- Infers the schema of the Hive table from the Avro schema. Starting in Hive 0.14, the Avro schema can be inferred from the Hive table schema.
- Reads all Avro files within a table against a specified schema, taking advantage of Avro's backwards compatibility abilities
- Supports arbitrarily nested schemas.
- Translates all Avro data types into equivalent Hive types. Most types map exactly, but some Avro types don't exist in Hive and are automatically converted by the AvroSerde.
- Understands compressed Avro files.
- Transparently converts the Avro idiom of handling nullable types as Union[T, null] into just T and returns null when appropriate.
- Writes any Hive table to Avro files.
- Has worked reliably against our most convoluted Avro schemas in our ETL process.
- Starting in Hive 0.14, columns can be added to an Avro backed Hive table using the Alter Table statement.