Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

FINAL FINAL FINAL - DO NOT EDIT

NOTE that the content for this month report is in markdown format- please do not remove any formatting characters when adding your reports.

It also best to:

  • Do not change existing formatting. Especially do not change the formatting of the sign-off area.
  • Keep all lines under 76 characters long.

  • All content under the ### headings should be indented by two spaces. Do not use tabs.

  • Please don't change the text in the headings or add new ones.
  • Include one space after a bullet point or full stop on a numbered list.
  • Use [X] (X and no spaces) to sign off reports.
  • Do not include long URLs and use the apache URL shortener https://s.apache.org.
  • Please note that some lines have two spaces at the end. Do not remove these spaces.

Please make sure you use the current report and don't copy an old one, the headings do change from time to time.

A script will be run on this report before it is submitted to the board. If your lines are too long it may insert line breaks in unexpected places.

Reflow
fold -w 76 -s $1 | cat -s


Timeline

Wed June 02Podling reports due by end of day
Sun June 06Shepherd reviews due by end of day
Sun June 06Summary due by end of day
Tue June 08Mentor signoff due by end of day
Wed June 09

Report submitted to Board

Wed June 16Board meeting


Shepherd Assignments

Dave FisherNemo
Dave FisherShenYu
Drew FarrisCrail
Drew FarrisWayang
Justin McleanAGE
P. Taylor GoetzPinot
P. Taylor GoetzStreamPipes
P. Taylor GoetzBrpc
Timothy ChenHivemall
Timothy ChenLivy
Timothy ChenSpot

The Apache Incubator is the entry path into the ASF for projects and codebases wishing to become part of the Foundation's efforts.

There are presently 36 podlings incubating. In May, podlings executed 8 distinct releases. We added three new IPMC members, added one new podling ShenYu, and one podling Weex retired. There were no IP clearances in May. There are two new podlings under active discussion, and no podlings graduated last month. This month there were no misisng reports which is nice to see. Livy is discussing retirement.

Podlings cleaned up a few more podling release areas.

A podling needed to be reminded that 3 +1 PMC votes are required, and it's a good idea to wait 72 hours before calling a release vote.

There was some discussion on making Helm releases and how that can work and comply with ASF policies.

TubeMQ continued working on renaming itself to InLong.

The Incubator track for ApacheCon has been organised with two days of talks on various subject split into two groups on the Incubator (releases and mentoring) and Incubating projects.

As usual, most discussions on the mailing list were around releases, new project proposals, new mentors, and we also found out that Minecraft wasn't working.

Community

New IPMC members:

  • Jeff Zhang
  • Nathan Hartman
  • Yu Li

People who left the IPMC:

  • None

New Podlings

  • ShenYu

Retired Podling

  • Weex

Podlings that failed to report, expected next month

  • None

Graduations

  • list podling here

The board has motions for the following:

  • Your podling here?

Releases

The following releases entered distribution during the month of May:

  • Age 0.4.0
  • Doris 0.14.0
  • Heron 0.20.0
  • Liminal 0.0.2
  • NLPCraft Java Client 0.7.5
  • NLPCraft 0.7.5
  • NuttX 10.1.0
  • Sedona 1.0.1

IP Clearance

  • None
  • Clarification on binary files in source releases, although it seems more of an issue to TLPs than podlings.

Infrastructure

  • N/A

Miscellaneous

  • N/A

Table of Contents

AGE
brpc
Crail
Hivemall
Hop
Livy
Marvin-AI
Nemo
Pinot
ShenYu
Spot
StreamPipes
Wayang


AGE

AGE is a multi-model database that enables graph and relational models built on PostgreSQL.

AGE has been incubating since 2020-04-29.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. New Committers
  2. More Releases
  3. Jira Scams Removal

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

We have a new committer and a potential new committer. There are more contributions and discussions in the Github and mailing list.

How has the project developed since the last report?

