Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

FINAL DO NOT EDIT

NOTE that the content for this month report is in markdown format- please do not remove any formatting characters when adding your reports.

It also best to:

  • Do not change existing formatting. Especially do not change the formatting of the sign-off area.
  • Keep all lines under 76 characters long.

  • All content under the ### headings should be indented by two spaces. Do not use tabs.

  • Please don't change the text in the headings or add new ones.
  • Include one space after a bullet point or full stop on a numbered list.
  • Use [X] (X and no spaces) to sign off reports.
  • Do not include long URLs and use the apache URL shortener https://s.apache.org.
  • Please note that some lines have two spaces at the end. Do not remove these spaces.

Please make sure you use the current report and don't copy an old one, the headings do change from time to time.

A script will be run on this report before it is submitted to the board. If your lines are too long it may insert line breaks in unexpected places.

Reflow
fold -w 76 -s $1 | cat -s


Timeline

Wed September 02

Podling reports due by end of day

Sun September 06

Shepherd reviews due by end of day

Sun September 06

Summary due by end of day

Tue September 08

Mentor signoff due by end of day

Wed September 09

Report submitted to Board

Wed September 16

Board meeting


Shepherd Assignments

Dave FisherHivemall
Dave FisherNemo
Drew FarrisAnnotator
Drew FarrisCrail
Justin McleanSedona
P. TaylorAGE
P. TaylorPegasus
P. TaylorWarble
Timothy ChenBlueMarlin
Timothy ChenSAMOA
Timothy ChenSpot

Daffodil

IoTDB

Liminal

Livy

Marvin-AI

StreamPipes

Superset

Weex

brpc

Incubator PMC report for September 2020

The Apache Incubator is the entry path into the ASF for projects and codebases wishing to become part of the Foundation's efforts. There are presently 46 podlings incubating. In August, podlings executed 8 distinct releases. We added one IPMC members and none retired. There were 2 IP clearances in August. A couple of new podlings are still being discussed and proposals prepared, one in particular Hop has generated interest. No projects graduated last month.

This month we were missing reports from BlueMarlin, Liminal, S2Graph, SDAP, Warble and Weex. All of these podlings failed to report last month and it concerning that two of them are new podlings. Again all will be asked to report next month. If they fail to report again, the IPMC will need to take further action. This is the fourth time that Warble has failed to report, and it will be recommended to the podling that it retires. Again we've also seen more podlings needing to ask mentors and IPMC members to vote on releases. This may be a result of the current pandemic situation or a lack of mentor engagement.

MXNet progress on resolving issues seems to have been stalled. Conversation with NVIDIA about changing the licensing terms also seem to have stalled. An MXNet release was found to contain code that had not passed IP clearance and other branding, trademarks and distribution issues have been uncovered. At this point, I think the IPMC will need to discuss if the project should continue to be in the incubator and if it can graduate in its current state. Discussions on ECharts graduation uncovered several trademark, branding and domain issues which are being dealt with by the project. Graduation of TVM also run into several similar issues, most of which have been resolved. However, it was determined that the project has have not made enough releases to be ready for graduation as it had only made 2 releases by a single project manager.

No progress on the policy changes to distributing releases on various platforms has been made. This initiative is currently stalled, and without board intervention or ASF policy change, it may not progress further. The incubator has organised a track for the upcoming Apache@home conference. Most discussions on the mailing list were around releases, graduations and new proposals.

Spot has sorted out its subscription/roster issues.

Community

New IPMC members:

  • Lee Moon Soo

People who left the IPMC:

  • None

New Podlings

  • None

Podlings that failed to report, expected next month

  • BlueMarlin
  • Liminal
  • S2Graph
  • SDAP
  • Warble
  • Weex

Graduations

  • None

The board has motions for the following:

  • IoTDB?

