

Apache Airflow graduated and several podlings are heading towards 
graduation. An incubator exit interview was sent to Airflow and the IPMC 
got some feedback on the incubating process. It highlighted a known 
issue with releases that needs to be made clear to mentors and PPMCs (as a 
number of podlings have recently run into the same issue). A discussion 
will 
be started soon about this.

Several new podlings are off to a slow start. BatchEE is still stuck in 
performing the last graduation steps, but the PPMC have said they will get 
to it in February.

One new podling Iceberg reported very late. Both podlings that failed to
report last month reported this month.

There were 2 IP clearances.

A meeting was held with Superset to discuss its issues and good progress 
was made. The meeting notes were posted back to the dev list, teh project 
still has not made an Apache release.

It was noticed that MXNet was also making unapproved releases and had some 
branding and policy issues, the MXNet PPMC have taken action to fix some 
the issues.

* Community

  New IPMC members:
  - Akira Ajisaka
  - Gang (Gary) Wang
  - Liang Chen 
  - Lionel Liu 
  - Makoto Yui 
  - Mohammad Asif Siddiqui
  - Sijie Guo
  - Thomas Weise

  People who left the IPMC:
  - None

* New Podlings
  - None

* Podlings that failed to report, expected next month
 - Iceburg

* Graduations

  The board has motions for the following:
  - None

* Releases

  The following releases entered distribution during the month of
  December:
  - Nemo 0.1
  - Netbeans 10.0
  - Skywalking 6.0.0 beta
  - Druid 0.13.0
  - Gobblin 0.14.0
  - Crail 1.1
  - Airflow 1.10.1
  - Omid 1.0.0

* IP Clearance
  - Apache Arrow Parquet Rust Library
  - OpenWhisk Composer Python

* Legal / Trademarks
  See main section for note on MXNet.

* Infrastructure
  N/A

* Miscellaneous
  - There was discussion around establishing a project at the ASF to host 
  and develop training and related materials for ASF projects.
  - A release checklist application was created and has had a few people 
  take interest in it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
                       Table of Contents
Amaterasu
Annotator
BatchEE
BRPC
Gobblin
Iceberg
IoTDB
Livy
Marvin-AI
Milagro
MXNet
NetBeans
Pinot
PLC4X
Rya
SensSoft
ShardingSphere
Weex

----------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
Amaterasu

Apache Amaterasu is a framework providing configuration management and 
deployment for Big Data Pipelines.

It provides the following capabilities:
Continuous integration tools to package pipelines and run tests.
A repository to store those packaged applications: the applications 
repository.
A repository to store the pipelines, and engine configuration (for 
instance, the location of the Spark master, etc.): per environment - the 
configuration repository.
A dashboard to monitor the pipelines.
A DSL and integration hooks allowing third parties to easily integrate.

Amaterasu has been incubating since 2017-09.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Grow up user and contributor communities
  2. Prepare documentation

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware 
of?

  There is still concern regarding the progress of the project, a 
  discussion was re-initiated by one of the mentors recently and is currently 
  ongoing.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  One new contributor have contributed code that have been merged. In 
  addition, we are actively looking for more use cases and organizations to 
  use Amaterasu.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * 4 pull requests have been opened since the last report and 4 have been 
  merged
  * Since last report 9 more issues have been created and 4 out of them 
  have been assigned

Date of the last release:

  12 July 2018

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  N/A

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling through 
the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues that need to be 
addressed.

  N/A

Signed-off-by:

  [X](amaterasu) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
     Comments:
  [X](amaterasu) Olivier Lamy
     Comments:
  [X](amaterasu) Davor Bonaci
     Comments: No progress this quarter on project viability / graduation 
     not in sight.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Annotator

Annotator provides annotation enabling code for browsers, servers, and 
humans.

Annotator has been incubating since 2016-08-30.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Release initial versions
  2. Add active contributors
  3. Demonstrate good governance through voting on process improvements.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  The last quarter saw the departure of a couple previous mentors (due to 
  their overall
  workloads being too high in general). They have been replaced by two new 
  mentors
  who are getting familiar with Apache Annotator and its needs.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  We remain a small (probably too small) team, and continue to reach out to 
  potential
  contributors--folks who had expressed interest in building the Apache 
  Annotator community
  and code, but who have yet to participate. We will be doing more to 
  encourage more
  involvement in 2019--especially leading up to http://iannotate.org/ (a 
  significant annotation focused event).

