Here are steps and criteria for how to become an Committer to the Apache Geode project.
Note that you don't need to be a committer in order to contribute or participate in the project. Patches, JIRA's and participation on the mailing lists and forums are possible and encouraged! It's the way to get necessary Karma to become a committer.
Steps and Criteria for Becoming a Committer
- Participate and contribute via project's mailing lists, JIRA, wiki, documentation, sending patches and pull requests, and just generally evangelizing about the technology to the greater community.
- Contributors are nominated by a current Committer to be granted Commit privileges by the Apache Geode PMC.
- Committers should nominate fellow contributors when a candidate has shown a consistent history of participating in the development process or community, and has demonstrated that they understand and follow the development process and community standards of the Apache Geode project.
- The members on the PMC will consider both the history and quality of the contributors' participation, and vote whether to grant commit privileges to the candidate, or provide feedback and mentoring to the candidate to help further groom them to become a Committer in the future.
- Contributors who have shown a consistent history of participating in the development process or community, and have demonstrated that they understand and follow the development process and community standards of the Apache Geode, and who show promise for future contributions should generally be accepted by the PMC as a new Committer.
- Newly voted Committers must download and print the Apache Contributor License Agreement (ICLA) from here. (For a company that will assign employees to work with Apache projects, please check the Corporate CLA)
- Sign and scan the ICLA and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wait for your name to appear in the list of received CLA's.
- Once that is complete, you can send a message to email@example.com with the following information:
- Your full name:
- Your preferred e-mail address:
- Your preferred Apache ID:
- Once your account is provisioned you shall receive an e-mail from firstname.lastname@example.org with details.
- Login at https://id.apache.org to test your account and update your profile if needed.
For more information on becoming a new committer please visit the Apache New Committer Guide.