- Download, install and start the SQuirrel SQL Client from the SQuirrel SQL website.
- Select 'Drivers -> New Driver...' to register Hive's JDBC driver that works with HiveServer2.
Enter the driver name and example URL:
Code Block language text
Name: Hive Example URL: jdbc:hive2://localhost:10000/default
Select 'Extra Class Path -> Add' to add the following jars from your local Hive and Hadoop distribution. You will need to build Hive from the trunk after the commit of HIVE-679.
Select 'List Drivers'. This will cause SQuirrel to parse your jars for JDBC drivers and might take a few seconds. From the 'Class Name' input box select the Hive driver for working with HiveServer2:
Click 'OK' to complete the driver registration.
- Select 'Aliases -> Add Alias...' to create a connection alias to your HiveServer2 instance.
- Give the connection alias a name in the 'Name' input box.
- Select the Hive driver from the 'Driver' drop-down.
- Modify the example URL as needed to point to your HiveServer2 instance.
- Enter 'User Name' and 'Password' and click 'OK' to save the connection alias.
- To connect to HiveServer2, double-click the Hive alias and click 'Connect'.