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Coding and discussion activity have continued to remain at low levels. We 
  will be working
  on setting some achievable targets for features and release in 2019 in 
  hopes of moving that needle.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

 [x] Initial setup
 [-] Working towards first release
 [-] Community building
 [ ] Nearing graduation
 [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  N/A

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  Last committer was added in August. That same committer is now on the PMC 
  as of November.

Signed-off-by:

  [x](annotator) Nick Kew
     Comments: Memory is hazy (I've been unwell the past week).  I think 
     the above is a fair summary: the successful effort to recruit new mentors 
     was a positive episode.  The subject of growing the PMC has been raised, 
     and the project wishes to distinguish between those with a real interest 
     (PMC) vs those whose contributions may have been of a more drive-by nature 
     but who might nevertheless be made committers.
  [ ](annotator) Steve Blackmon
     Comments:
  [ ](annotator) Tommaso Teofili
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:
  Justin Mclean: Are there any plans to make a release? Incubating for 2
  years without a release is a long time. Can you also state if your
  mentors have been helpful.

--------------------
BatchEE

BatchEE projects aims to provide a JBatch implementation (aka
JSR352) and a set of useful extensions for this specification.

BatchEE has been incubating since 2013-10-03.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Main issue is finishing the graduation, we will get a small discussion 
  to check it is what we want to do (vs giving back the project to geronimo)
  2.
  3.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  Some issue graduating (time issue for PMC)

How has the community developed since the last report?

  It is stable

How has the project developed since the last report?

  No new feature

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [X] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2017-12-01

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2015-12-01 Reinhard Sandtner

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](batchee) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
     Comments:
  [X](batchee) Olivier Lamy
     Comments:
  [X](batchee) Mark Struberg
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
BRPC

brpc is an industrial-grade RPC framework for building reliable and high-
performance services.

BRPC has been incubating since 2018-11-13.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. TBD
  2. TBD
  3. TBD

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  No

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Brpc is still on early stage of incubating。

How has the project developed since the last report?

  We have finished the sign of SGA and ICLA, setup dev@brpc.apache.org 
  email list, and add Gosling Von as our mentors.
  And begin to transfer repo.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  N/A

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](brpc) Kevin A. McGrail
     Comments:
  [X](brpc) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
     Comments:
  [X](brpc) Von Gosling
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:
  Von Gosling: we have discussed the TBD parts in the report, 
  more attention will be paid in the next report.
  Justin Mclean: Can you also state if your mentors have been helpful.

--------------------
Gobblin

Gobblin is a distributed data integration framework that simplifies common
aspects of big data integration such as data ingestion, replication,
organization and lifecycle management for both streaming and batch data
ecosystems.

Gobblin has been incubating since 2017-02-23.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  Nothing at this time.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  No.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * 92% of commits were from non-committer contributors.
  * Email stats since last report:
    user@gobblin.incubator.apache.org : 27
    dev@gobblin.incubator.apache.org : 218
  * There have been 61 Commits since last report:
    git log --format='%ci' | grep -cE '((2018-1(0|1|2))|(2019-01))'
  * 56 ie. 92% of those commits were by non-committers:
    git log --format='%ae %ci' | grep -E '((2018-1(0|1|2))|(2019-01))'|
    cut -d ' ' -f 1 | sort | uniq -c | sort -n
  * Recurring video conference based meet-up has been happening every
    month with a healthy attendance.
  * After ApacheCon NA 2018, Gobblin was also presented in CrunchConf 
    Budapest 2018, and has independently been featured in various 
    meet-ups / conferences around the world.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * Multi-hop support in Gobblin-as-a-Service with in built workflow 
  manager.
  * Multicast through Multi-hop flow compiler.
  * Gobblin-as-a-Service integration with Azkaban.
  * New Elasticsearch writer intergration.
  * Optimized block level distcp-ng copy support.
  * HOCON support for flow requests to GaaS.
  * Ability to fork jobs when concatenating Dags
  * ServiceManager to manage GitFlowGraphMonitor in multihop flow compiler.
  * Distributed job launcher with Helix tagging support.
  * Several more enhancements and feature add-ons. 
    Full list across last two releases.
  * Release 0.14.0 done.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [x] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-12-09

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  Tamas Nemeth in November, 2018.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  Yes.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](gobblin) Jean-Baptiste Onofre
     Comments: 
  [ ](gobblin) Olivier Lamy
     Comments:
  [X](gobblin) Jim Jagielski
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:
  Justin Mclean: Given that 92% of commit are from non-committers why does
  the project not vote more committers in? I can only see one committer 
  voted in in the previous year. For a project nearing graduation I'd expect
  to see a lot more people voted in. I also don't see what is discussed in the
  video conferences being brought back to the list.

