|Configuring your development environment||Development environment||Installing OSGi Application Development tools|
This page describes how to install the current release of the GEP (GEP 3.0-M1). For information about installing previous releases, see this page.
Note that v3.0-M1 Geronimo server adapter feature provides server adapters for the v1.1.x, v2.0.x, v2.1.x, v2.2 and v3.0-M1 Geronimo servers. The reason for supporting v1.1.x server is to make v1.1.x server adapter compatible with latest version of eclipse. But since Geronimo 1.1 did not officially support JDK 6, it's not recommended to use v1.1.x server adapter with JDK 6. See the requirement in GERONIMODEVTOOLS-578.
If you plan to upgrade GEP to the latest version, you have to uninstall the existing one from your Eclipse first. See Uninstalling GEP for more details.
- Java SE 1.6.0
- Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers (Helios (Eclipse 3.6))
- Apache Geronimo 3.0-M1 server
Sun JDK 6.0 can be downloaded from Sun's J2SE 6.0 Downloads site. The Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers can be downloaded from the Eclipse Downloads site. Download and extract the Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers archives to a directory of your choice (for e.g. C:\eclipse). The archive will be extracted to a directory named eclipse under the directory you specified (for e.g. C:\eclipse\eclipse), referred to as <ECLIPSE_HOME> from now on. Make sure that the JDK in the PATH is Sun JDK 6.0. Launch Eclipse by running
To install the Geronimo server, download the Geronimo 3.0-M1 server from http://www.apache.org/dist/geronimo/ and extract the archive to a directory of your choice (for e.g. C:\g). The archive will be extracted to a directory geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-3.0-M1 (for e.g. C:\g\geronimo-tomcat7-javaee5-3.0-M1) or geronimo-jetty7-javaee6-3.0-M1 depending on whether you downloaded Geronimo 3.0-M1 distribution with Tomcat or Jetty as the web container. We will refer to this directory as <GERONIMO_HOME> from now on.
Installing GEP using Eclipse update manager
A video desktop demonstration of Installing the Apache Geronimo Eclipse Plugin with the Eclipse Update Manager is available.
- Once you have all the prerequisites installed. Launch Eclipse from
<ECLIPSE_HOME>/eclipse. By default Eclipse will be launched with Java EE perspective.
- Select Help->Install New Softwares... from the menu.
- On the next screen click Add.
- Copy and paste the following site to Add Site window and Select OK.
- Expand Geronimo WTP Server Adapters and select Geronimo v3.0 Server Adapter, then click Next.
- Wait until Eclipse finish resovling the requirements and dependencies. Review the details and click Finish.
- Review the license and accept the agreement.
- You have to wait a few seconds while Eclipse resolves dependencies.
- Select the items that you trust and select OK. You can review the details of these certificates by clicking on details.
- Once GEP is installed you will be prompted to restart. Select Yes.
Installing GEP within WTP
- Once you have all the #Prerequisites installed, launch Eclipse from
<ECLIPSE_HOME>/eclipse.By default Eclipse will be launched with Java EE perspective.
- Select the Servers tab as shown in the figure and select New->Server.
- On the next screen select Download Additional Server Adapters.
- Select Geronimo v3.0 Server Adapter and select Next.
- Accept the license agreement and select Finish.
- Next screen will ask for confirmation. Select OK. Once done Geronimo V3.0 server adapter will be downloaded and installed.
- Once the adapter is installed you will be prompted to restart the server. Select Yes.
From version 3.4, Eclipse adopted a new update manager called P2. The update manager can't uninstall plug-ins that isn't installed by P2. As a result, with this method, GEP can't be uninstalled by eclipse update manager in eclipse 3.4. See Bug245469 for details.
- Download the package geronimo-eclipse-plugin-3.0_M1-updatesite.zip from http://apache.org/dist/geronimo/eclipse/3.0-M1/.
- Once done, extract the package into a directory on your machine.
- Follow the instructions in #Installing GEP using Eclipse update manager section. When adding a an update site in step 5, choose Local, and navigate to the directory where you unzipped the updatesite.zip package in the previous step.
- Download the package geronimo-eclipse-plugin-3.0_M1-deployable.zip from http://apache.org/dist/geronimo/eclipse/3.0-M1/.
- Once done, extract the package into your eclipse installation directory. You may get a prompt regarding file replacement. Select All.
- Restart eclipse with the -clean option.
Verify GEP installation
- Select Help->About Eclipse Platform.
- You can see a G icon in the About Eclipse Platform. This confirms the successful installation of GEP. Click the icon.
- On the next screen you can view details- License, Plug-in-Details and set the Columns of the table being displayed.
GEP may be uninstalled in a similar manner in which it was installed.
Uninstall does not work well on Helios, especially for GEP. It will uninstall GEP, but then you can't reinstall it, as it doesn't really get uninstalled. The only way to reinstall GEP in Helios is to reinstall Helios itself! See Eclipse Bugzilla 244935 for details, and hopefully a fix soon!