We also have the second Apache AGE release 0.4.0

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2021-05-03

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

2021-03-19

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Are things falling through the cracks? If so, please list any open issues that need to be addressed.

Yes, very helpful and responsive.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Are 3rd parties respecting and correctly using the podlings name and brand? If not what actions has the PPMC taken to correct this? Has the VP, Brand approved the project name?

No.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (age) Kevin Ratnasekera
    Comments:
  •  (age) Von Gosling
    Comments:
  •  (age) Raphael Bircher
    Comments:
  •  (age) Felix Cheung
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

Justin Mclean: Why removing spam is important it's not really related to graduation.


brpc

brpc is an industrial-grade RPC framework for building reliable and high- performance services.

brpc has been incubating since 2018-11-13.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. More apache release, not WIP release
  2. Find more users and more usage
  3. Grow developers community

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

none

How has the community developed since the last report?

we got a new mentor PanJuan, she will help to check our release and community building. and we have one proposal to be selected on ApacheCon Asia, it is about brpc's usage in bytedance's graphdb. it will be given by our new committer- lorinLee.

How has the project developed since the last report?

we have fixed some bugs that prevent us to make an apache release, most are license related. we plan to release 1.0 next month.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2020-06-15

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

2021-03-09

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Yes, our mentors have been supportive and responsive.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

we will check it after our 1.0 release.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (brpc) Kevin A. McGrail
    Comments:
  •  (brpc) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Comments:
  •  (brpc) Von Gosling
    Comments:
  •  (brpc) Pan Juan
    Comments: Look forward to our next release.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Crail

Crail is a storage platform for sharing performance critical data in distributed data processing jobs at very high speed.

Crail has been incubating since 2017-11-01.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Grow developers community
  2. Establish convincing Crail use cases
  3. More steady release cycles

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

none

How has the community developed since the last report?

Elastic resource provisioning further evolved by contributions from Malte Brodmann. A pending vote on private@crail aims ad adding Malte as contributor.

How has the project developed since the last report?

Current focus is on adding further resource elasticity to establish Crail as a high performance ephemeral data store for cloud services. We plan for a next release if elasticity support has stabilized.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2020-01-14

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

December 4th, 2018. Expecting successful vote on new committer this week.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Yes, our mentors have been supportive and responsive.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

There are no known cases of a 3rd party podling name/brand incorrect use. Podling name search has been completed - see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-138

Signed-off-by:

  •  (crail) Julian Hyde
    Comments: Activity is slow. Key contributors are still present. There is some development activity.
  •  (crail) Luciano Resende
    Comments:
  •  (crail) Felix Cheung
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

Drew Farris (shepherd): One mentor active on the mailing lists. Making progress toward growing the community and producing a new release.


Hivemall

Hivemall is a library for machine learning implemented as Hive UDFs/UDAFs/UDTFs.

Hivemall has been incubating since 2016-09-13.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Community growth (committers and users)
  2. One or more Apache Releases as an Incubator project
  3. Documentation improvements

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

PPMCs are considering exit approaches including retiring.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  • User created JIRA tickets (HIVEMALL-306, HIVEMALL-312, HIVEMALL-313, HIVEMALL-314 etc)
  • Got user inquiries for Korean tokenizer (HIVEMALL-307)

How has the project developed since the last report?

Relatively active than the last reports for

  • Spark support improvements (HIVEMALL-313, HIVEMALL-314)
  • Supported Korean tokenizer (HIVEMALL-307)
  • Lucene 8 support and Java 8 migration (HIVEMALL-303, HIVEMAL-304)

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2019-12-19

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Elected Jerome Banks as a committer on April 2, 2018.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Yes (Koji is active)

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Yes, we keep tracking podling's brand / trademarks.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (hivemall) Daniel Dai
    Comments:
  •  (hivemall) Koji Sekiguchi
    Comments: The community is active. Looking forward to the next release.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

Justin Mclean: I don't see any discussion on exit approaches on your mailing list. Where is this conversation taking place?