--------------------
Iceberg

Iceberg is a table format for large, slow-moving tabular data.

Iceberg has been incubating since 2018-11-16.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Finish the name clearance and trademark agreement.
  2. Make the first Apache release. 
(https://github.com/apache/incubator-iceberg/milestone/1)
  3. Grow the Iceberg community

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  * Gitbox traffic is now going to issues@. The community was losing dev@ 
    subscribers because of the high volume of traffic from Gitbox. However,
    now all updates are sent to issues@. It would be nice to have emails
    from creation go to dev@, while updates and resolutions would go the
    issues@.
  * The trademark agreement proposed by Netflix was not acceptable to the 
    ASF. It would be helpful if the ASF published the terms that the ASF
    requires to avoid trial and error. Netflix is drafting a new agreement.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * Moved gitbox notifications to avoid loss of dev@ subscribers 
  (self-reported leaving dev@).
  * New contributor activity: 3 new issues opened, 4 PRs submitted
  * 5 PRs from non-committers merged
  * 2 contributors started reviewing PRs
  * New design doc proposed by a community contributor
  * Moved issues from Netflix repository to Apache repository

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * Planned blockers for first release, 0.1.0, in milestone 1
  * Partial python implementation submitted
  * Manifest listing file added to the spec and implementation committed 
  (blocker for initial release). Resulted in a significant improvement in 
  query planning time for large tables.
  * Abstracted file IO API to support community use cases
  * Reviewing community proposal for external plugins to support file-level 
  encryption
  * Added doc strings to schemas

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup (name clearance pending)
  [X] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  None yet

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  None yet

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  Last month was December, so traffic has been low and both PPMC members and
  mentors were slow to respond. This is not abnormal, but the PPMC missed 
  the deadline to file this report. We will ensure this doesn't recur.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](iceberg) Ryan Blue
     Comments: I wrote the first pass of the report, but after the deadline.
  [ ](iceberg) Julien Le Dem
     Comments:
  [X](iceberg) Owen O'Malley
     Comments: Approval from +1 on dev list.
  [ ](iceberg) James Taylor
     Comments:
  [ ](iceberg) Carl Steinbach
     Comments:

--------------------
IoTDB

IoTDB is a data store for managing large amounts of time series data such as
timestamped data from IoT sensors in industrial applications.

IoTDB has been incubating since 2018-11-18.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Move source codes to Apache Repository
  2. Release the first version
  3. Build the community and supply documents. 

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  No.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  - A meetup titled by "The way of Open Source Software in China" is hold 
  at 2018.12.19. 
  - 122 emails are archived in the dev mail list
  - The website is available (http://iotdb.apache.org) now
  - Have a  touch with Apache RocketMQ community

How has the project developed since the last report?

  - Many ICLA files have signed, and the SGA is signed. So, the IP 
  clearance is done.
  - 29 PR are merged.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  - The project is still a newborn. 
  - After the meetup, some persons and companies have noticed IoTDB.
  - We will speed up to move codes to apache repository and try to release 
  the first version. 

  [X] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  - None

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  - None

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  - very Helpful

Signed-off-by:
  [X](iotdb) Kevin A. McGrail
     Comments:
  [X](iotdb) Justin Mclean
     Comments: What's the hold up on moving the codebase to the ASF?
  [X](iotdb) Christofer Dutz
     Comments:
  [ ](iotdb) Willem Ning Jiang
     Comments:
  [X](iotdb) Joe Witt
     Comments: Would like to see the codebase move to ASF world and work 
     toward release.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Livy

Livy is web service that exposes a REST interface for managing long running
Apache Spark contexts in your cluster. With Livy, new applications can be
built on top of Apache Spark that requires fine grained interaction with 
many
Spark contexts.

