|Table of Contents|
Design/Code Review Guidelines
Design Reviews Should Check For:
How-to design wiki for Sqoop2.
Use the above as a guideline to ask specific questions about the design such as the
- Scope of this feature, what it does intend to change and what it does not.
- What the relevant components in Sqoop that will be affected by this change?
- It might be good to help them break down the design if it is too large and will extend more than few weeks to get the first cut.
- Ask them if any of the design decisions were based on some benchmarks/testing if performance is stated as a goal.
- Make sure they have done even research to leverage existing utilities/libraries instead of re-inventing the wheel again.
- Will there be any backwards incompatible changes?
- Will any dependencies be added?
Code Reviews Should Check For:
- Is the code change consistent with the proposed design? If there is a proposal to change the design, discuss the proposal on Jira.
- Is the new feature or bug fix well covered by unit tests?
- Is the new code sufficiently documented (i.e. code comments, restructured text, and wiki where needed) ?
- If the feature has user aspects, the user documentation must be updated.
- If the feature has administrative facing aspects, the administration documentation should be updated.
- If the feature has developer facing aspects, the developer documentation should be updated.
- Does the code break backward compatibility? (For example, adding abstract methods to class used by connectors)
- Are there new dependencies? Are there new dependencies on non-open-source components?
- Is the placement of objects in packages consistent with the rest of the project? If a new package/component is required, it should be highlighted in the design doc.
Does "mvn clean verify" pass?
- Is code duplicated?
- Sometimes take the extra step to give an example of what you might have done if it is few lines of code.
More in-depth review checklist per sqoop component.
|Component||Must not miss checklist||How to test ?|
API additions or changes
Connectors and Driver
MR Execution/Submission Engine
Sqoop CLI ( Shell)