Hop

Hop is short for the Hop Orchestration Platform. Written completely in Java it aims to provide a wide range of data orchestration tools, including a visual development environment, servers, metadata analysis, auditing services and so on. As a platform, Hop also wants to be a reusable library so that it can be easily reused by other software.

Hop has been incubating since 2020-09-24.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. growth in number of PMC members and committers

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

None

How has the community developed since the last report?

Hop has an active and growing community on social media, chat and a limited but increasing activity on the mailing lists. A growing number of organizations of all sizes are actively using Hop

How has the project developed since the last report?

Hop 0.70 was released in mid April, the Hop community is now working on 0.99 in preparation of a 1.0 release. Detailed updates are available in the monthly roundups:

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  first release is done
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2021-04-12

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

November 2020. Even though we have an active user community, we are aware of the fact that we need to grow the developer community. This has been discussed and is an action item that is being worked on.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Julian Hyde has stepped up as our de facto champion, who is always ready to provide feedback and constructive criticism.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Apache Hop (Incubating) has been used consistently, there are no violations that we know of. Name search for the Hop project name has been completed: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-191

Signed-off-by:

  •  (hop) Tom Barber
    Comments:
  •  (hop) Julian Hyde
    Comments: Hop are doing great. They are very close to graduating. There's a nice vibe to the 'monthly roundups' (see above) and Twitter posts.
  •  (hop) Maximilian Michels
    Comments:
  •  (hop) Francois Papon
    Comments: The project is doing very well and is closed to the graduation. As discuss in the mailing list, the project need to grow the developer community.
  •  (hop) Kevin Ratnasekera
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Livy

Livy is web service that exposes a REST interface for managing long running Apache Spark contexts in your cluster. With Livy, new applications can be built on top of Apache Spark that require fine grained interaction with many Spark contexts.

Livy has been incubating since 2017-06-05.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Decision to graduate or retire

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

The project is stable and being used for its desired purpose by a many organizations and users. Without any pressing need for new features there is no active development happening. If the project retires then its unclear how users would be able to get security fixes like the one that got release in Feb 21. Seeking the boards guidance on this situation.

How has the community developed since the last report?

Community is quiet with some user activity.

How has the project developed since the last report?

We have new users, but the dev community activity is pretty low.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

Feb 3 2021

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Are things falling through the cracks? If so, please list any open issues that need to be addressed.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Are 3rd parties respecting and correctly using the podlings name and brand? If not what actions has the PPMC taken to correct this? Has the VP, Brand approved the project name?

Signed-off-by:

  •  (livy) Bikas Saha
    Comments:
  •  (livy) Luciano Resende
    Comments:
  •  (livy) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Comments: I've been in touch with some potential new users/contributors.

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

Justin Mclean: I'm not sure why that question is directed at the board and I'm not sure they could answer it. IMO It would depend on if the project continues development or not outside of Apache and how that group of people handle security.


Marvin-AI

Marvin-AI is an open-source artificial intelligence (AI) platform that helps data scientists, prototype and productionalize complex solutions with a scalable, low-latency, language-agnostic, and standardized architecture while simplifies the process of exploration and modeling.

Marvin-AI has been incubating since 2018-08-21.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Increase activity from current contributors and community.
  2. Finish the new version of Toolbox.
  3. Release a new architecture.

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

No.

How has the community developed since the last report?

We had an online meeting to confirm inicial steps for the new architectural with most of members. Our "Marvin-lab" at the university keeps attracting new postgraduate students in the artificial intelligence field.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  1. Minor bug fix.
  2. Last adjustments on the new toolbox version.
  3. New Architecture confirmation meeting finished.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2019-07-18

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Wei Chen added as new PPMC member (2019-06-07)

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Yes.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Yes.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (marvin-ai) Luciano Resende
    Comments:
  •  (marvin-ai) William Colen
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Nemo

Nemo is a data processing system to flexibly control the runtime behaviors of a job to adapt to varying deployment characteristics.