Livy has been incubating since 2017-06-05.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Grow the community to have more activities.
  2. Grow more contributors and committers.
  3. Regular release.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Activity has waned a little bit since the last report. Most of new 
  activity has been to stabilize a new feature (Hive-compatible Thrift
  server). Committer activity remains a bit low.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Mainly small bug fixes and stabilization of new code.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-02-06

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2017-09-18

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  We have not asked much of our mentors, but some are active on the email
  lists.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](livy) Bikas Saha
     Comments:
  [ ](livy) Brock Noland
     Comments:
  [x](livy) Luciano Resende
     Comments:
  [X](livy) Jean-Baptiste Onofre
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Marvin-AI

Marvin-AI is an open-source artificial intelligence (AI) platform that helps
data scientists, prototype and productionalize complex solutions with a
scalable, low-latency, language-agnostic, and standardized architecture
while simplifies the process of exploration and modeling.

Marvin-AI has been incubating since 2018-08-21.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1.Move development infrastructure to Apache
  2.Build Community
  3.Build Releases

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  * No.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * The project began to receive help from community members (not PPMC
  members) more actively with the development of the project site.
  * The community started discussing contribution patterns in the
  repository and came up with some good practices that should be followed
  * A new member is being included as a contributor to the project. Only a
  few details are missing for inclusion.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * A new code repository was created for the development of the project
  site following the Apache template.
  * Bug fixes were done in the code and in the project documentation.
  * Some PoC's to a new Toolbox version was included to a new branch on the
  repo.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  * At least two of the mentors are sometimes active.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [x] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  XXXX-XX-XX

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  * N/A

Signed-off-by:

  [X](marvin-ai) Jim Jagielski
     Comments:
  [x](marvin-ai) Luciano Resende
     Comments:
  [X](marvin-ai) William Colen
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:
  Justin Mclean: Can the PPMC please make sure that they are following the
  private mailing list.

--------------------
Milagro

Distributed Cryptography; M-Pin protocol for Identity and Trust

Milagro has been incubating since 2015-12-21.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Rebuild the team
  2. Edit the code for the first release
  3. Expand the community

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to beaware 
of?

  We need continuous support to restart the project management and to make 
  the code released.

  This project have been stalled for several month because initial 
  committers from Miracl unfortunately stopped activities from external 
  reasons.  
  It seems we should assume they will take more time to settle their 
  situation.
  We already have a set of codes that will work as the initial product, and 
  it will need some editorial (and possibly legal?) efforts to release.
  The idea of retirement was put to the vote and was rejected, and we are 
  working for restarting.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Some people are joining the community to the restart the project.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  We worked for the first release of the crypt library part, and have been 
  stalled because of the lack of knowledge about the release process.  
  It seems we need clarification on the release process mainly from the 
  legal aspects.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup (total restart)
  [X] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  XXXX-XX-XX

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  n/a

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling through
the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues that need to be
addressed.

  Mentors are helpful in starting the restart.
  The remaining members still lack very basic information about the 
  management in ASF, so we need continuous help.

  The project's open issues are:
  (1) Recover the team’s communication
  (2) Give access to the official repository for committers who already 
  signed ICLA,
  (3) List all the repositories that contain codes for this project,
  (4) Analyze status of each repository, possibly including legal status
  (5) Edit and merge the code and push to the official repository.
  (6) Release

  We need help and guide by mentors to address the issues from the 
  following aspects:
  (A) Input on Apache's process, source of information, or use of the 
  toolset,
  (B) Helpful facilitation for communication with PMCs and the community,
  (C) Guide how the output code/document should be.

  Mentors or a person who will lead the communication are requested to 
  submit a ping message on the mailing list regularly that asks any 
blockers.

Signed-off-by:

  [x](milagro) Nick Kew
     Comments: Great summary. Sadly the author appears to be the only 
     community member still to have a really active interest.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:
  Justin Mclean:Rather than asking the mentors to ping you I suggest you ask
  any question you have on the mailing list. If they are not answered or you
  need further help please ask on the general@ incubator list.
  I'm also concerned about the lack of discussion on the mailing list as a
  number of things mentioned above don't seem to have occurred on the list.

