This is a draft document - it can be changed at any time by anyone.
This document is intended to introduce a high level design of an application framework for the Apache Open for Business project.
The application framework will be written in Java and it will provide the basic structure to write an application. The framework will provide the following basic functionality:
- Globalization (locale, time zone, currency).
- Security (authentication/authorization).
- Actor Management (profiles, roles - required for security; Actors - people, external services) Think of UML Actor. Required to remove dependency on Party
- Data Store (entity engine).
- Lang package to provide classes that are fundamental to the framework
- Runtime management.
Single jar file.
- Compact, small memory footprint.
- Scalable from SBCs to enterprise-class ERP systems.
- Reuses existing technologies.
Easy to configure and maintain.
Design Participants Note
Please take some to watch this presentation by Joshua Bloch: How to Design a Good API & Why it Matters.
- Library: OFBiz Configuration
- Java package name: org.apache.ofbiz.foundation.config
- Library: IBM ICU4J
- Java package name: org.apache.ofbiz.foundation.globalization
- Library: SLF4J
- Library: Apache Shiro, OFBiz
- Java package name:org.apache.ofbiz.foundation.security
- Library: OFBiz
- Java package name: org.apache.ofbiz.foundation.actor
- Library: OFBiz Entity Engine, JDBC
- Java package name: org.apache.ofbiz.foundation.entity
- Library: JMS, Quartz Scheduler
- Java package name: org.apache.ofbiz.foundation.service
Lang - Data Types
- Library: Apache Commons Lang, Apache Commons Convert, OFBiz
- Java package name: org.apache.ofbiz.foundation.lang
- Library: eHCache
- Java package name: org.apache.ofbiz.foundation.cache