How to become a committer (and maybe a PPMC member)
The Committer, Member and (P)PMC Member terms, in particular, have very specific meanings in the Apache Software Foundation (see also https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html), and need to be used appropriately to avoid confusion:
- Everyone who is listed at https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/NetBeansProposal can become an Apache NetBeans committer and PPMC (Podling Project Management Committee) member by submitting the required paperwork. For those in that list, the final step in becoming a committer is to send your iCLA (individual contributor license agreement) to Apache. Here it is: https://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.pdf. Under "notify project", please put NETBEANS. Under "preferred Apache id(s)", please put an ID of your choice, which does not already exist (check here: http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html). Please print out the iCLA, complete it and sign it, scan it, and then e-mail the PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Once you have sent in your iCLA, you will receive a notification and your Apache ID. You will then be ready to commit code to Apache NetBeans, once the code has been transferred from Oracle. NetBeans PPMC members should also join email@example.com (by sending a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org) which is the PPMC's private list. Only things that really need to be private are discussed there, such as candidates for committership but not much more than that. As usual at the ASF, everything happens in the open unless really really required.
- Other community members can become Apache NetBeans committers (and maybe also PPMC members) once the NetBeans PPMC elects them to those roles, based on people's merit as usual in Apache projects - you don't ask for committership but add value to the project and expect the PMC to recognize that and vote you in, in due time. See the Process section below.
- Being a NetBeans committer or PPMC member does not make you an Apache Software Foundation (ASF) Member - that's a different status that's granted by existing Members to people who show an interest in and add value to the Foundation as a whole, see https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles.
Process as described by other projects:
- Based on people's merit (activity and involvement of a contributor), an existing PPMC member starts a VOTE thread on the private@ mailing list to turn the contributor into a committer. (Example text etc to come.)
- Properly tally the vote with a [VOTE][RESULT| message. (Example text etc to come.)
- Send invitation to the committer, to invite them to be a committer. Example invitations:
- An account needs to be created for the new committer, if they accept the invitation that was sent.
- Once created, the new user can then be added as a committer at https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/netbeans.
- In parallel, send the [NOTICE] to Incubator PMC and wait 72 hours. (Example text etc to come.)
- Then add the PPMC member at https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/netbeans and optionally announce on the dev list. (Example text etc to come.)