--------------------
MXNet

A Flexible and Efficient Library for Deep Learning

MXNet has been incubating since 2017-01-23.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Establish a predictable release process consistent with Apache Way -- 
  ESTABLISHED.
  2. Grow the community -- ONGOING.
  3. Identify remaining ICLAs or SGAs that need signing – NEAR COMPLETION.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?
  * The community voted on updated process becoming project committer and 
  PPMC member, vote results: 
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/458f234120ed8fbf98ddd57aa42eafe398cdd7e
aeb89ac2be9d214c7@%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E
  * The community voted on separating PMC and Committership - 
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/5bbd3b6daf5e89d17f92aed3aa8acd192841f11
822dcd21627ad5389@%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E
  * We have active contributors from companies like Nvidia, Intel, Wolfram
  Design and more. The number of github contributors increased from 506
  (3/31/2018) to currently 653 (2019-01-02; +10% since last report)
  * Active discussions on https://discuss.mxnet.io/ (English) and
  https://discuss.gluon.ai/ (Chinese)
  * We developed an active blog on Medium
  (https://medium.com/apache-mxnet) and have now 1k followers (+12.2% since 
  last report).
  * We established a YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/apachemxnet)
  and have 485 subscriber (+31% since last report).
  * We are tweeting to promote new content and community events such as
  meetups and conferences. Our Twitter account has 1768 followers on
  https://twitter.com/ApacheMXNet (17% since last report).
  * We established a global MXNet meetup group with 8 groups (+4) in 7 (+4)
  countries and 1209 member (+45% since last report).
  https://www.meetup.com/pro/deep-learning-with-apache-mxnet/
  * Highlights in MXNet ecosystem: GluonCV v0.3.0 release
  (https://github.com/dmlc/gluon-cv/releases/tag/v0.3.0), GluonNLP v0.5.0 
  release
  (https://github.com/dmlc/gluon-nlp/releases/tag/v0.5.0), MXNet Model 
  Server v1.0.1
  release 
  (https://github.com/awslabs/mxnet-model-server/releases/tag/v1.0.1),
  Gluon-zh book v0.7 release 
  (https://github.com/d2l-ai/d2l-zh/releases/tag/v0.7),
  and active developments in Gluon-en (https://github.com/d2l-ai/d2l-en),
  GluonFace (https://github.com/THUFutureLab/gluon-face) and DeepInsight
  (https://github.com/deepinsight/insightface).

How has the project developed since the last report?
  1) Released v1.3.1: 
  https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/releases/tag/1.3.1
  2) Completed vote for 1.4.0 release on dev@: 
  https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/releases/tag/1.4.0; 
   
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/236554041a412415df783d652830272beb21d36
660e8e0d5e0237f58@%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E
   Started vote on general@ on December 28, 2018: 
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a645bdb72bc55e05ec57f5b07a95c2579971f0a
32ed257f31199e218@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E 
3) Github statistics:
   * https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pulse/monthly - December 2, 
   2018 – January 2, 2019
     Excluding merges, 56 authors have pushed 114 commits to master and 126 
     commits to all branches. 
     On master, 359 files have changed and there have been 15,054 additions 
     and 3,531 deletions.
     65 issues got closed and 61 new issues created during the reporting 
     period.
   * https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pulse/monthly - November 2, 
     2018 - December 1, 2018
     Excluding merges, 67 authors have pushed 202 commits to master and 283 
     commits to all branches. 
     On master, 521 files have changed and there have been 21,810 additions 
     and 8,161 deletions.
     145 issues got closed and 98 new issue created during the reporting 
     period.
   * https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pulse/monthly - October 2, 
     2018 - November 1, 2018
     Excluding merges, 55 authors have pushed 125 commits to master and 135 
     commits to all branches. 
     On master, 617 files have changed and there have been 37,194 additions 
     and 7,424 deletions.
     119 issues got closed and 131 new issue created during the reporting 
     period.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [X ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-11-29 MXNet 1.3.1

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
  New committer:
  Qin Lang (November 21, 2018; 
  
  https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/27a2943240180666ce9e9219a049322966c851a
259d908e241103d7a@%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E)
  Thomas Delteil (November 20, 2018; 
  
  https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/d4ad366e81852547a732b4c31b7f3f020132e20
ba9c4cae7fd908f31@%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E)
  Kellen Sunderland (November 21, 2018; 
  
  https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/4f18f85e627c7c0db5ad9ea46b1c277ef304f9d
445be6b7e1e3ae3af@%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E)
  Tao Lv (Novmember 21, 2018; 
  
  https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/3b14dadf32c84b0249758f25db52602527311ec
0efc7bf94c93aaeee@%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E)
  Rahul Huilgol (December 4, 2018: 
  
  https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/1b30b460d4bbc2ddb7a0bc7113e8d064ba75241
4d7d97a6e54d442f3@%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E)
  Aaron Markham (December 4, 2018; 
  
  https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/f807eaa4e6477c6133e4949b7b38428adff5726
8620343d4c7c1e7ce@%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E)
  Da Zhang (December 17, 2018; 
  
  https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ffaa9425c9f5da77176e0ad92d136e70179720e
4f485456daf6d7231@%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E)