Releases

The following releases entered distribution during the month of August:

  • DolphinScheduler maven plugin 1.0.0
  • ECharts 4.9.0
  • IoTDB 0.10.1
  • MXNet 1.7.0
  • Superset 0.37.0
  • Toree 0.4.0
  • Tubemq 0.5.0
  • YuniKorn 0.9.0

IP Clearance

  • MXNet MShadow
  • Dubbo Getty
  • MXNet outstanding legal issues

Infrastructure

  • Changes to distribution policy

Miscellaneous

  • N/A

Table of Contents

AGE
brpc
Crail
Daffodil
Hivemall
IoTDB
Marvin-AI
Nemo
NLPCraft
Pegasus
SAMOA
Sedona
Spot
StreamPipes
Superset


AGE

AGE is a multi-model database that enables graph and relational models built on PostgreSQL.

AGE has been incubating since 2020-04-29.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Complete the Apache AGE Website development and infrastructure set
  2. First Apache based release
  3. Build Healthy community around project.

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

Current focus is to complete website development, it's infrastructure deployment and move working on our first Apache based release.

How has the project developed since the last report?

Last month we migrated our code repository to Apache. We are now carrying out our usual development work now on top of Apache Repository. Apart from this we made significant progress on the website deployment and planning to complete the website infrastructure deployment very soon.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

We are currently working on our first Apache release.

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

None.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Yes, they have been helpful and responsive.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

PPMC is not managing the podling's brand / trademarks yet.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (age) Kevin Ratnasekera
    Comments:
  •  (age) Von Gosling
    Comments:
  •  (age) Raphael Bircher
    Comments:
  •  (age) Felix Cheung
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


brpc

brpc is an industrial-grade RPC framework for building reliable and high- performance services.

brpc has been incubating since 2018-11-13.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

1.release Apache standard releases regularly 2.attract more contributors and committers 3.clean branding issue

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

No big issues.

How has the community developed since the last report?

We had one online meeting on Aug to talk about the task lists of near future. It includes several tasks.

  1. Let new PPMC member to involve into release related things
  2. Add “good first issue” to several GitHub issues for beginner
  3. Plan to have monthly online meeting

And we found that there are several engineers from tencent were using brpc too. We have invited them to join the dev@ mail list.

How has the project developed since the last report?

Build 0.9.8-rc01 is released, this time our new PPMC member helei made the build. we are planning for our next release as 1.0.0 before the end of this year.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2020-08-05 vote passed for 0.9.8-rc01

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

2019-12-24

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Are things falling through the cracks? If so, please list any open issues that need to be addressed.

Von suggest that we need to fix compliance issue and make a standard apache release next time. And we are planning that we will fix these issues on our next build which will become 1.0.0.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Are 3rd parties respecting and correctly using the podlings name and brand? If not what actions has the PPMC taken to correct this? Has the VP, Brand approved the project name? Not ready for the branding issue, will check it next time.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (brpc) Kevin A. McGrail
    Comments: Any chance we can get more committers?
  •  (brpc) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Comments:
  •  (brpc) Von Gosling
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Crail

Crail is a storage platform for sharing performance critical data in distributed data processing jobs at very high speed.

Crail has been incubating since 2017-11-01.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Grow developers community
  2. Establish convincing Crail use cases
  3. More steady release cycle

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

How has the community developed since the last report?

A developer recently joined the community, volunteering for the implementation of the elastic scaling of the data store.

How has the project developed since the last report?

The project failed to resume from a period of inactivity which started this spring. With implementing elastic scaling, we hope to see increasing activity. Elastic scaling is a needed pre-requisite to use Apache Crail as an efficient ephemeral data store for serverless frameworks.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2020-01-14

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

December 4th, 2018

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Yes, our mentors have been supportive and responsive.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

There are no known cases of a 3rd party podling name/brand incorrect use.

Podling name search has been completed - see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-138

Signed-off-by:

  •  (crail) Julian Hyde
    Comments:
  •  (crail) Luciano Resende
    Comments: It has been a while since new PPMC members were added, please keep an open mind for new contributors.
  •  (crail) Felix Cheung
    Comments: community has been quiet, glad to see a plan that could generate some interests

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Daffodil

Apache Daffodil is an implementation of the Data Format Description Language (DFDL) used to convert between fixed format data and XML/JSON.

Daffodil has been incubating since 2017-08-27.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Increase community growth and participation beyond Owl (main priority)
  2. Work with other Apache projects where Daffodil could provide extra functionality
  3. Continue frequent release schedule

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

  • None

How has the community developed since the last report?

