Localization - l10n - or Internationalization - i18n - are tecnical technical names for software translation, more that only change the words in a software interface, is a cultural and contextual adaptation of software for each country and/or region with a specific language and habits.
So, to translate Apache OpenOffice for a new language, basicly basically we need:
- Get the SDF source in english (base language);
- Convert from SDF to POT file (PO Template - a PO file without any translation);
- Translate all strings;
- Rename all translated POT files to PO (one time that are translated, this files aren't more templates);
- Convert from PO to SDF file (we can accept a PO package/zip file);
- Open a bug against L10N section in our bug track system
- Wait a build with your language pack.