Nemo has been incubating since 2018-02-04.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Address a few remaining items in the Apache Project Maturity model
  2. Grow the community

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  • Address the items in the Apache Project Maturity model
  • Hosting three GSoC students to contribute to Nemo

How has the project developed since the last report?

  • Continued development to support (wide-area) batch and stream processing
  • Work on a simulator to predict job completion time
  • Work on work stealing to improve straggler handling
  • Work on stream processing adaptation with reconfiguration and fidelity control

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2020-12-07

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

February 27, 2020

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Are things falling through the cracks? If so, please list any open issues that need to be addressed.

Our mentors have been helpful and responsive.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Are 3rd parties respecting and correctly using the podlings name and brand? If not what actions has the PPMC taken to correct this? Has the VP, Brand approved the project name?

The PPMC manages the podling's brand / trademarks.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (nemo) Hyunsik Choi
    Comments:
  •  (nemo) Byung-Gon Chun
    Comments:
  •  (nemo) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Comments:
  •  (nemo) Markus Weimer
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Pinot

Pinot is a distributed columnar storage engine that can ingest data in real- time and serve analytical queries at low latency.

Pinot has been incubating since 2018-10-17.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

None - After having a discussion on the mailing list with committers, PMCs, contributors and mentors, we have addressed all the issues. Updated the project page, maturity model, committer and PMC list on the roster.

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

None

How has the community developed since the last report?

We now have 1000+ members in the Apache Pinot Slack Community - all slack discussions are forwarded to the project mailing list. Around 10 new users/contributors are joining the slack channel every couple of weeks and actively participate in asking questions, discussing feature requests, issues etc. The community is very active in engaging on both slack and mailing list with very fast turnaround on discussions.

How has the project developed since the last report?

Released 0.7.1, 175 new commits merged to master branch in last 3 months (April 2021 to present), 56 issues closed in last 3 months (April 2021 to present), 64 new issues opened in last 3 months (April 2021 to present)

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation - Project is seeing a strong community growth of both users and contributors with increasing adoption of Pinot. Very healthy interaction in the community following the "Apache Way" of doing things. Have completed the self-assessment of Apache project maturity model https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/PINOT/Apache+Maturity+Model+Asse ssment+for+Pinot
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2021-04-14

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Siddharth Teotia was invited to PPMC on Feb 23rd 2021 after following the voting process and getting the votes from existing PPMCs.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Mentors have been very responsive and helpful.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Signed-off-by:

  •  (pinot) Kishore Gopalakrishna
    Comments:
  •  (pinot) Jim Jagielski
    Comments:
  •  (pinot) Olivier Lamy
    Comments:
  •  (pinot) Felix Cheung
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


ShenYu

ShenYu is a high performance Microservices API gateway in Java ecosystem, compatible with a variety of mainstream framework systems, supports hot plug. Users can write their own plugin meet the current requirement and future needs in a variety of scenarios, especially in large-scale scenes.

ShenYu has been incubating since 2021-05-03.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Code repositories migration to Incubator.
  2. Website transition to Incubator.
  3. Make an Apache Release

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  • 10+ new contributors participate in the community since entered the Incubator. There are currently 171 contributors and 24 committers.
  • There is regular traffic on the mailing list (~217 mailing list discussions/month).
  • Number of GitHub stars increased (before incubating: 3940, currently: 4689).
  • Held Bi-weekly online meetings between committers. Mainly discussed new features and community building.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  • Rename the project name from Soul to ShenYu.
  • Establish the official website for ShenYu.
  • Refactor PredicateJudge module using SPI.
  • Optimization of GRPC plugin.
  • Add JWT plugin.
  • Add Request plugin.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

No Release yet.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

May 2021

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Our mentors have been helpful and responsive.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

The PPMC manages the podling's brand / trademarks.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (shenyu) Willem Ning Jiang
    Comments: Setting up the project for Shenyu
  •  (shenyu) Jincheng Sun
    Comments:
  •  (shenyu) Duo Zhang
    Comments:
  •  (shenyu) Kevin Ratnasekera
    Comments:
  •  (shenyu) Atri Sharma
    Comments:
  •  (shenyu) Justin Mclean
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

Justin Mclean: If you have having meetings make sure you bring what was discussed back yo the mailing list. Also you might want to make the audience wider than just your committers..


