If you are a Java Developer and interested in contributing to Apache Ranger Project ?
Download the Apache Ranger Project
You should be able to pull the Apache Ranger code into your local machine.
Alternatively, the git repo is automatically mirrored on github at: https://github.com/apache/ranger
You can fork that repository, commit changes to your fork, and submit pull requests through GitHub's pull request mechanisms.
Subscribe to Apache Ranger Development Community
Also, Developer mailing list is a good resource for gaining knowledge about the current features being discussed/designed for the release.
You can subscribe to developer mailing list by sending mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you ready to work on some code ?
If you are new person to Apache, please create a new account in Apache JIRA page. Once you have a valid Apache JIRA user account,
- Login into JIRA Page for Apache Ranger
- Review all unassigned JIRA(s) that are of your interest and pick a JIRA to work on.
- Send a note to dev community via email@example.com to have a PMC member assign the JIRA to you.
- Once the JIRA is assigned to you, you can work on the Apache Ranger source on your local repo - to resolve the JIRA.
- Configure your git to use your username and email address. So when the patch is created, it will have your information and the code will have your credit.
After the JIRA is resolved, you can commit the changes to your local repo with commit comment with Apache JIRA number as follows:
After you committed your change into your local repo, you should be able to create a patch using the following command:
This command should create a git patch file under the current directory. Attach the patch file to the Apache JIRA and provide your comment about the solution. An Apache Ranger committer should be able to review your patch and provide feedback or commit to Apache Ranger.
If you have issues applying the patch correctly, please do the following:
git config diff.noprefix false
For additional information, please refer to discussions in RANGER-1739
You should upload the patch in https://reviews.apache.org/r/. Steps are:
Create an account in review board
Click on "New Review Request"
Search for "ranger" in the repository at the left
Upload your patch file
Give name and description. Add Apache JIRA # in review request title/name
- On the right side, give the JIRA number, select group "ranger"
- And publish the request.
- Attach the patch to Apache JIRA
- Provide the link to the review request in Apache JIRA
- Mark the fix version appropriately (if you know)
- If the patch is accepted, then one of the committers will commit your code.
- Update the JIRA with commit link once the patch is reviewed and committed
- Mark the review request as closed once the patch is committed
For pulling latest source changes from Apache Ranger, you can execute the following command to get latest code changes from remote Apache repo to your local repo:
FOR COMMITTERS: Those committing contributed code, please follow the below processafterapproving the code
If you have any questions related to Apache Ranger development questions, please feel free to contact dev group via email - firstname.lastname@example.org .