  No new PPMC members got elected in the reporting period.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  Mentors continue providing guidance and support.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](mxnet) Sebastian Schelter
     Comments:
  [ ](mxnet) Henri Yandell
     Comments:
  [X](mxnet) Markus Weimer
     Comments:
  [X](mxnet) Jim Jagielski
     Comments:
  [X](mxnet) Michael Wall
     Comments: Discussion on unapproved releases started, but needs 
     resolution.  Good effort on community building.
  [ ](mxnet) Bob Paulin
     Comments:
  [X](mxnet) Jason Dai
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:
  Justin Mclean: The issue with unapproved releases and issues around that 
  should have been mentioned in this report.

--------------------
NetBeans

NetBeans is a development environment, tooling platform and application 
framework.

NetBeans has been incubating since 2016-10-01.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Completion of Maturity Model Assessment: 
  
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+Maturity+Model+A
ssessment+for+NetBeans 
  2. Understanding other steps that need to be taken, e.g., put together a 
  list of PMC members
  3. Vote to graduate.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  - Received Duke's Choice Award 2018 at Oracle Code One conference: 
  https://blogs.apache.org/netbeans/entry/duke-s-choice-award-2018
  - Several community members presented about NetBeans at Oracle Code One 
  2018: 
  https://blogs.apache.org/netbeans/entry/apache-netbeans-at-oracle-code
  - Currently 651 (622 in last report) on Apache NetBeans users mailing 
  list and 455 (438 in last report) on Apache NetBeans dev mailing list.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  - 3rd donation, focused on tutorials and images, and related ancillary 
  items, has been completed.
  - netbeans.org redirects as far as possible to netbeans.apache.org, once 
  documentation is moved and rehoused, it can redirect completely to 
  netbeans.apache.org.
  - Apache NetBeans (incubating) 10.0 final has been released, with many 
  thanks to Laszlo Kishalmi, our fearless release manager.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ X ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-12-27 Apache NetBeans (incubating) 10.0 final release

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  * PPMC member Arunava Sinha elected on October 20, 2018

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

   Yes, very helpful and supportive.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](netbeans) Ate Douma
     Comments:
  [X](netbeans) Bertrand Delacretaz
     Comments: Looking forward to graduation!
  [X](netbeans) Daniel Gruno
     Comments:
  [X](netbeans) Mark Struberg
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

Humbedooh: Seeing good progress in the podling moving towards graduation. 
There are still issues to address, and ways to teach, but the project 
community seem very willing to learn and adapt.

--------------------
Pinot

Pinot is a distributed columnar storage engine that can ingest data in real-
time and serve analytical queries at low latency. 

Pinot has been incubating since 2018-10-17.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Improving documentation
  2. Cutting a release
  3. Building community contribution

 
Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  We have had interest from Uber in contributing towards proposals 
  discussed in Issues 3592 and 3539

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Source repo migrated to Apache, mailing lists and JIRA created. Website 
  created.
  We have added a minimal wiki page. We have added documentation on many 
  user-facing features. 

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  N/A

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  Not sure, but perhaps at the time we incubated. We have not made any changes
  to PPMC members after incubation. @kishoreg may have more information

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.
  
  Yes

Signed-off-by:

  [X](pinot) Kishore Gopalakrishna
     Comments:
  [X](pinot) Jim Jagielski
     Comments:
  [ ](pinot) Roman Shaposhnik
     Comments:
  [X](pinot) Olivier Lamy
     Comments:
  [X](pinot) Felix Cheung
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
PLC4X

PLC4X is a set of libraries for communicating with industrial programmable
logic controllers (PLCs) using a variety of protocols but with a shared API.

PLC4X has been incubating since 2017-12-18.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Building the community: The PPMC and committer group has a large 
  percentage of codecentric employees, we have been recruiting people from 
  other companies, but will have to continue these efforts for establishing 
  a healthy Apache community.
  2. With PLC4X several people on the team are not very familiar with the 
  Apache Way. We have started and will continue our efforts on this 
  onboarding.
  3. Make others in the PPMC able to perform releases.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  Not at the moment.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  We have managed to get some more people to contribute. While we are still 
  waiting for the initial contribution (OPC-UA Server) of one person to be 
  submitted, we were just able to successfully integrate another first code 
  contribution into our build which seeds the C++ API module (Thanks to 
  Markus Sommer for this).