Spot

Apache Spot is a platform for network telemetry built on an open data model and Apache Hadoop.

Spot has been incubating since 2016-09-23.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Revive community activity (Discussion in mailing lists, increase frequency of commits)
  2. Create a new roadmap and release plan that will improve adoption
  3. Make it easier to contribute to the project (e.g. documentation, framework).

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

There is confusing communication with the organization. We submitted our quarterly report last month. The final report from last month noted that our report was not accepted because it was not signed off. However, we read the minutes from the Board that said all submitted reports were accepted, so we assumed we didn't need to worry about a report for another quarter. Last night at midnight we were notified for the first time that our report was due the same day. With less than 24 hours notice, it seems unlikely we'll be able to get sign-off from our mentor.

How has the community developed since the last report?

We're continuing to solidify a short term and long term on a roadmap with the community that will allow more contributors to focus and work on different levels of the project (i.e. data modeling and schema design, use-cases, ingestion, ml, ui, dev ops, docs, etc). These discussions have been delayed this quarter due to COVID and getting schedules aligned relative to other workloads.

How has the project developed since the last report?

The master branch of Apache Spot was largely developed for commercial but freely available Hadoop software (i.e. Cloudera, Hortonworks) that now have been either End of Life’d (or will be in 2022) in favor of the newer Cloudera Data Platform (CDP), or have been put behind a paywall to get updates. The cloud provider landscape has also changed drastically in the last few years and it's time that we start looking at better support for Quickstart options in each major cloud providers so we can further develop the project for the community with wider platform support, and give committers better options for creating development environments to more efficiently contribute to the project.

The following topics are planned for the next set of discussions with the community to determine what we focus on for the next several quarters:

  • Add more native support on cloud infrastructure and software (i.e. AWS, Azure, GCP)
    • In the short-term we can focus on AWS EMR on standing up Spot and fixing any issues related to getting the software installed and working.
    • In the long term we will want to support several cloud providers and on-premise options depending on the interest of the community.
  • Add an infrastructure module to Spot to automate creating clusters in each providers we plan to support.
    • Initially we can focus on Cloudformation support with AWS EMR.
    • Our goal will be to generalize further in the long term with Terraform across each provider.
  • Investigate and explore alternative replacement for Spot UI (i.e. Apache Supersets)
    • In the short-term Apache Supersets may give us a basic authentication and visualization layer into the data landed and processed by Spot.
    • In the long-term we will need to develop a more comprehensive security and use-case roadmap for the UI and determine if it makes sense to develop something from scratch.

The next step will be to create Jira Epic’s and tasks for these items so we can start to distribute the work across the community.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2017-09-08

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

2019-09-02

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Are things falling through the cracks? If so, please list any open issues that need to be addressed.

Yes our mentors have been helpful. We will be engaging them more soon for guidance on on-boarding new committers, as well as a few other items related to the Whimsy and Clutch reports and also updating the Apache Spot Podling website as this is missing a number of updates.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Are 3rd parties respecting and correctly using the podlings name and brand? If not what actions has the PPMC taken to correct this? Has the VP, Brand approved the project name?

Yes.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (spot) Uma Maheswara Rao G
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

Justin Mclean: The board signed off the incubator report but it can still have reportsnot signed off by mentor. In your case it looks liked the sign off come in late after the Incubator report was submitted, so sorry for asking you to report again. Best to try and submit the report and have it signed off by the due date if possible. Reminders are sent to the incubator general list and you mentor(s) should be watching for those. I would suggest you ask for another mentor so that you are not dependant on just one person.


