There are some clearly defined functional areas in the OpenOffice.org project. These are not rooms with walls separating them, but areas of focus. Many project members work in more than one functional area, and any member is encouraged to participate across any or all of these areas.
- PMC is the group of elected PMC members who have oversight of the project, who elect new committers and who vote to approve releases
- Development (Dev) includes the C++/Java programmers, including specialists like UI design, accessibly, performance, core localization (Bidi, IME, etc.) etc.
- QA includes the testing, manual and automated
- Translation/Localization provides the linguistic and cultural adaptability of the product
- Documentation includes in-product help as well as web-hosted documentation
- Support includes the support forums
- Marketing includes publicity, events, whitepaper, promotion, etc.
- Committers are the group of contributors elected by the PPMC and who have submitted an iCLA; they may perform any/many of the roles above, and also have the ability to checkin code to the repository and any wiki directly (this is not a functional distinction, more of an organizational one)
There are several near-term milestones for the project that are inherent to the Apache Incubation process, and to the this project specifically:
- First Build is reached when we have received and stored into the repository the code from Oracle necessary to build the current version of OpenOffice.org on Windows, Linux, Mac and Solaris;
- First Release means that we have a build that is approved by the PPMC and IPMC for release.
- OpenOffice.org Website transfer. Oracle has offered to keep the existing OpenOffice.org website up for a transition period. But we must develop a plan for how we eventually host that site.
- Graduate from Incubation means that we are approved to become an Apache Top Level Project (TLP). This will be the final milestone for Incubation.
For each Functional Area and for each Project Milestone, we should have a plan, listing tasks that need to be done as well as names of project members who have volunteered to help with the task. Tasks without volunteers are fine. This will help us identify where we need help. Please link to existing information where relevant.
OpenOffice.org Website transfer
Open Issues (Until we have Bugzilla set up)
- Need to resolve the status of the OpenOffice.org "contribute" page , before Apache takes ownership of the website.
A first overview of what we have to do to make the code base Apache conform in case if IP can be found under the "Migration" page.
To track the IP clearance process in more detail we document the ongoing work under IP Clearance.
I want to rename this page to "Project Planning - Incubation". So wie can also plan the recent project with new pages.