Based on the feedback raised in on the mailing list discussion. http://ofbiz.135035.n4.nabble.com/Why-A-Framework-Rewrite-Is-Necessary-td4673385.html
We are looking to investigate options and strategies for a possible update the OFBiz framework. We held an intial brainstorming session (e.g group call) on ??? to discuss possible strategies of how to plan and organise a potential sub project. Details of the call are ???. If you are interested in being part of the working group on this please complete the details below.
|Sharan Foga||sharan at apache.org||Prague, Czech Republic|
|Adrian Crum||adrian.crum at sandglass-software.com||Los Angeles, California USA|
|Ron Wheeler||rwheeler at artifact-software.com||Montreal, Canada|
All ideas and suggestions are welcome! Please make your suggestions in the appropriate document's comments section - not in the document itself. When a consensus is reached, the document is updated. This will ensure the design documents are easy to read and understand.
Planning and Approach
Framework Foundation sub component project Goal: What do we want to Achieve?
In this proposed subproject we would like to implement the foundation sub component. This is the a core part of the overall framework that would initially comprise as follows:
- Globalization (locale, time zone, currency).
- Security (authentication/authorization).
- Actor Management (profiles, roles - required for security; Actors - people, external services) Think of UML Actor. Required to remove dependency on Party
- Data Store (entity engine).
- Lang package to provide classes that are fundamental to the framework
- Runtime management
Currently we don’t have enough information to build our implementation roadmap so have agreed on an approach that will help provide that information. Our main focus of work will be to expand and complete the existing Framework Design Documentation as follows:
|Task||Description||Status||Who is Working on It||Comments|
|1||Describe and define what is meant by each of the 9 areas mentioned above. (what is it?, what does it do?)||In Progress||Ron, Taher, Adrian for review|
|2||To do this we will write the API specification for each on the wiki (NOTE: Even though the API spec will be written in Javadoc, we want to use the wiki rather than a repository at this stage as we want to validate and agree them before any coding starts )||Not Started|
|3||Open the API specifications for review and comments from the community, and based on feedback, do any updates||Not Started|
|4||Once the API specifications are agreed, we will have more information about the work involved and should be able to put together an initial version of our implementation roadmap||Not Started|
- An API Specification for each of the 9 areas
- An Implementation Roadmap for the Foundation sub component
- Completion of each API specification (includes feedback and community agreement) giving a total of 9
Milestone / Deliverable Planning and Tracking
|FRAPI1||Configuration API Specification||Not Complete|
|FRAPI2||Globalization API Specification||Not Complete|
|FRAPI3||Logging API Specification||Not Complete|
|FRAPI4||Security API Specification||Not Complete|
|FRAPI5||Actor Management API Specification||Not Complete|
|FRAPI6||Data Store API Specification||Not Complete|
|FRAPI7||Language Package API Specification||Not Complete|
|FRAPI8||Services API Specification||Not Complete|
|FRAPI9||Runtime Management API Specification||Not Complete|
|FRRMAP||Implementation Roadmap||Not Complete|
- Find out what is involved in setting up a subproject repository and mailing list for the subproject within Apache (Sharan Foga)
- Continue to complete API Spec documentation including Javadoc (Ron Wheeler, Taher Alkhateeb, Adrian Crum for review)
- Review organisation and structure of other frameworks for ideas to incorporate (Ron Wheeler, Taher Alkhateeb, Sharan Foga, and any other community members interested)
This page describes a sub-component (Foundation) of the overall rewrite. It needs to be reorganized to reflect that it is a portion of the rewrite. The diagram below shows how this component fits into the overall rewrite.