WARNING: It won't run on a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) alone. Java workalikesworkalike, including Blackdown, Kaffe, and others do NOT run OFBiz successfully (yet), but you can use OpenJDK for recent versions (at least Java 8).
Sun's Java version numbering was a bit schizophrenic-- Java 6 means version 1.6, while Java 5 means version 1.5. From Java 8 Oracle is only labeled this way. OFBiz Java version requirements are as follows:
- trunk requires Java SDK 8
- 18.12 requires Java SDK 8
- 17.12 requires Java SDK 8
- 16.11 requires Java SDK 8
- 15.12 requires Java SDK 8
- 12.04, 13.07, 14.12: requires Java SDK version 1.6
- 11.04, 10.04: requires Java SDK version 1.6
- 9.04: requires Java SDK version 1.5 (or greater)
OFBiz comes with an IBM Derby SQL database built-in. This is usually fine for evaluation, development, and testing. Production servers will probably want a more powerful database. A variety of databases are supported, including PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, and others.