  • Pull requests merged from four first-time contributors (three non-Owl)
  • Continued involvement in mailing lists
    • dev: 38 postings, 32 subscribers (5 new)
    • users: 58 postings, 43 subscribers (2 new)
  • Owl is actively encouraging other companies with known Daffodil interests to make public contributions and increase involvement
  • Smooks (https://www.smooks.org) 2.0.0-M1 has been released with Daffodil integration
  • Apache NiFi integration has been improved by Nteligen
  • Mike Beckerle will give a presentation on Daffodil at ApacheCon @Home 2020

How has the project developed since the last report?

  • Released Daffodil 2.7.0
  • 22 commits merged from 8 different contributors
  • Changes primarily include bug fixes and code cleanup
  • 38 issues created, 49 issues resolved
  • Design proposals complete and development making progress for large streaming capabilities and memory requirement reduction--main focus for the next release

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2020-07-14

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  • 2020-06-15 - John Interrante (PPMC)
  • 2019-11-26 - Olabusayo Kilo (Committer)
  • 2019-06-20 - Brandon Sloane (PPMC)

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

  • Yes

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Signed-off-by:

  •  (daffodil) Dave Fisher
    Comments:
  •  (daffodil) Christofer Dutz
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Hivemall

Hivemall is a library for machine learning implemented as Hive UDFs/UDAFs/UDTFs.

Hivemall has been incubating since 2016-09-13.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Community growth (committers and users)
  2. One or more Apache Releases as an Incubator project

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

PPMCs are considering exit approaches including retiring.

How has the community developed since the last report?

No particular topic.

How has the project developed since the last report?

Several Hotfixes (HIVEMALL-295, HIVEMALL-296, HIVEMALL-297) and minor documentation update has been applied.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2019-12-19

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Elected Jerome Banks as a committer on April 2, 2018.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Yes.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Yes, we keep tracking podling's brand / trademarks.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (hivemall) Daniel Dai
    Comments:
  •  (hivemall) Koji Sekiguchi
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

Dave Fisher: Hivemall PPMC discussed becoming a subproject of Hive, but has never taken any action to discuss it with the Hive PMC.


IoTDB

IoTDB is a data store for managing large amounts of time series data such as timestamped data from IoT sensors in industrial applications.

IoTDB has been incubating since 2018-11-18.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. attract more contributors
  2. constantly update the stats in the maturity model assessment
  3. keep driving the graduation process according to the Apache graduation guideline

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

A vote for graduation and discussion on the Charter Resolution is under discussion.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  1. 2 new PPMC are elected(Haonan Hou, Dawei Liu)
  2. more new contributors appear in the mailing list.
  3. More people are getting involved in community voting, for example(v0.10.0 release vote: 17 votes, 7 votes from committers)
  4. Successfully held an online Meetup(2020-07-11)

How has the project developed since the last report?

  1. Two version(v0.10.0 and v0.10.1) are released.
  2. The project keeps active, there are 258 pr has merged and 148 pr into the main branch.
  3. The distributed version is in testing stage..
  4. Many new improvements and features have been addressed, for example(RestAPI performance optimization, implemented data level merge, support order by time , etc ...)

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2020-08-23

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

2020-07-13 for the last PPMC.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Yes, helpful and responsive.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Required Name Search is done. A google search didn’t show any major branding issues that the PPMC needs to deal with.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (iotdb) Justin Mclean
    Comments:
  •  (iotdb) Christofer Dutz
    Comments: I fully support the projects efforts to graduate. They've done a great job.
  •  (iotdb) Willem Ning Jiang
    Comments: It's good to see IoTDB is ready to graduate :)
  •  (iotdb) Kevin A. McGrail
    Comments: Looking forward to post-graduation!

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Marvin-AI

Marvin-AI is an open-source artificial intelligence (AI) platform that helps data scientists, prototype and productionalize complex solutions with a scalable, low-latency, language-agnostic, and standardized architecture while simplifies the process of exploration and modeling.

Marvin-AI has been incubating since 2018-08-21.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Increase activity from current contributors and community.
  2. Build new release.
  3. Bring more new committers.

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

No.

How has the community developed since the last report?

