September 2008 Board reports (see ReportingSchedule).
Next board meeting is on September 17, 2008, so the aggregated Incubator report must be sent on September 15th.
REPORT IS CLOSED
Your project might need to report even if it is not listed below, please check your own reporting schedule or exceptions.
We have done the following:
1.Two modules of the project,that is DTU and Tserver,have been modified by using stlport to replace gpl based c++ code except for some minor mistakes.
2.The official website has been updated and formal reports are added.
3.We strive hard to learn the related contents of how to incubate successfully in Apache community ,which is sure a great help to our future work.
2008-September JSecurity Incubator status report
JSecurity is a powerful and flexible open-source Java security framework that cleanly handles authentication, authorization, enterprise session management and cryptography.
JSecurity has been incubating since June 2008.
Since last month, a new external release has been issued (0.9.0-RC2), and some bug fixes, and discussion about the configuration format.
The code source should be injected to the Apache repository soon, when the external 0.9.0 release will be out. It's a matter of days, may be a week, accordingly to the latest discussion on the mailing list.
JIRA is set up, but it should be used.
The status is being maintained at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/jsecurity/STATUS
log4php is a port of the log4j package for PHP.
Very limited activity over the last 3 months. 3 external patches, provided via JIRA were submitted in September, and these are in the process of being vetted and will likely be committed. There are external users but almost no activity on the mailing lists.
Incubating since 07/2007
Pig is a platform for analyzing large data sets that consists of a high-level language for expressing data analysis programs, coupled with infrastructure for evaluating these programs. The salient property of Pig programs is that their structure is amenable to substantial parallelization, which in turns enables them to handle very large data sets.
- Pig's infrastructure is in good shape. We just announced our first release from the incubator Pig 0.1.0! In addition, a major system redesign is underway that introduces type system, improves performance, and provides better platform for future work. The rework is expected to complete in October 2008.
- The development community is growing with addition of Daniel Dai as a new committer. More work needed to attract developers to the project.
- The user community is also growing with more activity on the user mailing list. In addition, a tutorial and user function repository were added to help users to come up to speed on the product. Also there is ongoing work on the user documentation.
Incubating since: October 2007
River is aimed at the development and advancement of the Jini technology core infrastructure. Jini technology is a service oriented architecture that defines a programming model which both exploits and extends Java technology to enable the construction of secure, distributed systems which are adaptive to change.
This reporting period showed almost no activity, which is quite disappointing. Based on the question by one of our mentors "What's up with River" it became clear some active committers were forced to downsize their participation due to being drowned by other activities, in case of many of the Sun committers this is due to a change of jobs.
There are however signs that others, well known in the Jini community, want to lend their hand and help with getting out our next release.
Things that needs to be done before graduation:
- the API in the
com.sunnamespace must be changed to
org.apache, probably has to await the incorporation of patches lingering around and after our automated test framework is in place
- overall participation of non Sun committers must increase and we should grow our community by getting more people involved
Incubating since: December 2006
Shindig is a reference implementation of the OpenSocial and gadgets stack.
Incubating since: 2007-12-06
High-level status summary: Shindig preparing for an incubation release of the v0.8 OpenSocial spec
- On track for an incubation release of Shindig on September 30, compliant to OpenSocial v0.8.1
- Active community, code base is maturing well, and is in use by many very large sites
- Apache-provided Zone is up and running
- 2 new committers, actively seeking more
- Top 2 things to resolve prior to graduation:
- Improve diversity of committers (progress, but on-going)
- Run through at least one release (0.8 release will be a good one)
Hama is a parallel matrix computational package based on Hadoop.
Incubating since: 19 May 2008
- The Hama website was published.
- The automated CI server for Hama integration builds was installed.
- The users were beginning to evaluate/report the function and perfomance of the Hama.
We need to make a guide for the users and developers.
Apache Empire-db is an Open Source relational data persistence component which allows database vendor independent dynamic query definition as well as safe and simple data retrieval and updating. Empire-db entered the incubator on July 8th, 2008
- we've finalized migration from sf.net to apache
- commits are coming in
- issue tracker is being used
- first release tries to go through the incubator
- no new additions to the committer roster or ppmc
Apache PhotArk will be a complete open source photo gallery application including a content repository for the images, a display piece, an access control layer, and upload capabilities.
PhotArk has been accepted for Incubation in August 19.
SVN, Mailing Lists and Committer accounts are ready
Community is starting to work on website and initial code.