These are the notes for the Struts 2.0.7 distribution.
For prior notes in this release series, see Release Notes 2.0.6
- If you are a Maven user, you might want to get started using the Maven Archetype.
- Another quick-start entry point is the blank application. Rename and deploy the WAR as a starting point for your own development.
<name>ASF Maven 2 Snapshot</name>
- Cookie Interceptor: Inject cookie with a certain configurable name / value into action. (Since 2.0.7.) (WW-1678). Being new, the Cookie Interceptor is also labeled "experimental" in this release.
- DevMode has been set to the default "false" setting on all example applications. DevMode impacts performance and should only be set to true during development or debugging (WW-1781).
- The Select tag is enhanced to work with non-string list keys when "multiple" is set to true (WW-1747).
- A Performance Tuning page is added.
- Thanks to Musachy Barroso, we have spiffy new buttons for the Struts 2 home page.
- A consistent set of "camelCase" names for interceptors and results are available. Instead of "model-driven", you can now use "modelDriven". The hyphenated names will rename available until at least Struts 2.1.0 (WW-1707).
- Several minor patches have been applied. See the Issue Detail log for specifics.
Experimental Features and Plugins
Please help us test these brave new features. Feedback appreciated!
- Java 1.4 support: We are backporting the core Struts and XWork JARs, and, as a courtesy, bundling them with the distribution. However, Struts 2 is being coded for Java 5 and backward compatibility is not assured.
- Cookie Interceptor: Inject cookie with a certain configurable name / value into action (since 2.0.7) (WW-1678).
- Portlets: Automatic portlet support allows portal and servlet deployments with no code changes (WW-1645@S2jira).
- AJAX Theme: AJAX tags look and feel just like standard Struts tags but provide greater interactivity and flexibility. The AJAX theme is backed by the popular Dojo Toolkit (WW-1609).
- Zero Configuration: Optionally, eliminate or reduce XML configuration with convention and annotation (WW-1491).
- REST-ful URLs: Use search-engine friendly URLs, like category/action/movie/Thrillers (WW-1475).
- Experimental Plugins
- Codebehind Plugin: Reduce mundane configuration by using "page controller" conventions (WW-1515).
- Plexus Plugin - A new plugin that enables Struts Actions, Interceptors, and Results to be created and injected by Plexus.
- Scope Plugin - Initial version of scope plugin that mimics JBoss Seam-style of scoped bijection (presently in the Sandbox).
- Struts1 Plugin - A new plugin that allows you to use existing Struts 1 Actions and ActionForms in Struts 2 applications..
- Tiles Plugin - A new plugin allows your Struts actions to return Tiles pages. The Tiles plugin is dependant on Tiles 2, which is still in beta.
- Struts 2.0.7 is a milestone version in the 2.0.x series. Struts 2.0.6 is the prior GA release.
- The Release Manager is Ted Husted.
- The tag date for the release is 19 March 2007, circa 1pm PST.