  Github notes the number of contributors has gone up to 12 … so I think 
  we’re looking good as we are continuously getting more people on board, 
  hopefully soon also into committership and PPMC involvement.

  In the last quarter of 2018 Christofer Dutz had several public talks on 
  PLC4X:

  * 09.10.2018: “Between the towers” Meetup, Frankfurt
  * 24.10.2018: “Oss Summit Europe” Conference, Edinburgh
  * 13.11.2018: “3. Fachkonferenz - Big data in der Industire“ Conference, 
  Berlin
  * 15.11.2018: „RheinJUG“ Meetup, Düsseldorf
  * 06.12.2018: „IoTHessen“ Meetup, Frankfurt

  From 22.11.2018-26.11.2018 we had our second official community event: 
  This  time we meet at the codecentric finca on Mallorca for 4 days of
  hacking, coding, discussions and community building.

  All in all 3 PPMC members participated and one new person.

  On 03.12.2018 we successfully released: Version 0.2.0 (RC1) and we’re 
  currently working on enabling new release-managers for the next release.

  Our mailing list subscriptions went up another 4 to currently 42 
  subscribers.

  Our Twitter followers increased by 57 (almost doubled) to 116 followers 
  (Mainly as a direct result of @Java tweeting about us).

  On GitHub we now have 42 “Stars” (increase of 18) and 20 “Forks” 
  (increase of 6)

  We have successfully performed two major POCs with customers from the 
  industry (Companies in the pharmaceutical and automotive sectors) and the 
  results where overwhelming.

  We are expecting to see more adoption in 2019. Also are we trying to 
  convince companies to allow us to officially talk about what we did in 
  order to spread the word.

  Also have we had first paid contracts where the companies were paying 
  members of the project to implement some general purpose features that 
  were missing as well as bug fixing and allowing those results to become
  part of the open-source project (Which I think is pretty surprising as
  the concept of Open-Source is quite new to these companies)

  How would you assess the podling's maturity?

  We have a mix of new participants and experienced Apache people involved.

  So far, the new participants have shown great willingness and success in 
  adopting the Apache Way.
  However, we still need to continue: the on-boarding increasing the 
  diversity of the team.
  Also we are currently trying to enable other team members to take over 
  vital roles (Like being a release manager) so we no longer have areas 
  with personal singularities.

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-12-03

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](plc4x) Greg Trasuk
     Comments:
  [X](plc4x) Justin Mclean
     Comments:
  [X](plc4x) Stefan Bodewig
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Rya

Rya (pronounced "ree-uh" /rēə/) is a cloud-based RDF triple store that
supports SPARQL queries. Rya is a scalable RDF data management system built 
on top of Accumulo. Rya uses novel storage methods, indexing schemes, and query
processing techniques that scale to billions of triples across multiple 
nodes.
Rya provides fast and easy access to the data through SPARQL, a conventional
query mechanism for RDF data.

Rya has been incubating since 2015-09-18.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  Currently working through the graduation procedure steps. Expecting to be 
  ready for a vote later in January. 

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

  No

How has the community developed since the last report?

  * The community is moving towards graduation: name search completed, 
  project status file updated, the Apache Project maturity model evaluation 
  almost done, working on more comprehensive contributor guidelines
  * A CCLA from Semantic Web Company has been submitted
  * We have several new users and contributors (some from Semantic Web 
  Company, some independent) who interacted with the community 

How has the project developed since the last report?

  * new upgraded SPARQL endpoint under review 
  
How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [x] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

   2018-03-04

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  * PPMC member Caleb Meier elected on Jan 3rd, 2017

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

  Our two mentors are helpful and responsive.

Signed-off-by:

  [x](rya) Josh Elser
     Comments:
  [x](rya) Billie Rinaldi
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
SensSoft

Apache SensSoft has been incubating since 2016-07-13.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Extending release process to other parts of the SensSoft software 
  stack.
  2. Grow the Apache SensSoft (Incubating) Committer/Community Base.
  3. Complete the issues highlighted at the SensSoft Roadmap [1]

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

  Following a successful VOTE in favor of changing the Podling name [2], 
  the community submitted 12 nominations for new Podling names [2]. The names 
  are collected for easy reference on our confluence space [3].  The community 
  downselected the names [2] JIRA tickets have been written to track 
  progress on research on PODLINGNAMESEARCH board [4].  

