- Create an owner party (or party group) for the fixed assets. This could be the "Company" party if you are already using it as your company.
- Create facilities where the fixed assets are located. Make sure each facility has a Postal Address contact mechanism.
- Create additional fixed asset types, if needed. Use Webtools to add records to the FixedAssetType entity.
- Create products for any fixed assets that have more than one instance. For example, if you have five Acme Model 3 Compressors, then create one Acme Model 3 Compressor product. Do not assign the product to a facility.
- Create products for any fixed assets that you want to set up recurring maintenance for. Do not assign the product to a facility.
- Create additional product maintenance types, if needed. Use Webtools to add records to the ProductMaintType entity.
- Create product maintenances for the fixed asset products. These will act as maintenance templates - all instances of the product will share these maintenances.
- Assign the appropriate Maintenance roles to the parties performing maintenance. Parties can include outside maintenance services.
- Create the fixed assets. Be sure to specify the Instance Of ProductID and Located At Facility ID. Also, associate the owner party to the fixed asset in the role of Owner.
You are now ready to create maintenance tasks manually. If product maintenances were created based on meter readings, then maintenances will be generated automatically as meter readings are entered.
A maintenance will be created when you enter the first meter reading on a new fixed asset - because there is no previous maintenance to compare against. Those initial maintenances should have their status set to Complete. Do not set the status to Cancelled, otherwise another maintenance will be created automatically.
Automatic Features Setup
Sometimes fixed asset maintenances must be assigned to a particular worker because he or she is the only one trained/certified/qualified to work on that piece of equipment. In those cases you can set up the fixed asset to automatically assign a worker to new maintenances. Just associate the worker to the fixed asset in one of the maintenance roles.
Thanks to Adrian