We are expanding at local universities with AI/ML related events to publish Marvin for all computer science students.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  1. Minor bug fix;
  2. Preliminary version of the new cli and integration with the daemon;
  3. Benchmark system for model testing in development;
  4. Preliminary version of Kubernetes deploy;
  5. Architectural discussions on dev mailing list.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2019-07-18

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

Wei Chen added as new PPMC member (2019-06-07)

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Yes.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Yes.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (marvin-ai) Luciano Resende
    Comments:
  •  (marvin-ai) William Colen
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Nemo

Nemo is a data processing system to flexibly control the runtime behaviors of a job to adapt to varying deployment characteristics.

Nemo has been incubating since 2018-02-04.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Grow the community (committers, contributors, users)
  2. Create releases

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  • Committers continuing to improve code quality
  • Dynamic task partitioning, cache spilling as part of GSoC

How has the project developed since the last report?

  • Implemented a simulator of job completion time estimation
  • Designed and implemented cache spilling
  • Designed dynamic task partitioning
  • Reviewed the Apache Maturity model

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2020-03-06

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

February 27, 2020

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Are things falling through the cracks? If so, please list any open issues that need to be addressed.

Our mentors have been helpful and responsive.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Are 3rd parties respecting and correctly using the podlings name and brand? If not what actions has the PPMC taken to correct this? Has the VP, Brand approved the project name?

The PPMC manages the podling's brand / trademarks.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (nemo) Hyunsik Choi
    Comments:
  •  (nemo) Byung-Gon Chun
    Comments:
  •  (nemo) Jean-Baptiste Onofre
    Comments:
  •  (nemo) Markus Weimer
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

Dave Fisher: Activity seems to be low since March. I'm not sure if this is a concern or normal for this project to be slow during the Northern Summer.


NLPCraft

A Java API for NLU applications

NLPCraft has been incubating since 2020-02-13.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

This list is unchaged from the previous report: 1.Stable release process for all sub-projects involved. 2.Community growth.

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

We have 1 new community member.

How has the project developed since the last report?

We are still in the midst of development of 0.7.0 release that should address all remaining licensing issues.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2020-07-19

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

2020-05-24

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Yes, no issues to report.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Yes, no issues to report.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (nlpcraft) Roman Shaposhnik
    Comments:
  •  (nlpcraft) Furkan Kamaci
    Comments:
  •  (nlpcraft) Evans Ye
    Comments:
  •  (nlpcraft) Paul King
    Comments:
  •  (nlpcraft) Konstantin I Boudnik
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Pegasus

Pegasus is a distributed key-value storage system which is designed to be simple, horizontally scalable, strongly consistent and high-performance.

Pegasus has been incubating since 2020-06-28.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. First release
  2. Attract more contributors and committers.

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

N/A

How has the community developed since the last report?

N/A

How has the project developed since the last report?

  • The Github repo of Pegasus has been migrated to https://github.com/apache/incubator-pegasus.
  • We are working towards the first community release v2.1.0, with many important features and improvements (bulk-load, write-latency-optimization).
  • The project keeps active, 33 PRs has been merged to the main branch (including xiaomi/rdsn).

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

None

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

None yet.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Are things falling through the cracks? If so, please list any open issues that need to be addressed.

Our mentors are very helpful and responsive.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Are 3rd parties respecting and correctly using the podlings name and brand? If not what actions has the PPMC taken to correct this? Has the VP, Brand approved the project name?

Yes.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (pegasus) Kevin A. McGrail
    Comments:
  •  (pegasus) Duo zhang
    Comments:
  •  (pegasus) Liang Chen
    Comments:
  •  (pegasus) Von Gosling
    Comments: Very close to the first formal release

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


SAMOA

SAMOA provides a collection of distributed streaming algorithms for the most common data mining and machine learning tasks such as classification, clustering, and regression, as well as programming abstractions to develop new algorithms that run on top of distributed stream processing engines (DSPEs). It features a pluggable architecture that allows it to run on several DSPEs such as Apache Storm, Apache S4, and Apache Samza.

SAMOA has been incubating since 2014-12-15.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Revitalize the project by resuming development
  2. Enlarge the user base and contributing community

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

None.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  • Mailing list activity:
  • @dev: 14 messages

How has the project developed since the last report?

