Current state: Under Discussion
Discussion thread: TBD
Kafka Streams has been receiving wide adoptions in the community as a robust library to build stream processing frameworks. One of the awkward situation we have been encountering is that when making a technical comparison with other streaming frameworks, Kafka Streams doesn't have a dedicated logo to represent. Using the general Kafka logo was ok, but it doesn't imply the stream processing component and would normally cause more confusions than necessary. Kafka Streams deserves a separate logo which could be very distinguishable as well as have a very strong connection to both ideas of Apache Kafka and stream processing holistically.
We are proposing two designs of the new Kafka Streams logo with a cute otter:
To decide the final winner, we would like to start a public vote thread on the dev mailing list. The voting thread will be open for one week, and the criteria for the competition would be collecting both binding and non-binding votes at the same time, with the following comparison rule:
- If design A and design B have different binding votes, whoever gets more vote wins.
- If design A and design B have the same number of binding votes, compare the non-binding votes
Later the winner will be used to update the official Kafka website and necessary README files, etc.
Compatibility, Deprecation, and Migration Plan
- What impact (if any) will there be on existing users?
- If we are changing behavior how will we phase out the older behavior?
- If we need special migration tools, describe them here.
- When will we remove the existing behavior?