Report from the Apache VCL committee [Andy Kurth]
VCL is a modular cloud computing platform which dynamically provisions and
brokers remote access to compute resources including virtual machines,
bare-metal computers, and resources in other cloud platforms. A self-service
web portal is used to request resources and for administration. VCL became a
TLP on June 20, 2012.
- There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.
- There are a few minor issues to finish up for the next release, Apache VCL
2.5. The only showstopper is an issue to resolve related to the addition of
Windows 10 support in the upcoming release . We had hoped to release 2.5
by the end of the year but this will have to be pushed back until after the
## Health report:
- User list traffic has been surprisingly low since July. Our last release
was in April and we saw an expected increase in traffic the following from
April to June as users upgrade. I would have expected traffic to taper off
- Dev list traffic has been about normal considering we haven't had a flurry
of activity preceding a release.
- I am concerned about stagnation and level of diversity among the project's
committers and PMC members. These concerns were brought up on our dev list
in a thread I started earlier this week to discuss this report .
Unfortunately, I failed to give the community much time to respond before
this report was due so I'm hopeful more replies will come. Two
committers/PMC members did share my concerns. One person shared a possible
contributing factor  but no ideas were expressed as of yet on how to
improve it. I do have some ideas we could try but wanted to first solicit
input from others to get an idea of the level of interest and engagement. I
would like the community to attempt to discuss this further and try to work
to improve the health between now and when our next report is due in March.
At this time, I do not feel intervention from the board is required. That
said, we would certainly welcome any input from members who want to chime
in on our dev list with advice or bring up topics more appropriate for the
PMC to discuss on our private list.
## PMC changes:
- Currently 7 PMC members.
- No new PMC members added in the last 3 months
- Last PMC addition was David Hutchins on Tue Jun 19 2012
## Committer base changes:
- Currently 8 committers.
- No new committers added in the last 3 months
- Last committer addition was Young Hyun Oh at Sun Dec 08 2013
- Last release was 2.4.2 on Thu Apr 16 2015
## Mailing list activity:
- 133 subscribers (up 0 in the last 3 months):
- 60 emails sent to list (241 in previous quarter)
- 168 subscribers (down -1 in the last 3 months):
- 9 emails sent to list (28 in previous quarter)
## JIRA activity:
- 17 JIRA tickets created in the last 3 months
- 6 JIRA tickets closed/resolved in the last 3 months