We are working in an implementation of adaptive random forests.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2020-04-23

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

August 2019

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Yes, the mentors have been helpful and responsive.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Yes. There are no 3rd parties incorrectly using the podling‘s name and brand for now.

Signed-off-by:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Sedona

Sedona is a big geospatial data processing engine. It provides an easy to use APIs for spatial data scientists to manage, wrangle, and process geospatial data.

Sedona has been incubating since 2020-07-19.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. We are still working on the initial setup.

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

N/A

How has the community developed since the last report?

The community has been active since the last report. We have started to use the mailing list to exchange ideas of different development issues in Sedona. Several contributors, users and committers have joined the discussion on the mailing list dev@

It is also worth noting that we are still working on importing the code into the incubator ASF GitHub repo. It took us several weeks to collect CLAs and SGAs from the major participating parties. I believe we have collected sufficient evidence to prove that the artifact is ready to be imported and the secretary has confirmed the CLA and SGA. We just created a JIRA ticket for the infra team and are waiting for them to import our codebase into ASF GitHub: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-20786

How has the project developed since the last report?

The project made a good progress. In the past month, we accepted several patches from Kengo Seki and Sachio Wakai. In the meantime, Committer Netanel is working on a large PR to replace a 3rd party dependency JTSplus with JTS in order to improve the performance. Committer Pawel is working on another large PR to carry out the Sedona Python support for Spark 3.0.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

N/A

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

The last time when we added committers or PPMC is July 2020. It is when we submitted our proposal.

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Are things falling through the cracks? If so, please list any open issues that need to be addressed.

Yes, mentors are very helpful throughout the process. We exchanged many emails recently to solve the CLA and SGA issues.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Are 3rd parties respecting and correctly using the podlings name and brand? If not what actions has the PPMC taken to correct this? Has the VP, Brand approved the project name?

We haven't seen any ongoing issues regarding this matter.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (sedona) Felix Cheung
    Comments: good to see the progress in the community. I see source is imported
  •  (sedona) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Comments:
  •  (sedona) George Percivall
    Comments:
  •  (sedona) Von Gosling
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Spot

Apache Spot is a platform for network telemetry built on an open data model and Apache Hadoop.

Spot has been incubating since 2016-09-23.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Increase community activity in mailing list and commits
  2. Make the product more approachable for new contributors and users
  3. Develop a roadmap that focuses on delivering one use case effectively

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

Not at this time.

How has the community developed since the last report?

Our new contributors have helped us increase our capacity to fix and resolve issues. Our goal in the near future is to work with the community on a roadmap that will allow more contributors to focus and work on different levels of the project (i.e. data modeling and schema design, use-cases, ingestion, ml, ui, dev ops, docs, etc).

How has the project developed since the last report?

We have increased our conformance with ASF podling policies by removing from the PPMC all who are not on the private mailing list. This has been the longest-standing caution against us.

We have significantly revamped the project website with the object of making it more approachable for new contributors. We have used whimsy to ensure that all ASF requirements are complied with.

We have captured all of the sample data used by the project and are now hosting them using ASF resources, instead of a third party AWS S3 link, which was hosted by unknown persons.

We have cleared away a large development effort that was initiated by a large company but not completed, and no contributors appear to be ready to resume work on it. Discussions have been started to take this feature in a direction fulfilling different use cases.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2017-09-08

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

2020-08-24 - We removed PPMC members who were not subscribed to the private mailing list and who did not respond to an email asking them to subscribe

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Are things falling through the cracks? If so, please list any open issues that need to be addressed.

Our mentors have been helpful in onboarding new contributors, and in getting us the Whimsy and Clutch reports and updating the website so we more completely conform to ASF policy requirements for podlings.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Are 3rd parties respecting and correctly using the podlings name and brand? If not what actions has the PPMC taken to correct this? Has the VP, Brand approved the project name?

We have no knowledge of any issues with the brand or trademark.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (spot) Uma Maheswara Rao G
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


StreamPipes

StreamPipes is a self-service (Industrial) IoT toolbox to enable non- technical users to connect, analyze and explore (Industrial) IoT data streams.

