It is possible to install and run several of the Apache Aries sample EBAs in Apache Geronimo 3.0-SNAPSHOT. These are OSGi enabled Web Applications and other bundles that leverage capabilities such as Blueprint, JNDI, JDBC, JPA, and JTA in OSGi specified ways. The samples are packaged in an EBA for deployment. The current samples are the Aries Blog and AriesTrader.
You can find more details on the samples here:
Obtaining a Geronimo 3.0-M1 server
You can download an image of the "Geronimo Non-Certified Web Container" (either Tomcat or Jetty) from this location:
Geronimo 3.0-M1 download page
You must use a Web Container image and not a "Little-G" (minimal) version of the server. The Little-G version does not include necessary components for deploying the Apache Aries samples.
Follow the Apache Geronimo documentation to unpack and start the server image (Hint: unzip or untar the server image and use something like "./bin/geronimo.sh run" to start the server).
Obtaining the Aries Samples
There are several choices to obtain the Apache Aries EBA samples.
- You can choose to obtain the source code and build the samples yourself. This is useful if you are using the samples as a learning tool to build your own application.
- You can also choose to simply download the EBAs from the latest Apache Aries samples release without building Apache Aries.
In either case, you can find the necessary downloads (source or EBA artifacts) at this location:
Latest Apache Aries Release
Building the Apache Aries samples
If you choose not to build the samples you can skip to Deploy the Aries Samples DataSource
Download and unzip the source zip for the Latest Apache Aries Release of Aries Samples and build the project.
This procedure will pull in the binaries from the latest release and its dependencies.
What you are really interested in here are the sample EBAs for Blog and AriesTrader which can be found at:
- Blog jdbc sample - samples-0.1-incubating/blog/blog-jdbc-eba/target/org.apache.aries.samples.blog.jdbc.eba-0.1-incubating.eba
- Blog jpa sample - samples-0.1-incubating/blog/blog-jpa-eba/target/org.apache.aries.samples.blog.jpa.eba-0.1-incubating.eba
- AriesTrader jdbc sample - samples-0.1-incubating/ariestrader/assemblies/ariestrader-jdbc-eba/target/org.apache.aries.samples.ariestrader.jdbc-0.1-incubating.eba
- AriesTrader all sample - samples-0.1-incubating/ariestrader/assemblies/ariestrader-all-eba/target/org.apache.aries.samples.ariestrader.all-0.1-incubating.eba
Deploy the Aries Samples DataSource
Each of the two samples requires a Datasource. However, before you can deploy the Datasources you need to obtain the tranql-connector-derby-embed-xa rar. Unfortunately, this was not included in the Geronimo 3.0-M1 server images (but will be included in future images).
- For 3.0-M1 release you can obtain the necessary rar from any of the ibiblio mirrors: Tranql RAR for derby
- You must also download the XML for the datasource definitions - located here: aries-datasource.xml.
After you have both of the necessary files in your local file system use the following command to deploy the datasource:
./bin/deploy -u system -p manager deploy tranql-connector-derby-embed-xa-1.6.rar aries-datasource.xml
Deploy the Sample EBA
Deploy the Blog or AriesTrader EBAs using the Geronimo web console or the following commands (NOTE: you should only deploy one version of each sample at a time - for example only the jdbc Blog or jpa Blog sample and not both concurrently):
./bin/deploy -u system -p manager deploy org.apache.aries.samples.blog.jdbc.eba-0.1-incubating.eba
./bin/deploy -u system -p manager deploy org.apache.aries.samples.blog.jpa.eba-0.1-incubating.eba
./bin/deploy -u system -p manager deploy org.apache.aries.samples.ariestrader.jdbc-0.1-incubating.eba
./bin/deploy -u system -p manager deploy org.apache.aries.samples.ariestrader.all-0.1-incubating.eba
Running the Samples
You should now be able to access the samples as follows:
For details on how to interact with the Samples and the sample structure reference the following links:
- Aries Blog Sample - specifically reference the "About the Blog Sample" section.
- AriesTrader Sample - specifically reference the "Accessing and using the AriesTrader sample" and the subsequent "About the AriesTrader Sample" sections.