Welcome to the Apache Nutch Wiki
Please contribute your knowledge about Nutch here!
Table of Contents
What is Apache Nutch?
Apache Nutch is a highly extensible and scalable open source web crawler software project. Stemming from Apache Lucene, the project has diversified and now comprises two codebases, namely:
- Nutch 1.x: A well matured, production ready crawler. 1.x enables fine grained configuration, relying on Apache Hadoop data structures, which are great for batch processing.
- Nutch 2.x: An emerging alternative taking direct inspiration from 1.x, but which differs in one key area; storage is abstracted away from any specific underlying data store by using Apache Gora for handling object to persistent mappings. This means we can implement an extremely flexibile model/stack for storing everything (fetch time, status, content, parsed text, outlinks, inlinks, etc.) into a number of NoSQL storage solutions.
Being pluggable and modular of course has it's benefits, Nutch provides extensible interfaces such as Parse, Index and ScoringFilter's for custom implementations e.g. Apache Tika for parsing. Additionally, pluggable indexing exists for Apache Solr, Elastic Search, etc.
Nutch can run on a single machine, but gains a lot of its strength from running in a Hadoop cluster
You can download Nutch here.
For more information about Apache Nutch, please see the Nutch wiki.
Nutch is a project of the Apache Software Foundation and is part of the larger Apache community of developers and users.
Nutch Version Administration
- Current CommandLineOptions: Command line options for 1.X and 2.X
- JavaDocs – The JavaDocs for the most recent Nutch-1.X release.
- JavaDocs – The JavaDocs for the most recent Nutch-2.X release.
Nutch 1.X tutorial(s)
- NutchTutorial - How to configure Nutch to crawl in local mode and post to Apache Solr for search/index.
- QuickStartparseChecker - Quick start tutorial on how to use the ParseChecker tool to quickly scrape a website.
- https://wiki.apache.org/nutch/Nutch_1.X_RESTAPI - An overview of the entire Nutch 1.X REST API.
Nutch 2.X tutorial(s)
- Nutch2Tutorial – How to get Nutch 2.X to use HBase as persistence layer for Gora. This is the primary Nutch 2.X tutorial.
- Setting up Nutch 2.x with Cassandra - How to setup and run Nutch 2.x using Cassandra as storage.
- How to map your Nutch 2.x Hbase table to Hive - Sample query for Hive mapping.
- Accumulo, Nutch, and Gora - A step-by-step tutorial Very Old
- Focused Crawling with Nutch using Cosine Similarity, Naive Bayes or the Anthelion mechanisms.
- Hadoop Tutorial Nutch being based Hadoop, it helps to have a better understanding of Hadoop.
- Running Nutch in (pseudo) distributed mode - How to setup and run Nutch in Hadoop pseudo-distributed mode.
- RunNutchInEclipse - How to configure, build, crawl and debug Nutch within Eclipse
- Intranet Document Search - Index and search Microsoft Office, PDF etc. documents in a file system hierarchy with a Solr backend.
- Recrawling with Nutch - How to re-crawl with Nutch.
- Ajax-Solr Tutorial: Nutch - Quick and easy guide to getting a nice UI on top of your Nutch crawl data.
- SetupProxyForNutch - using Tinyproxy on Ubuntu
- SetupNutchAndTor - Crawling .onion hidden services using Nutch behind Polipo HTTP Proxy
- CloudSearch - Step by step instructions on using Nutch with Cloudsearch, including pseudo distributed mode
- Webcast : running Apache Nutch on Elastic MapReduce
- OverviewDeploymentConfigs :This full page requires a complete update to reflect recent Nutch releases:
- NutchConfigurationFiles: An overview from Nutch developers.
- NutchPropertiesCompleteList: A fine grained account of all Nutch property configuration.
- HttpAuthenticationSchemes - How to enable Nutch to authenticate itself using NTLM, Basic or Digest authentication schemes.
- NonDefaultIntranetCrawlingOptions - Desirable options to add to your Nutch intranet crawling configuration.
- OptimizingCrawls - How to optimise your crawling/fetching speed with Nutch.
- ErrorMessages – What they mean and suggestions for getting rid of them. :This requires extensive updating to reflect recent Nutch releases. In addition the legacy indexing and searching material should be archived.
- IndexStructure :This page needs a slight update to provide more information on plugins and the data they send to Solr for indexing:
- IndexWriters: How to configure the index writers for indexing step.
- Exchanges: How to configure the exchanges for indexing step.
- Nutch Website
- Features :TODO:This needs to be completely overhauled to reflect recent Nutch features.
- Current Nutch Gotchas
- PublicServers running Nutch
- Presentations on Nutch
- Press Articles
- Evaluations of Search Quality
- Commercial Support & developers for hire
- Mailing Lists
- AcademicArticles that deal with Nutch
- NutchScoring - The whats and wheres of Scoring implementations in Apache Nutch
- NutchFileFormats - Provides information on the Nutch file formats
- Becoming a Nutch Developer - Start developing and contributing to Nutch.
- PluginCentral – How to write your own plugins and use other people's.
- InternalDocumentation – How Nutch works.
- Nutch Version Control
- UsingGit - a guide to leveraging Git and Nutch. Nutch's source code is no longer managed in Subversion, it's managed in Git.
- Committer's_Rules – Committers should follow these guidelines when deciding, which branch to use for committing the patches and when to commit.
- Apache CMS] - How to edit the Nutch website based on the [http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html.
- NutchMeetUps - Records of previous Nutch community meetup, hackathons, barcamps etc.
- Using Nutch as a Maven dependency
- GoogleSummerOfCode - An area dedicated to GSoC projects and student/mentor development/documentation sandbox.
- WhiteListRobots - User guide for the new host robots.txt whitelist capability
- Nutch2Crawling - A description of the crawling jobs and field to database mappings.
- Nutch2Architecture - A high level overview of the new architecture and design
- Nutch2Roadmap – Discussions on the architecture and features of Nutch 2.0
- Build Nutch 2.0 in Eclipse – How to setup your IDE environment comfortably.
- ErrorMessagesInNutch2 – What they mean and suggestions for getting rid of them.
- NutchConfigurationFiles-2.x – Configuration files that are specific to Nutch-2.x
- Understanding the columns/fields in Nutch 2.0 Webpage - Detailed article
- WorkingWithGoraSnapshots - A step by step guide to working with Gora development code within your Nutch 2.x deployment
- NutchRESTAPI - A UML diagram and overview of the entire Nutch 2.X REST API.
Archive and Old Nutch Versions
How to edit this Wiki
This Wiki is a collaborative site, anyone can contribute and share. To help avoid spam the Nutch wiki is only editable by known accounts. If you would like to help out with the Nutch wiki, add a new page, or work on an existing one, please first create a wiki account by clicking on "Sign Up" or "Log in" if you already have an account.