StreamPipes has been incubating since 2019-11-11.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Multiple Apache releases
  2. Grow the developer community
  3. Attract more users

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

There are no issues right now.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  • We have two accepted talks for the ApacheCon @Home, one about flexible Industrial IoT Management and one joint talk with PLC4X about data analyzing with PLC4X and StreamPipes
  • StreamPipes was elected for the AI-Champions Award (awarded by the German state of Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany), which created more visibility in the IIoT domain
  • New users have joined the mailing list, and there is an increasing amount of traffic on the dev mailing list
  • We had several remote training sessions to show users how to use StreamPipes
  • We are updating the documentation for a better overview over all features of StreamPipes and a better onboarding for new users (https://s.apache.org/8rfq8 https://s.apache.org/8rfq8)
  • We updated the README’s for the upcoming release for a quicker entry of new developers
  • Gathered more feedback from manufacturing companies how they use StreamPipes for IIoT analytics
  • Number of Twitter followers increased (last report: 128, currently: 148)
  • Number of Github stars increased (last report: 144, currently: 163)

How has the project developed since the last report?

  • Refactor UI and remove all AngularJS components. This is a big improvement for the code base, because new changes and features are now much easier to accomplish. This especially improves experience for new developers.
  • Created release branch and perform final testing for our second release (version 0.67.0), with around 70 bug fixes/improvements/new features
  • New Features:
    • Add Data Explorer to explore historic data
    • Rework the installer and command line tool
    • Remove AngularJS from UI
    • Several new processors and adapters
    • We added the Apache Maturity Model to our developer wiki: https://s.apache.org/owbuc
  • This month, we plan to perform our release and discuss about future developments.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Other:

Date of last release:

2020-05-19 (Version 0.66.0)

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

2020-05-22

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Are things falling through the cracks? If so, please list any open issues that need to be addressed.

Our mentors always provided very good feedback and support.

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Are 3rd parties respecting and correctly using the podlings name and brand? If not what actions has the PPMC taken to correct this? Has the VP, Brand approved the project name?

Signed-off-by:

  •  (streampipes) Christofer Dutz
    Comments:
  •  (streampipes) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Comments:
  •  (streampipes) Julian Feinauer
    Comments: There is a lot of development going on in the project and the core community is very active. I hope that more contributors will join the community in the near future.
  •  (streampipes) Justin Mclean
    Comments:
  •  (streampipes) Kenneth Knowles
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:


Superset

Apache Superset is a modern data exploration and visualization platform

Superset has been incubating since 2017-05-21.

Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Updating Status File on https://incubator.apache.org/projects/superset.html
  2. Seek guidance for graduation process from the IPMC
  3. Produce a project charter

Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

  1. To give our PMs and contributors-that-are-not-committers triage access right apply labels, assign reviews, close and reopen issues as need. This is being discussed in the community and has 3 binding vote yes.
  2. Is there any way our non-committer can update the status file? Can we link add a link in the status file and direct it to our Wiki page, which has the updated content.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  1. Superset Virtual Meetup was a success!
  2. Organic growth of our Github Contributors:
  • Stars (28,870 → 29,870)
  • Forks (5,909 → 6,176)
    • Watchers (1,255 → 1,277)
  1. Added 437 commits (June 1, 2020 to August 31, 2020)
  2. Grew Superset slack users to (1,665 → 2,005)

How has the project developed since the last report?

  1. Released 0.37.0 on 2020-08-07

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  •  Initial setup
  •  Working towards first release
  •  Community building
  •  Nearing graduation
  •  Others: Kicked off graduation process

Date of last release:

2020-08-07

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  • 2020-06-22 Serena Jiang (committer & PPMC)

Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?

Are things falling through the cracks? If so, please list any open issues that need to be addressed.

Open issues:

  • Felix was very helpful with Superset 0.37.0 release and also with Superset's charting library Apache ECharts 4.9.0 release. Thanks for everything!

Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?

Are 3rd parties respecting and correctly using the podlings name and brand? If not what actions has the PPMC taken to correct this? Has the VP, Brand approved the project name?

All is well. Name has been approved.

Signed-off-by:

  •  (superset) Felix Cheung
    Comments: glad to see good traction - and that it goes beyond with other podling too
  •  (superset) Jim Jagielski
    Comments:

IPMC/Shepherd notes:

  • No labels