StreamPipes

StreamPipes is a self-service (Industrial) IoT toolbox to enable non- technical users to connect, analyze and explore (Industrial) IoT data streams.

StreamPipes has been incubating since 2019-11-11.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Grow the community
  2. Make more releases
  3. Complete Maturity assessment

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

There are no issues right now.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  • In general, there was a little less activity on the mailing list during the last reporting period, but a more diverse set of contributors has actively participated in discussions.
  • We had several pull requests from new contributors
  • We had several proposed projects and applicants for Google Summer of Code proposed by various PPMC members, but unfortunately, no projects were selected
  • 1 new PPMC member and 1 new committer elected (see below)
  • Number of Twitter followers has increased (last report: 171, currently:
  • Number of Github stars increased (last report: 205, currently: 234)

How has the project developed since the last report?

  • Release 0.68.0 is delayed and still in the pipeline, but will hopefully be finished this month
  • We put large effort into fixing several bugs that affected the stability of StreamPipes, e.g., auto restart of pipelines
  • Several UI improvements (pipeline preview, improvements to the live dashboard, and many more) will be part of the next release which are intended to attract more users
  • Some new community members have added new pipeline elements to StreamPipes
  • Another major improvement are refactored SQL-based data sinks to the extensions project

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2020-10-28

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Since last report:

  • New PPMC member (Tim Bossenmaier, 2021-03-30)
  • New Committer (Mohanadarshan Vivekanandalingam, 2021-05-28)

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Are things falling through the cracks? If so, please list any open issues that need to be addressed.

Yes, our mentors are helpful and responsive.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Are 3rd parties respecting and correctly using the podlings name and brand? If not what actions has the PPMC taken to correct this? Has the VP, Brand approved the project name?

We are actively managing the brand and did not discover any issues related to incorrect brand use. Next step related to brand management is to incorporate the new logo into the website and application.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (streampipes) Christofer Dutz
    Comments:
  •  (streampipes) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Comments:
  •  (streampipes) Julian Feinauer
    Comments:
  •  (streampipes) Justin Mclean
    Comments:
  •  (streampipes) Kenneth Knowles
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Wayang

Wayang is a cross-platform data processing system that aims at decoupling the business logic of data analytics applications from concrete data processing platforms, such as Apache Flink or Apache Spark. Hence, it tames the complexity that arises from the "Cambrian explosion" of novel data processing platforms that we currently witness.

Wayang has been incubating since 2020-12-16.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Educate the new PPMCs to be able to do Apache releases
  2. Do our first Apache release
  3. Grow the community

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

Until the moment of this report it was created and didn't have any issue, because all the important issues got solved.

How has the community developed since the last report?

The community members are in the applying process to present in a few conferences to show Apache Wayang to the Processing Platform Community and other communities that could be interested in the project.

Also, different members of the community had meetings with possible contributors, however, nothing is concrete until the writing point of the report.

Additional to that the community is searching for more developers that can be part of it.

How has the project developed since the last report?

The main focus is the first release. The team is focusing on cleaning the code, refactoring some parts and preparing the documentation. However, it is taking more time than the estimated one, but the community members are pushing to have it done as soon as possible.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

No Release yet.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

2021-03-05 : Committer

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Are things falling through the cracks? If so, please list any open issues that need to be addressed.

Yes, the mentors and champions are very responsive and helpful

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Are 3rd parties respecting and correctly using the podlings name and brand? If not what actions has the PPMC taken to correct this? Has the VP, Brand approved the project name?

No answer.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (wayang) Christofer Dutz
    Comments:
  •  (wayang) Lars George
    Comments:
  •  (wayang) Bernd Fondermann
    Comments:
  •  (wayang) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

Drew Farris (shepherd): Two mentors active on the mailing lists, working towards first release.



  • No labels