Submitted at http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/March2012
A tool for efficiently transferring bulk data between Apache Hadoop and structured datastores such as relational databases.
Sqoop was accepted into Apache Incubator on June 11, 2011. Status information is available at [http://incubator.apache.org/projects/sqoop.html].
Progress since last report:
* Sqoop PPMC voted in Kathleen Ting as a new committer.
* Sqoop PPMC voted in Jarek Jarcec Checho (Jarsolav Cecho) as PPMC member.
* Released Sqoop version 1.4.1-incubating, with support for Apache Hadoop versions 0.20, 0.23 and 1.0.
* Sqoop started it's graduation process on February 19th, 2012.
Progress on graduation:
* Community Vote: PASSED. Vote (1), Result (2)
* Incubator PMC Vote: PASSED. Vote (3), Result (4)
* During IPMC vote a concern was raised that Sqoop contains deprecated Java source in com.cloudera.sqoop namespace which need be removed before graduation.
* Sqoop dev expressed that this code was:
* Marked deprecated and retained solely for backward compatibility.
* That there was a concrete plan to completely remove it by next major revision, work for which had already started.
* That it was not motivated by Cloudera's corporate interests.
* The Incubator PMC and Sqoop community reached consensus that:
* Sqoop was within it's right to retain Java source code in com.cloudera.sqoop namespace to provide backwards compatibility.
* And, that it was for the benefit of Sqoop community.
* And, that there is no such policy in ASF that Incubator can enforce on any Incubating projects.
* And, that if anyone feels that this should be a policy, they must establish it via the proper channel of providing the problem statement, impact of the problem, and solution to the board for consideration.
* The draft board resolution that was voted on by IPMC has been submitted to the board for consideration in it's next meeting scheduled for March 21, 2012.