- KIP Freeze: Jan 27, 2021 (A KIP must be accepted by this date in order to be considered for this release. Note, any KIP that may not be implemented in a week, or that might destabilize the release, should be deferred.)
- Feature Freeze: Feb 3, 2021 (major features merged & working on stabilization, minor features have PR, release branch cut; anything not in this state will be automatically moved to the next release in JIRA)
- Code Freeze: Feb 17, 2021
- At least two weeks of stabilization will follow code freeze.
These dates are goals and subject to change, but we expect to stay on the Time Based Release Plan unless unexpected critical issues come up. While the earliest possible release date is 2w after code freeze, RCs will roll out as needed until the release vote passes.
The release manager is John Roesler
How to Contribute
Before code freeze:
- Participate in votes and discussions to land or postpone the open KIPs.
- Review patches. We anticipate that this release will be bottlenecked mostly on reviews. The more reviewers, the more content we can fit in.
- Write unit/integration/system tests. We want to preserve the tradition of high-quality releases in Apache Kafka.
After code freeze:
- Write more unit/integration/system tests. We want to preserve the tradition of high-quality releases in Apache Kafka.
- Improve documentation
- Test the release candidates
- Open blocker JIRAs on critical issues found. Open non-blocker JIRAs on any other issues found.
- Fix critical bugs
- Review bug fixes
- Vote on RCs. Even though only PMC votes are binding, community votes are super important as we evaluate the readiness of the release
Also feel free to refer to this release page for more details of the included tickets.
Planned KIP Content
Note: The planned content is not binding - final content will be based the features committed by branch-cutting date. See Kafka Improvement Proposals for the full list of KIPs.
Postponed to subsequent release
|KIP-679: Producer will enable the strongest delivery guarantee by default||Core|
|KIP-695: Further Improve Kafka Streams Timestamp Synchronization||Consumer, Streams|