How has the community developed since the last report?

  The community has been:
  - discussing reaching out to other open source projects to identify other 
  potential communities (analytical technologies) to drive developments, as 
  well as increase interest in the Podling.
  - discussing research applications with university research labs in 
  machine learning and social computing.
  - the community has onboarded 2 new Mentors—Dave Meikle and Atri Sharma
  - updating documentation on wiki and READMEs to improve community growth

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Project maturity roadmaps (Wiki) and version release plans (JIRA) 
continue 
  to be maintained.
  JIRA boards continue to be maintained

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  2018-03-14

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  Arthi Vezhavendan was added to Committer base on 2017-01-24
  Dave Meikle was added to PPMC on 2018-11-24
  Atri Sharma was added to PPMC on 2018-11-24

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks?

  Chris Mattmann and Paul Ramirez have been removed as mentors in the last 
  month. 

  Lewis McGibbney has been extremely helpful and has actively participated 
  in our PODLINGNAMESEARCH. 

  New mentors are awaiting a determination of our PODLINGNAMESEARCH and 
  will assist in growing the community.

Signed-off-by:

  [ ](senssoft) Lewis John McGibbney 
      Comments:
  [X](senssoft) Dave Meikle
      Comments:
  [ ](senssoft) Atri Sharma
      Comments:

  [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SENSSOFT/Roadmaps 
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SENSSOFT/Roadmaps>
  [2] 
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/9a971fee3b17ac401cf76b16e5dc026c10a2995
91ee93329117a3cec@%3Cdev.senssoft.apache.org%3E 
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/9a971fee3b17ac401cf76b16e5dc026c10a299
591ee93329117a3cec@%3Cdev.senssoft.apache.org%3E>
  [3] 
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SENSSOFT/PODLINGNAMESEARCH 
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SENSSOFT/PODLINGNAMESEARCH>
  [4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SENSSOFT-312 
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SENSSOFT-312>

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
ShardingSphere

Sharding-Sphere is an ecosystem of transparent distributed database
middleware, focusing on data sharding, distributed transaction and database
orchestration.

ShardingSphere has been incubating since 2018-11-10.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:

  1. Move codebase to Apache after last not apache release version for 3.x.
  2. Upload website.
  3. First ASF release.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?

  None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  1. Invite new mentor: Von Gosling(vongosling.apache.org)
  2. Meetup for ShardingSphere with mentors and PPMC at 12.21

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Released 3.1.0.M1, contributors are from different companies. In 3.1.0.M1 
  release milestones, there are 148 issues and pull requests solved. This 
is 
  a legacy release not for Apache.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [X] Initial setup
  [X] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

  3.1.0-M1  20 Dec 2018

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
  
  None.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

Signed-off-by:

  [x](shardingsphere) Craig L Russell
     Comments:
  [ ](shardingsphere) Benjamin Hindman
     Comments:
  [X](shardingsphere) Willem Ning Jiang
     Comments:
  [X](shardingsphere) Von Gosling
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

--------------------
Weex

Weex is a framework for building Mobile cross-platform high performance UI.

Weex has been incubating since 2016-11-30.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
  1. A clear roadmap and corresponding project management, which should all 
  be public and transparent to the community
  2. Committers & PPMC members should be more activate and response in time 
  when dealing with Email, Github Issue/Pull request
  3. More activate committers & PPMC members outside Alibaba Group.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
aware of?
  The development of Weex is based on the Weex Github Repo, but none of the 
  PPMC members have maintainer or administration privilege on the 
  repo (https://github.com/apache/incubator-weex), which makes it time 
  costing or impossible to add Webhook、PR Review Rules, etc. as INFRA member
  might response to a JIRA issue several days or weeks later.

How has the community developed since the last report?
  New Committer: Qianyuan Wang(wqyfavor) and Douma Fang
  75 Github issues solved/closed since last report, 56 issues still open.

How has the project developed since the last report?
  Released a new version (v0.20.0)
  131 PRs since last report

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.
  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other

Date of last release:
  2018-12-10 (v0.20.0)

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
  2018-12-10

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.
  Yes, they are helpful, maybe one more mentor would be better.

Signed-off-by:

  [X](weex) Willem Ning Jiang
     Comments:
  [X](weex) Myrle Krantz
     Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

  • No labels